Type 1 and weight loss.....

AnnaBanana

Hey all!

I was diagnosed T1 just over 3 yrs ago at 27yrs old. It was a bit of a shock, all the text book weightloss, lethargic, thirst like water was going out of fashion!

I was a size 12 back then and since becoming T1 I have gone up to a size 18 :( I have been scared of too much exercise because I hated the hypos and couldn't predict when they would happen at first. I've kind of got in a 'rut' I suppose. My diet is usually ok, I have always cooked my meals from scratch so main meals are pretty healthy but my sweet tooth is my downside.

Does anyone have any experience of trying to loose weight as a type 1? What worked for you? Do I just push through it and deal with any hypos that happen because they are inevitable? I did a low carb diet before I was diagnosed and of course that worked well, but can you do them as a T1? I tried asking my nurse but all I got was a tap on the knee and 'there there it'll be fine in the end' no actual advice!

I know the side effects of being T1 and overweight, and want to sort this out instead of letting it continue.

Thanks for reading, Anna

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been trying to exercise most days not too much as getting over a sprained ankle and have lost nearly half a stone now since i found out in march that im diabetic, the insulin at the start made me add on weight but its not too bad now. Im hoping Oralist comes back on prescription soon as would like to try that to get my BMI down to its ideal weight. If you talk to a dietician they can offer advice on types of food to eat to help weight loss.

jopar

Anne

Have you been on a Carb Counting course?

It's sounds like you've done the classic case of feeding your insulin, where instead of reducing insulin dose, the carbs have been increased to soak up the insulin...

If you learn carb counting, and how to effectively reduce your insulin to carbs.. You find easier to follow any weight watching diet... Then you can choose the most suitable one for you..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jopar said:
Anne

It's sounds like you've done the classic case of feeding your insulin, where instead of reducing insulin dose, the carbs have been increased to soak up the insulin...

If you learn carb counting, and how to effectively reduce your insulin to carbs.. You find easier to follow any weight watching diet... Then you can choose the most suitable one for you..

That's good advice from Jo as I didn't lose weight till I'd been on the DAFNE course, I think at some point we have all been guilty of feeding the insulin.

shop

jopar said:
Anne

Thats what happened in my case. I weighed about 8 stone st diagnosis. My weight crept up as my insulin went up. I lost the weight prior to doing the carb counting course by portion control and stopped snacking also reduced red wine ( only had 1 bottle a week anyway )

I would probably say do the course 1st as I had to learn quickly to reduce basal and bolus as previous doses were based on my size 16. I consequently was having hypos!!! I am now a happy size 12 and still learning ( self taught through the BDEC course ) However since starting that I have been offered a version through my hospital and will be attending several appointments. They will break it down for me and ensure that I am competent at each stage. ( I have been told I am already 1/2 way there ) It is complex at times but well worth the time and effort. I am determined to get it cracked despite the wobbles.

Good luck and I hope you find this helpful,

Lucy...xxx :)

jopar

I faired a bit better to a certain extent!

I lost over 3 stone went from 91/2 stone down to 6 stone :shock: but I've only managed to get back up to 81/2 stone it was hoped that when I started on the insulin pump I might regain the last stone, but alas in 4 years I've only managed to gain 2lb on a good day! So given up!

You can't beat the carb counting..

One lady that attended the DAFNE course I went on, wanting to lose a lot of weight and it worked she lost several stone, she actually worked at the hospital and about a year after doing the DAFNE, I almost walked right past her as I didn't recognise the new slim person she'd become and saw her again back along and she kept her weight off..

Defren

If you have a look at the food forum there are some really delicious low carb chocolate recipes that could help the craving, but keep the carbs and sugar down. Well worth a little peek. I have an almond cake in the oven as I type. All low carbs and nice and healthy.

Good luck.

shop

:) :) :)
jopar said:
I faired a bit better to a certain extent!

I lost over 3 stone went from 91/2 stone down to 6 stone :shock: but I've only managed to get back up to 81/2 stone it was hoped that when I started on the insulin pump I might regain the last stone, but alas in 4 years I've only managed to gain 2lb on a good day! So given up!

You can't beat the carb counting..

One lady that attended the DAFNE course I went on, wanting to lose a lot of weight and it worked she lost several stone, she actually worked at the hospital and about a year after doing the DAFNE, I almost walked right past her as I didn't recognise the new slim person she'd become and saw her again back along and she kept her weight off..

Jo,

I was just over 10 stone ( I am 5' 2 petite ) I am now 8 1/2 stone. I dont want to loose any more. I have had probs with weight since young. I was only 2lb born ( my mum had a heart defect ) At the age of 28 I had never gone over 7 stn and could eat whatever I wanted and never put weight on. I then developed an overactive thyroid and went down to 6 stn. Had radio iodine treatment and went up to 10 1/2 stn. Came back down to 8 and at that point was diagnosed with T1. So I want to try and keep a healthy BMI for me. I also have a bad knee and it is often exasibated (??? spelling) when I loose weight. I have had mucscle watege and need to try to buil muscle without making my knee worse!

Carb counting is definately the way to go though!

