Metformin

mariab

Hi Everyone

I've been away from the forum for a while. I thought I could manage this on my own and that it wasn't really happening.

HOWEVER, I can't and it is!! My GP wants me to start on metformin, the pharmacist said that she felt the GP's were very quick to put people on medication and told me to get a second opinion. My bg have risen a bit but I have been very stressed lately (lost my dad, new grandchild and very busy in work) and I wondered whether that's why they're up because I'm eating the same things (mostly low carb).

I wondered if you can go on metformin for a while and then come off it if your bg's come down again or are you on it forever once you start?

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The problem with Type 2 is that you don't know how long you were undiagnosed and this can effect how much pancreatic function you have left and insulin resistant you are.

Metformin isn't a magic bullet, but it does reduce levels by 1 -2 mmol/l and has cardiovascular protective properties.

Stress does raise your levels, but it may be worth giving metformin a try. Borofergie has had his metformin taken away because his levels got better, so it isn't always for life thing.

I was quickly increased onto 2550 mg of metformin within about four months of diagnosis, so it sounds like you have been given longer than many without any meds.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin is a very safe and well-proven drug. It's the sort of drug you can stop or start without real issues although I wouldn't suggest you treat Met as a sweet; follow any prescription. If you are prescribed Met standard and you have any stomach upsets, then insist on the SR (Slow Release) version. Be aware that Met does reduce your appetite and I had the fairly common metallic taste with food for around 6 months; it does disappear.

Grazer

Agree with all above. No real downside from going on metformin - I started on it through choice purely because of the cardio protection it gives, even though my BGs were well controlled on diet alone. Ask for the SR version from the outset - only a bit more expensive, so why should we risk the tummy upsets with the other stuff.

jokeav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

My GP has also prescrobed metformin for as she said my BG was higher than accepted level.
I have been diet controlled for approx 6 years.
After starting the metformin I had stomach cramps and diahorea and on two occassions I noticed blood when I used the toilet, bright red and in the water not in the stool.
This has happened three times in two weeks.
I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience as I have never had problems like this before.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
jokeav said:
Hello

After starting the metformin I had stomach cramps and diahorea and on two occassions I noticed blood when I used the toilet, bright red and in the water not in the stool.
I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience as I have never had problems like this before.

I would go and see your GP, if you are passing any blood then it needs to be checked out. Hopefully it will be down to the diarrhea and Metformin, but please see your GP.

ANN

MichaelUK

jokeav said:
Hello

My GP has also prescrobed metformin for as she said my BG was higher than accepted level.
I have been diet controlled for approx 6 years.

you need to see your gp, i have had bouts of diarrhea with bleeding a couple of times since being on metformin for the last two years, any ways colonoscopy came back clear so i have been taken off metformin for a two week trail, diarrhea has cleared up completely, not taken metformin for the last six days and my bowels are a lot happier for it, to be safe talk to you gp.

mariab

Thank you for your replies - I was reluctant to start medication because my GP said that once I was on it I would never be able to come off it (he also said that it was inevitable that I would have to go onto insulin).

You've put my mind at rest so I'll give it a go.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now you are going on Metformin, if you are in England don't forget to get a prescription exemption certificate - you will get any prescriptions free with this. Your doctor will have the form for it.

jokeav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thanks for your replies.
I have booked an appointment to see my GP next week and will report back with her response.
I am going to ask her for the metformin SR though to see if it does reduce the side effects.
I am also trying to reduce my weight and hope that this will have a positive effect on my blood count.
Its very comforting to read about the experiences of others, thanks everyone.

sugerfree

just started my meds,cant stop going for wees,when i sleep and wake.i dont know where i am,scarey.but dont feel as tired.early days yet .does anyone else have this problem and is it normal :crazy:

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
Yes, when I started taking it 2 years ago I was constantly on the loo. Now I still have odd days when I have to do a mad dash but it is controlable. I still have sleeping problems but I can't blame that on the Metformin as I have always been bad but perhaps it is worrying about the Metformin that is giving you sleep problems?

Give it a while longer but if you find it too difficult ask the doctor to put you on something else. :)

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on 1 x 500mg Metformin a day, 1st few weeks bad stomach constant loose bowels same time each day, but is so much better now body is used to it. Still get the odd days of urgency but mainly ok now.

Dhemps41

Currently on 3 x 500mg per day I've just had my second sets of blood done my hpa1c results are still way high I'm doing everything my GP says anyone else had this issue?

Cosy

I had an unfortunate incident in the street on my way from beach (no toilets on the beach) last year and am really getting paranoid about this years holiday. Can anyone tell me would it be possible for me to stop the metformin for a couple of weeks while I am away or would that be silly ? I just have no control whatsoever when this happens, it does not happen every day but I dont get any warning of needing to go......sorry if too much information ! I had thought of just staying by the pool but I dont even think I would have time to get to the loo there either and I like to go to the beach. I am due at my doctor next week and am going to discuss this with him but just wondered if anyone else had any ideas. Thought the low carbing was helping it but had a near miss yesterday at home so not the case. Thanks for any advice :)

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cozy - I cut wheat out of my diet and I can tollerate metformin much better. Just a thought, may be worth trying before your holiday.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Cosy, you can't go on like that. Explain all of this to your Doc and ask him to switch you to Metformin slow release. They don't like it due to cost but you have to sit there and be adament you won't leave because your quality of life is being so badly affected by it.

Ali

Cosy

Yes this is true I cannot keep on with this as I say it does not happen every day but the days that it does happen it is not pleasant just lucky I have been mostly in the house at the time. I will speak to him on Friday when I see him about and and hope he is helpful. :)