Safe lunch options in USA

dawnb64

We're holidaying in America this year, mostly in New York and Washington. I've never been before so can anyone help with cheap, low carb, lunch options please? I think dinners should be OK, even If we go to an Italian restaurant they usually have meat and fish dishes.

I know McDonalds do salads here and the grilled chicken ones look like they should be OK. Also you can go to Subway here and get your sub as a salad (ie no bread).

Are these available in America too? I know chains usually offer standard menus but if anyone has a first hand experience to share I'd be extremely grateful

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not been to the USA but friends tell me that most eating establishments are more than happy to cater for individual dietary needs there.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.

Topsec

We split our time between living in the USA & UK and let me tell you it is far far easier to eat out for a 'low carber' in US than it is here! Salads everywhere, will substitute foods from menus and lots of places even have low carb sections! :)

dawnb64

Many thanks for your replies.
It's good to know I won't struggle with finding somewhere to get lunch in America. Sounds as though my semi-vegetarian fussy son should be OK too!
Really looking forward to it - apart from the flight!!

Dawn

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
You should have no problems - everything is customisable (or should I say customizable). I usually get a salad with everything, which is usually enough to make up for any secret carbs that I might not have noticed.

NYC is wonderful. You'll have a great time.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been to America a few times, there's loads of things to eat, as mentioned you can have salads with everything and they do good salads. New York = fantastic steaks. Also find a good BBQ place, Dinasour BBQ is great.

dawnb64

Wow - sounds like the food is going to be an experience in itself!
Thank you. One less thing to worry about.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dawnb64 said:
Wow - sounds like the food is going to be an experience in itself!
Thank you. One less thing to worry about.

You have no idea...

American's have an obsesity crisis for a reason, the food is so good and the serving sizes are huge. Don't be embarassed to leave food on your plate, or to ask for a doggy bag. Appetizers are to share, so don't try ordering one for yourself. Expect to put on 7lbs minimum while you're in America, you can't avoid it, so don't fight it.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
If you've got the lifestyle channels on Sky then check out the 'man vs Food' show with Adam Richman,The Guys ability to eat past his stomach is Awesome!! :D

dawnb64

No... I don't want to put weight on while on holiday. I think I've lost more than 2 stone since Christmas and 7lbs in the last two weeks while being carb conscious. Another worry has been that of being uncomfortable in the plane seat. We'll be doing lots of walking so that should help - husband and kids pretty fit!

We don't have Sky - although there are occasional programmes we'd like to watch (particularly Formula 1 in the case of my boys), there's more than enough available on Freeview to keep us going most of the time. Did watch the programme a few years back about someone supersizing everything.

AMBrennan

Red Robin do burgers wrapped in salad* in addition to a range of buns. Not sure if it's exactly "cheap", though.

* As in, an explicit menu option.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went to America last summer and came back having lost weight. Being wheat intollerant and having my teenage daughter with me, we had burger meals quite a bit, but I threw the bread away. Lunches were mainly meat, salad and fruit bought from Walgreens or similar shops. Deli's could be a good place to get lunches.

I think it was all the walking I did sightseeing that caused the weight loss, my BS were pretty good when I was there too.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've eaten happily in the USA.Loads of salads with chicken, fish or burgers. Plus the chinese Buffets are good. You can pick whatever you want. Obviously you need to make the right choices, but the food is delicious.
Just as a slight aside,
I had one of the best cups of tea EVER at Burger King in Montreal [Real Orange Pekoe!]
Hana
Ps yes I know Montreal is in Canada, but it's not far from New York. Canadians often drive down to NY just for an evening at the theatre.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
))Denise(( said:
I went to America last summer and came back having lost weight.

That's only cos you weighed yourself with your purse in your pocket, and it was empty by the time you got back home.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
borofergie said:
))Denise(( said:
I went to America last summer and came back having lost weight.

That's only cos you weighed yourself with your purse in your pocket, and it was empty by the time you got back home.

:lol: :lol:

Defren

Topsec said:
We split our time between living in the USA & UK and let me tell you it is far far easier to eat out for a 'low carber' in US than it is here! Salads everywhere, will substitute foods from menus and lots of places even have low carb sections! :)

This is very true. America is much more food orientated than here, and will customise for all dietary types usually. You shouldn't have any problems at all, apart from the choice of what to order. :D

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Some of the smoked,secret family recipe seasoned,smoked and BBQ'd meats that some of the restaurants,delis and shacks serve looks absolutely delicous and SO tender!! Meaty heaven!! :D

Topsec

American's have an obsesity crisis

I have to disagree with you here. As I said we split our time between living here (UK) and USA. I think us Brits have the perception that all Americans are fat; that is not the case. I would agree that there is a lot of the real big people but I would have to say as a very rough perception (just based on people I see out and about shopping etc) in both places (Houston Texas) that more Brits are overweight than Americans. I think there they are either way way overweight or pretty 'normal'

We also tend to lose weight whilst there, I think that is because of the availability of salads and because we tend to do more sport whilst over there!

Anyway, I've gone off topic ;)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Topsec said:
I have to disagree with you here. As I said we split our time between living here (UK) and USA. I think us Brits have the perception that all Americans are fat; that is not the case. I would agree that there is a lot of the real big people but I would have to say as a very rough perception (just based on people I see out and about shopping etc) in both places (Houston Texas) that more Brits are overweight than Americans. I think there they are either way way overweight or pretty 'normal'

I think there are more extremes, lots of extremely fit people, lots of extremely fat people. Even when I weight 310lbs, I never felt fat in the US (I visit lots with work, and on vacation).

Where do you live when you're in the States Topsec?