Bikers?

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I would love to go to the TT race event!! :thumbup: It's definetely on my 'Bucket list'! Went to the Isle of man once as a boy when we were on holiday in north wales and remember the crossing being really rough on the ferry!! :sick:

desidiabulum

BaliRob said:
Dear Desidiabulum,

I started on the same island as you - Java - and lived in Bogor one and a half hours by car west of jakarta and then Banyuwangi extreme east and south of Surabaya. Had a holdiday on Bali and was persuaded to buy a house in Sanur, Denpasar. Have used one of the most dangerous roads in Indonesia, i.e., Sanur to Gillimanuk for the ferry to Java but used a car for this - every journey I saw lorries into ravines and m/cycles up in trees or under lorries. You were so lucky not to have driven into a rain-filled hole during that trip - 50% motorcyclist die that way - the rest through outrageously extreme risk-taking. As for Paliatan and the Palace at Ubud - only tourists do not know what is in store these days (the small and very narrow roads are blocked completely by traffic from morning to night) - the community leaders and Regent just do not know how to deal with the nightmare so I stay away these days.

Thanks for the question - takes our minds off other problems - yes?

Rob

How sad -- I haven't been in Bali since 1985, but had heard about all the problems from old friends there (one of whom died in a motorbike accident, inevitably). I do still envy you living there, and am impressed that it's possible to keep going as a diabetic there -- I'd go mad not being able to eat pisang goreng.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Paul1976 said:
I would love to go to the TT race event!! :thumbup: It's definetely on my 'Bucket list'! Went to the Isle of man once as a boy when we were on holiday in north wales and remember the crossing being really rough on the ferry!! :sick:

Last time I went to the TT was the late 80's, make sure you go as there's nothing quite like it! :)

Grazer

My "Gang" did a bike ride to the TT races a while back. Crossing VERY rough, bike damage is "normal", and it rained every day so much that most races were cancelled. Still had fun! Did the Mad Sunday bit, although at a more sedentary pace than some of the loonies. If you want to go, don't book for next year, everywhere decent will be full! You need to book accomodation at least 15 months in advance. if you get good weather, nothing like it.

kazwbb

Former biker lady here, can't ride anymore due to a medical condition but hoping to move to a trike soon. Mine were an XJ900F (not the divvi) and an XV535.

I never drove a car (never learned) so I am really feeling the loss of transport :cry: I used to love my rallies and really want to get back to it.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Dear Desidiabulum,

Do not envy me - ok best weather in the world - but do not try to settle here - at least if your an old fogie like me straightlaced and with standards. During the past 20 years Bali has changed beyond all recognition. Come for a holiday but to buy a home and suffer all of the problems with lack of planning laws - you would be crazy. Bule (foreigners) are beset by regulations and it is so easy to fall foul of them - it's bit like a prison camp if you are the sort that enjoys the freedom the UK offers. Cannot say more here for obvious reasons. Oh, being a diabetic or suffering any other illness/accident is a calamity - insurance not available to senior citizens (at least at a price which they can afford) and with the British pension being frozen are the main reasons people return home.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
For all of the others who love the TT - did the deaths of (was it three or five) in the side-car events and the two or three (memory fails me) in the solo speed trials all in one season a number of years ago not make you feel that it was unethical?

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
Hi Steve, used to ride many moons ago, now riding wheelchair.
have had triumphs daytona, tiger, tridents, (both t150 and t160.)

Dolly 89

I'm a rider but of a different kind, here is my beast i ride atm
422905_10150563882271916_605338970_n.jpg

but i did used to race this beast
21046_244386871915_3772698_n.jpg