Amal

I have had trouble with my weight sinse about the age of 12, I'm now 19 and weigh 14 stone with a hight of 5ft 8inch's. I was diagnosed almost 4 yrs ago and prior to my diagnosis I lost like 3 stone due to un diagnosed diabetes. For once in my life I was classed on the BMI chart as okay, I loved it. But as soon as I started on the insulin I had gained all the weight that I had lost back. I do regular exercise but no change really to my diet- so the only result I'm getting is only maintaining my weight. I have to admit I do love my carbs, I could bread for breakfast and supper most days. Someone mentioned something about feeding the insulin, which is something which I feel I do at times. I was also told by my diabetic consultant that the higher dose of insulin you take, the hungrier you get, likewise the less insulin you take, you become less hungrier- I've tried this but have realised mysugar levels would just go high as a result to not really changing my diet. Someone mentioned that having diabetes and being overweight is not a good combo, as it brings along health risks, but I don't know is that always the case, because my health is in check (thank God) and I'm overweight. I'm originally Somali and, the common or average figure of a typical women is like my size, so it may be that the BMI chart is not always representative for different ethnic groups

Sorry, I've gone on a bit of a tangent

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
I gained some weight as I was advised to follow the 1u per 10g rule and to eat 'normally'. At the start, a few times I do admit I fed the insulin, I had been ultra low carb prior to my official diagnosis and felt as if I had starved myself, because the mistake I made was very low carb but also low calorie. This is the bit I need to balance really.

Muscle cramps, tiredness and glucose swings made exercise impossible at the start but the trick is to start small really.
I started to walk about 30 mins, and one Zumba class per week. I did this for a few weeks. Then added another Zumba.

After a couple of months, I now walk 2.5 miles about 2-3 times per week (or half hour on exercise bike if misssed). I do one run for 3 miles per week. I do 2-3 Zumba classes. Yesterday I covered over 20 miles on my exercise bike and today I walked about 5 miles...! I have my 3 mile run tomorrow. 8) It's very motivating when your fitness builds up.

I have lowered my carb again from moderate levels of 130-150g to around 50-100g - however I don't beat myself up if I have over 100g, as long as I know I'll be doing an hour of exercise the next day especially if that 100g gave me a decent calorie intake too.

I test my sugar before I head off, re pre exercise levels/snacks etc - this bit I can't really suggest because it was trial and error (and still is at times to be honest as I'm still only 5 months into my insulin regime)...if I know most of the insulin's out of my system within another 2 hours and I'm going to exercise and my level is 4-6 I take around 15g snack, if around 8 + I don't eat a snack but I have juice and test half an hour into my exercise anyway) But I do an hour of exercise usually so I do need to test half way through.

No exercise if I'm over 13, but that's not happened in ages. And if I've had a hypo pre exercise I just sort it and go home and take a rest as I'm so tired after a hypo anyway.

I started to log my food, activity and water in take on a website also - there's plenty out there, just google calorie counter or something and I'm sure something will show up. The website will usually allow you to log your height, weight and your goals etc and will help you track how you're getting on. I would like to find a Diabetic specific one, if anyone here can suggest?

So it's still early days, and yes I did get hypos from time to time but as I was testing before, and sometimes 15-20mins into exercise at the start, it's helped to feel a bit more relaxed. I did find it ruined my exercise a bit because, dealing with a hypo means missing out for about 10-15mins.

This is why I introduced the running later as being at home or exercise class, easier to stop and test. I've not actually had to stop and test but I take quick sugar and keep with the group anyway and I don't run too fast at the moment.

Good luck x

AnnaBanana

Wow! Thank you ALL so much for your replies. Sorry I only just replied, I'm getting over a nasty virus.

I really have been feeding the insulin, and I know this HAS to stop!! I am going to ask at my new doctors if they can get me onto the carb counting course. I had moved to the middle of Cornwall just before I was diagnosed, I moved to where I knew noone, there was nothing to do (closest pool was 13 miles away) and all little country roads which I hated walking along as so close to the traffic! I went from having a full time job and being on my feet all day very day to working part time in a job which didn't keep me very busy at all. Probably not very good reasons in reality, but at the time I didn't notice the effects it was having on me. My weight crept up quite slowly and I had more time to snack so my diet became worse, not better!

I have just moved very close to the Meanai straights. Lots of lovely walks here, on my doorstep, so I don't have to wait for the bf to have time to go too and drive me. Thinking back, I really did feel a lot better physically and mentally when I used to walk and swim. I think it's time to get back into my old habits, and this time It'll be a change of life style not a 'phase'.

Thank you, for all your inspiring stories and encouragement.
Anna :)

shop

AnnaBanana said:
Wow! Thank you ALL so much for your replies. Sorry I only just replied, I'm getting over a nasty virus.

I really have been feeding the insulin, and I know this HAS to stop!! I am going to ask at my new doctors if they can get me onto the carb counting course. I had moved to the middle of Cornwall just before I was diagnosed, I moved to where I knew noone, there was nothing to do (closest pool was 13 miles away) and all little country roads which I hated walking along as so close to the traffic! I went from having a full time job and being on my feet all day very day to working part time in a job which didn't keep me very busy at all. Probably not very good reasons in reality, but at the time I didn't notice the effects it was having on me. My weight crept up quite slowly and I had more time to snack so my diet became worse, not better!

I have just moved very close to the Meanai straights. Lots of lovely walks here, on my doorstep, so I don't have to wait for the bf to have time to go too and drive me. Thinking back, I really did feel a lot better physically and mentally when I used to walk and swim. I think it's time to get back into my old habits, and this time It'll be a change of life style not a 'phase'.

Oh Anna you will love it there, We holiday on Anglesey alot. You lucky thing. Can't wait till our next visit in the summer. Enjoy! Beaumaris is lovely and if you can get to it Llandonna beach :D

AnnaBanana

shop said:
AnnaBanana said:

Oh Anna you will love it there, We holiday on Anglesey alot. You lucky thing. Can't wait till our next visit in the summer. Enjoy! Beaumaris is lovely and if you can get to it Llandonna beach :D

Ahh thank you! It is a beautiful place to be. My partner works fitting tyres so gets jobs all over north and central Wales. Been on a fair few jobs with him since we moved up a year ago, we're both keen photographers so in our element! So many beaches to choose from up here! Haven't been to Llandonna that I remember but have been to Beaumaris a few times :) Hope you have a fantastic holiday! :)

shop

AnnaBanana said:
shop said:
AnnaBanana said:

Ahh thank you! It is a beautiful place to be. My partner works fitting tyres so gets jobs all over north and central Wales. Been on a fair few jobs with him since we moved up a year ago, we're both keen photographers so in our element! So many beaches to choose from up here! Haven't been to Llandonna that I remember but have been to Beaumaris a few times :) Hope you have a fantastic holiday! :)

Thanks we will :D xxx

AnnaBanana

While I was at my Dr's ordering more needles, I asked if I could see a dietitian. You have to be referred to see her, so I saw a nurse an hour later (That's good service!). She wasn't very confident in giving advice on changing diet to a diabetic, but is referring me to the dietitian and suggested a book which shows potion sizes of different foods and their weight / carb content. It'll be about 6 weeks until I can see the dietitian, so gives me time to make the changes which I feel are good, see how it works and get her opinion. Apparently there is a long waiting list for the carb counting course, but this book and reading up on it online will give me a good head start and will make me feel better about it which in turn will make me want to do it more!

So plans for the rest of today, lots of unpacking (lifting weighty boxes, lots of moving and stretching), house work then a nice healthy, low fat / carb meal for tea :) When I went shopping this morning, I bought a couple grapefruits for my lunch, which to be honest I could live off!!

shop

AnnaBanana said:
While I was at my Dr's ordering more needles, I asked if I could see a dietitian. You have to be referred to see her, so I saw a nurse an hour later (That's good service!). She wasn't very confident in giving advice on changing diet to a diabetic, but is referring me to the dietitian and suggested a book which shows potion sizes of different foods and their weight / carb content. It'll be about 6 weeks until I can see the dietitian, so gives me time to make the changes which I feel are good, see how it works and get her opinion. Apparently there is a long waiting list for the carb counting course, but this book and reading up on it online will give me a good head start and will make me feel better about it which in turn will make me want to do it more!

So plans for the rest of today, lots of unpacking (lifting weighty boxes, lots of moving and stretching), house work then a nice healthy, low fat / carb meal for tea :) When I went shopping this morning, I bought a couple grapefruits for my lunch, which to be honest I could live off!!

Thats excactly what happened to me i have started the carb counting course off my own back and it seems to be working despite the odd wobble. Now that I am being seen by my diebetic dietician and my DSN about carb counting it has helped as It has given me a head start. Also I lost the weight before doing the carb counting but portion size was definately the way I lost it

Good luck Anna and let us know how it goes,

Lucy :)

franclegg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
DAFNE works wonders - i think its all down to re-educating yourself how to eat. I have lost 5 stone snce doing the DAFNE course - 1 stone of this was lost after i went on the pump last November.
Remember - less insulin in - less weight on.

AnnaBanana

I tried to explain to the nurse yesterday that I had got into the habit of 'feeding' my insulin. She didn't know what I meant! I'm going to read up on the DAFNE today, I recently started reducing my portions, especially since finishing uni for the summer I'm not doing as much as usual, so the weight will go up if I don't change my habits anyway! When my bf gets paid at the end of the month, we'll have money to buy salad etc which will help a lot, I love it!
Has anyone else used the book Carbs & Cals? It has pics of meals / serving sizes for you to compare and count carb levels of serving?

It looked good from flicking through it, would like your views on how helpful it really is?

I shall remember this: ''Remember - less insulin in - less weight on'' Thank you!

Janekelleher1

Oh you are not alone I was diagnosed in October 2007 total shock first type 2 then type 1 lost 3 stone then all back on I cope by not eating carbs or very few and checking and adjusting the insulin I have had advice from diabetic nurses but I found it is up to mr I cannot eat sweet sugary things at all sadly I also go to a gym three tines a week miles better! I wad offered the carb counting course but it was for four full days in the week and I couldn't take the time off work. I know exactly how you feel though xx