Carb counting - why no changes?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Defren said:
I think for me I have two issues that lead to the same thing. I am convinced rightly or wrongly if I reduce my weight, I will help my diabetes. The second prong is, getting my BG down as low as possible to keep complications at bay.

I think that they're both the same thing Def. By getting your BG under control your weight will drop. As it drops controlling your BG will get (a bit) easier. Do that, and you don't need to expend too much time worrying about complications.

Defren said:
It's very true we have no idea how active or inactive our pancreas' are, so all of us are very different. What is driving me crazy at the moment is I can't exercise, I never will be able too, so have to get the weight off with diet alone. At the moment the appetite suppressant in Metformin is keeping my appetite at an all time low, but I worry the weight may come off too quickly, I want it to come off and stay off.

It's not about exercise Def. Sure it probably helps a bit (and has lots of other health benefits), but the numbers don't add up when it comes to weight loss. I burn 200kcals a mile when I run. That'd mean that I'd have to run 17 miles to burn a single pound of fat (without eating anything extra because of it). You've probably heard all the Taubes stuff, but even the people on the other side of the debate agree. In her new book Marion Nestle says:
Why Calories Count said:
The number of calories [expended due to exercise] are likely to add up to a small percentage of those required for basal metabolism. Their number is also small compared to the number of calories that most people expend in a day.

She has an interesting theory as to why the establishment continues to promote exercise as a weight loss strategy:
Why Calories Count said:
This however does not stop food companies and government agencies from emphasizing physical activity as the primary strategy for losing or maintaining body weight. From a political standpoint, the advice to move more is much less threatening than advice to eat less. Moving more does not effect the economic interests of the food companies or any other powerful industry. In contrast, as we keep reminding you, simply eating less is bad for business.

KatieCat

hi Defren, I'm a little confused and worried now as I thought bg readings 2 hours after eating in the 5s were really good and also what most non-diabetics get (even on low carb diets)? Or do non-diabetics get bg readings in the 4s after 2 hours eating? Is that what we should be aiming for?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
KatieCat said:
hi Defren, I'm a little confused and worried now as I thought bg readings 2 hours after eating in the 5s were really good and also what most non-diabetics get (even on low carb diets)? Or do non-diabetics get bg readings in the 4s after 2 hours eating? Is that what we should be aiming for?

Readings in the 5s are not "good" they are excellent. I've been doing this for a year and my HbA1c is 5.2% (and hopefully falling). I still smile everytime I see a 5 on my meter.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
KatieCat said:
Thanks Borofergie, I'm new to all this and still learning :)! And Defren, it sounds like you're doing really well :).

She is doing great, apart from a slightly bruised backside. :***:

Defren

KatieCat said:

Please don't allow my paranoia and fear worry you, I would feel so dreadful if you did. 5's after meals are very good. I got into a panic because I tested for ketone's and didn't have any. I started thinking I had my carb measurements wrong, and that not loosing weight would possibly make me prone to diabetes complications. It was a bad day, and I just went into meltdown and came here to have a panic attack :lol: As you can see by the posts here, it was all unfounded and silly. You're doing so well, ignore my off day rant - please.

Defren

borofergie said:
Defren said:
I think for me I have two issues that lead to the same thing. I am convinced rightly or wrongly if I reduce my weight, I will help my diabetes. The second prong is, getting my BG down as low as possible to keep complications at bay.

I think that they're both the same thing Def. By getting your BG under control your weight will drop. As it drops controlling your BG will get (a bit) easier. Do that, and you don't need to expend too much time worrying about complications.

Defren said:
It's very true we have no idea how active or inactive our pancreas' are, so all of us are very different. What is driving me crazy at the moment is I can't exercise, I never will be able too, so have to get the weight off with diet alone. At the moment the appetite suppressant in Metformin is keeping my appetite at an all time low, but I worry the weight may come off too quickly, I want it to come off and stay off.

It's not about exercise Def. Sure it probably helps a bit (and has lots of other health benefits), but the numbers don't add up when it comes to weight loss. I burn 200kcals a mile when I run. That'd mean that I'd have to run 17 miles to burn a single pound of fat (without eating anything extra because of it). You've probably heard all the Taubes stuff, but even the people on the other side of the debate agree. In her new book Marion Nestle says:
Why Calories Count said:
The number of calories [expended due to exercise] are likely to add up to a small percentage of those required for basal metabolism. Their number is also small compared to the number of calories that most people expend in a day.

She has an interesting theory as to why the establishment continues to promote exercise as a weight loss strategy:
Why Calories Count said:
This however does not stop food companies and government agencies from emphasizing physical activity as the primary strategy for losing or maintaining body weight. From a political standpoint, the advice to move more is much less threatening than advice to eat less. Moving more does not effect the economic interests of the food companies or any other powerful industry. In contrast, as we keep reminding you, simply eating less is bad for business.

Thank you once again for such reassurance, I do worry about not being able to exercise, it seems I don't need to worry nearly as much as I was - thank you. (You can mop the tears from your shoulder now, I feel much better :mrgreen: ).

borofergie said:
She is doing great, apart from a slightly bruised backside. :***:

Indeed. Took a wee while before I could sit down again :mrgreen: Wonder if I burned any calories hopping around :lol: RUNS that way -----------> :wink:

KatieCat

hi Defren, no worries, I'm a bit of a panicker too!! It does sound like you're keeping to really healthy bg levels so please take heart :). Hugs.

Defren

KatieCat said:
hi Defren, no worries, I'm a bit of a panicker too!! It does sound like you're keeping to really healthy bg levels so please take heart :). Hugs.

A couple of us have joined http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ It calculates everything for you and makes life so much easier, come along and join us and see if it helps put your mind at rest. I love hugs, so here are some in return (((Katie))). You're doing well too, I think we (or at least me) just need a chill pill :lol:

Amal

Hi Defren,

First and foremost, your sugar readings are amazing, you should pat yourself on the back for that, some people would kill for readings like that. Also, trust me, I've attempted the carb counting and it was an epic fail, I had trouble understanding the scales and by the time I finally figured the scale reading out, my food had already gone cold. i figured, with carb counting, for me personally it's not worth the stress I was putting myself into, so now i eat carbs without being contious anymore. My hba1c is normally around 5--6%, I too am a bit on the heavy side and would love to lose at least 2 stones but I ask myself why do I want to lose weight, when Im completely healthy (thank God)? Society make us believe that the norm is to be extremely thin and that anything else is not acceptable with the media images that we're bombarded with. If we're healthy, thats the most important thing right, alongside our family, religion, friends etc?. Let us embrace our bodies (Sorry for drifting off topic a little). :)

Amal

Defren

Amal said:
Hi Defren,

First and foremost, your sugar readings are amazing, you should pat yourself on the back for that, some people would kill for readings like that. Also, trust me, I've attempted the carb counting and it was an epic fail, I had trouble understanding the scales and by the time I finally figured the scale reading out, my food had already gone cold. i figured, with carb counting, for me personally it's not worth the stress I was putting myself into, so now i eat carbs without being contious anymore. My hba1c is normally around 5--6%, I too am a bit on the heavy side and would love to lose at least 2 stones but I ask myself why do I want to lose weight, when Im completely healthy (thank God)? Society make us believe that the norm is to be extremely thin and that anything else is not acceptable with the media images that we're bombarded with. If we're healthy, thats the most important thing right, alongside our family, religion, friends etc?. Let us embrace our bodies (Sorry for drifting off topic a little). :)

Amal

Hi Amal,

This post is quite an old one now and I have moved forward in leaps and bounds since then. I exercise daily, and start week seven of the Newcastle diet on Monday. I have lost around 71 pounds, as of last Monday, and my figures are now almost always in the 4's and low 5's (blip yesterday with a 5.9, but that was a real one off).

There are no more tears, and I am the healthiest I have been in about a decade and a half. I have my foods I know I can and can't tolerate so am very confident in what I eat. I don't tolerate carbs well at all, so ultra low carb, and weigh absolutely everything. I make loads of low carb meals, from the low carb food forum here, and freeze them, so always loads of things to eat.

Life is completely different to what it was when I wrote the post here, and I had to smile sheepishly (sorry Grazer :lol: ) when I read it. It did take me back to a difficult time, that is now thankfully way behind me.

Oh, incidentally, my keto stix are always very dark purple these days :lol: