Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
nesquick said:
A BIG THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO WROTE IN,

I really appreciate everyone's comments & I've taken on board what everyone has said to me. :)
Its been a good & bad day for me today,good in the sense that I visited my big sister & surprised her with a completely sugar free birthday cake which my best friend made for me especially.bad in the sense that my neuropathic pains were really bad today & both my feet were so painful.Thank fully my carer massaged my feet to ease the pain which helped tremendously.Also at lunch time I realised that had forgotten to take my pen injection so as I really couldn't do anything about it the day just carried on as normal although I was very careful as to not eat unessasarily except at 3pm when my sister has her snack when I presented her with the sugar free birthday cake.Anyway when I came back home the first thing that I did was to check my blood sugar level which was 27.4 I put on 22 units of insulin on & didn't eat anything as I was feeling slightly sick so before bedtime I tested again & my level was 7.9 so before finally going to sleep I had a glass of milk & a mini biscuit then went to sleep,during the night I woke up feeling unwell so tested my blood sugar level & it was 3.0 I had a medium sized glass of lucozade & went back to bed.I tested my blood level this morning & it was 9.7.
I would like to know whether I did things right or if forum members would of done things differently?
Anyhow I would just like to wish my fellow forum members a good day,I hope you all have a good one.
Take care.bye for now. :wave:

Hello Nesquick The birthday cake sounds very nice, could you get the receipe so I could pinch off you please :wink:

Over the past 5 months thi ngs have been happening in my life which has affected my blood sugars dramacially, very eratic and I have been in touch with my DSN who has now contacted the diabetes nurses at the hospital and they will call me this afternoon.

I am insulin sensitive and I have to be very careful about correction doses, I unit is supposed to bring me down by 3. Today at 12pm my BS was 21.6 :shock: so I really shoul take about 5 to bring it down, but I have to take a bit less otherwise I end up with hypo's and as I am on my own with my child, I really do try to not have too many hypo's, but uit proved difficult. My DSN said to take 4 units to bring it down and the vast amounts of worry and stress has played havoc with the BS's.

I really wouldn't want to say anything about how much you injected, because we are all so different with our ratio's. If you are unsure or worried about your diabetes regime have a word with your DSN which should help . ps my BS was 9.7 last night, but alas, higher this morning, doh :oops:

Have a great day with my very best wishes.

hi, i have been t1 for 28 years since i was 8 years old, i was the only one until my brother wad diagnosed type 2 about 5 years ago. i thought type 2 had a genetic link but was unaware of any genetic link with type 1...... until a week ago when my 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1. the nurse looked at me as if i should have known i was subjecting my daughter to this when i had her, i was later told that the risk is 3% from the mother and 6% from the father. i was wondering if anyone had more than one child with type 1 as i have 2 other children and want to be prepared, thanx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
michellehayward said:
hi, i have been t1 for 28 years since i was 8 years old, i was the only one until my brother wad diagnosed type 2 about 5 years ago. i thought type 2 had a genetic link but was unaware of any genetic link with type 1...... until a week ago when my 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1. the nurse looked at me as if i should have known i was subjecting my daughter to this when i had her, i was later told that the risk is 3% from the mother and 6% from the father. i was wondering if anyone had more than one child with type 1 as i have 2 other children and want to be prepared, thanx

Hello to you

I know a non diabetic lady in her 30's who now has 2 of her 4 children diagnosed with type 1. The first was a girl and recently the girls younger brother. I don't know of any diabetes on her side of the family but don't know about the husbands family history. They are a pretty active family and the lady in question has been involved in Judo since she was a youngster and know teaches. Very bad luck by the sounds of it :(

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

I've had type 1 diabetes for nearly 15 years since the age of 11. My Auntie has type 2 which she controls with insulin. My great grandmother had type 1 diabetes from a young age and I remember my grandma told me of her fear of needles after seeing the massive ones her mother had to use. I'm so appreciative of the advancements we've had in diabetes bg control and insulin. I just hope none of my nephews get it.

PS. My auntie's dog also had diabetes :wink:

I was diagnosed T2 last year aged 45.

My mum and her brother are both diabetic and three of my four grandparents were diabetic too.

According to my GP it was never a matter of if I got diabetes but when!!!

nesquick

It's the middle of the night & I have very bad backache,I've taken my painkillers but they don't seem to have worked I might have to take stronger ones to ease the pain :( just sitting here in my new recliner chair & a thought crossed my mind,it never occurred me to say this before but in my family history I think both sets of my grandparents were 1st cousins & my older uncle (fathers brother) married my older aunt (mothers sister) & then my father married my aunts younger sister due to the very close genetics it could be that abnormalities in the DNA could make different medical problems arise in the children born to those who are very closely related.
I would like to ask fellow forum member SANOBAR if this is the case in her/his family,because SANOBAR said that she/he was also of an Asian background :?:
Feeling slightly drowsy :yawn: after taking extra strong painkillers,I just hope that they work quickly as I have a very low pain threshold I really don't want to stay up all night with pain it's physically & mentally draining for me - How do other members deal with pain?
I'm thinking of going out alone today to the local shopping centre,after my dka coma last year it has left me with multiple health issues which includes epilepsy for which I'm taking medication & it seems to be under control,but I'm not the confident type never have been which in turn has been my major downfall in certain situations during my life.I will let fellow members know if I managed to venture out alone just the thought scares me but the funny thing is that once I'm out I don't want to come back home because of my other big D problem,yes you guessed right Depression the Demon :twisted: which has been haunting me for most of my young adult life till present day.
It's now exactly 3am & the painkillers that I took for my backache haven't helped I'm going crazy :eh:
To my fellow forum member who wanted the recipe of the sugar free cake I shall ask my friend Jane to give me the recipe so that you can enjoy it for yourself & also for the other forum members if they wish to try it out for themselves.Unfortunately I cannot stand long enough to cook proper home cooked Asian curries,I miss making some things,my late father taught me to make some things & my mother taught me certain things but as I'm dyslexic & in Maths as well it makes my life extremely difficult at times when I have to try & calculate the dosage of insulin I have to give myself,anyway back to making curries the easiest curry that my late father taught me was BAKED BEAN CURRY yes really if anyone is interested then I will gladly give the recipe & how to make it,it's so easy & very quick to make.Unfortunately I am allergic to chillies & being of Asian background it's very hard for me as I am extremely limited to just divulge in some of my favourite curries & I can't go to Indian restaurants or friends/relatives houses unless they prepare a chilli free meal at times I really want certain foods like mince/vegetarian samosas which I love but trying to find someone who is willing to take time out & make specially prepared foods is hard.I have on certain occasions tried chilli curries & have paid the price for it as inside my mouth/tongue the pain/blisters are just too much too bear for me,so chillies are banned for me :silent: It's a real shame but I dare not take the risk.
SANOBAR do you think that me being allergic to chillies has something to do with my diabetes or the fact that I have to take a vast amount of medications that has probably made inside my mouth highly sensitive to certain types of foods?
One way that I've found to buy curry is the Heinz Lentil soup aka Dhaal I also buy ready made chapattis but it doesn't compensate for the real deal.
It's now 5am & I've been wake all night with my backache which has slightly calmed down but not fully gone despite taking liquid morphine
I don't know with other diabetics but when I get pain or im ill with an infection my blood sugar levels become erratic.Does anyone else have this same problem? :?:
Anyway my new friends before I go I want to share this little saying with you all

LOOK TO YOUR HEALTH;AND IF YOU HAVE IT,PRAISE GOD,AND VALUE IT NEXT TO A GOOD CONSCIENCE;FOR HEALTH IS THE SECOND BLESSING THAT WE MORTALS ARE CAPABLE OF;A BLESSING MONEY CANNOT BUY.
(WALTON,IZAAK 1593-1683) ENGLISH WRITER

I hope that you all have a good day,take care.

Bye for now. :wave:

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sister was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes aged 40.
Some 9 years later I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, aged 40.
No one else in the family as far as we know.
Robert

solana

I developed type 1 diabetes when I was 16 in 1959 and have now been on insulin for 53 years. I developed it after having a severe attack of Asian flu. My mother told the consultant that I had inherited it from her mother who died from it in 1924 and that it had been brought on by Asian flu. He said "it is not inherited. It is not like haemophilia that is inherited." He said that it runs in families and can skip generations but it will always come out somewhere. In fact he was saying that there is a genetic link. He said that my bout of flu had no influence on my getting it though neither I nor my mother believed this.
Re: Flu - I believe that a link has now been established and that after a flu epidemic more people are diagnosed with diabetes though whether that is type 1 or 2 I have no idea. So he was wrong about that.
Re: the Genetics - since tracing my family history I have discovered that diabetes is rife in my grandmother's family. I made contact with a 3rd cousin who informed that of his 9 cousins 5 have type 1 diabetes. I was one of three children and I was the only one who got it.
In my case it skipped a generation but I decided I could not have any children because I had no right to pass this condition on to future generations. I was aware of the risk. It will be interesting to see whether it manifests itself in the generations that might be born to my brother's children or their children. Maybe it will just die out in this family but I doubt it.

Parky

Hello, this is my first post to the forum and the genetic link interest me.
I developed T1 30 years ago at 30 years of age. there is no-one known in my family who had diabetes before me. My son developed T1 at age 23 about 4 years ago. It seems to me that it must be associated somehow to the genes. As soon as medical staff knew that I was T1 they immediately assumed there was a genetic link between myself and my son.

Glynis1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cats, loud music and yoghurt
Hi, I have had diabetes type (1) since age of 7 years (1966). My father was diagnosed at age of 33 years with type (1) 2 years before (1964). This is apparently was quite unusual and diabetes professionals where always interested in us. I don't know if this is still an unusual occurrence with type 1. There were no known cases of type1 or type 2 before our diagnosis but subsequently type 2 was diagnosed in my maternal grandfather. Possibly a coincidence - who knows?

Tuesday

Dislikes
Carb confusion
I've had T1 diabetes for 17 years, since I was 24 years old but first had gestational diabetes 5 years earlier when I was 19 and 7 months pregnant. My father had T2 and my mom was diagnosed with T2 about 8 years ago. None of my siblings have it but there are other endocrine conditions in the family.

This is a really interesting thread because I do believe that I was predisposed to having diabetes at some point in my life. A doctor once told me that it's possible that my beta cells were wiped out or heavily depleted when I had pleurisy as a teenager. I also believe that research is getting closer...to something.

pickledpepper2

Interesting thread.

My fathers side of the family, whom I know very little, has T2 bad. Father has it, his sister has it, his younger brother did too before he passed away from a tumor a few years ago. My fathers first cousin has it too. That's the cases I know of.

In my siblings my sister and I have it, but I heard today my brother might too?

I know that my paternal great grandfather was blind, whether he was born that way or developed it, I don't know, but I think odds are he developed it later in life - this seems to suggest diabetes to me. My paternal grandfather never had blood glucose issues until shortly before he passed away in his 90s. I'll put that down to old age though.

On my mum's side no one I am aware of has it.

I'm just wondering if we have weak pancreases in the family? I know a lot of drinking goes on but then how would that explain my aunty who doesn't drink?

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I'm the only diabetic in my family on both sides, though there is a rumour that my paternal grandfather had it. He died in the 1940's and no-one really knows. When I was diagnosed my mum and 3 sisters were tested and they have normal sugar levels.

nesquick

Hello Everyone,

I hope that you all are keeping well? I'm in pain due to the neuropathy,it's always my back,legs & feet that are the worse affected but as they say Life Goes On :!:
It's really interesting to hear other forum members going through their family history to see whether if Diabetes runs in their families past & presently.I'm pretty sure that other family members of mine who are not very closely related to me also had the Big D,some have passed away & others are t2.The more I read people's family history the more interested I become,like in my immediate family there are 5 of us who are Diabetic.I am particularly interested in myself & my brother,we both suffer from blood clotting problems,my brother first developed a DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) & then he had a PE ( Pulmonary Embolisim) I got my first Multiple PE when I was just 21yrs old,so far I have had Multile PE'S twice after,I have also had a blood clot at the back of my eye.My brother & I were tested to see if there wa s a genetic link as to why we both developed life threatening blood clots so early in our lives,needless to say the doctors really couldn't understand why we both had suffered from blood clots-I don't understand if it's sheer bad luck or a genetic abnormality due to the close family relation my parents were :?:
Does anybody know if there has been a study of family members who have multiple people with diabetes in their history,whether it's t1 or t2? I would like to hear from anyone who knows of such study whether they are just normal people or if they are in the medical profession.I am not a highly educated person but since joining the forum I have become more interested in Diabetes & taking care of myself more carefully making sure that I eat more healthily & trying to exercise more,even though it is extremely painful for me due to my backache & neuropathic pains but I'm not going to let that hinder my attempt to get healthier & fitter as I'm not getting any younger (im 40)
Anyway before I go I would like to share this saying with you

WHO SHALL DECIDE WHEN DOCTORS DISAGREE?

ALEXANDER POPE (1688-1744) BRITISH POET
moral Essays III

Take care,bye for now. :wave:

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
My sister and two brothers all had type 2 diabetes i also have it and a neice and nephew are type 1 diabetics my parents didn't have it.Where it started we have no idea.

Amal

I developed type 1 at 16yrs of age, I'm now 19. Much of mý dads family has diabetes. My dads sister developed type 2 shortly after I was diagnosed, a couple of my dads cousins have diabetes and I believe that almost a year ago one of my nephews developed type 1 at the age of 9 I think. I would love to know what causes diabetes, and God willing a cure will be found :))

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Amal said:
I developed type 1 at 16yrs of age, I'm now 19. Much of mý dads family has diabetes. My dads sister developed type 2 shortly after I was diagnosed, a couple of my dads cousins have diabetes and I believe that almost a year ago one of my nephews developed type 1 at the age of 9 I think. I would love to know what causes diabetes, and God willing a cure will be found :))

My wish is that a cure will be found for Diabetes, but I don't think it will be in my time. So...................... I decided, last year, that I am going to leave my body to science, a hospital university, for a year, so they can have a good look at my insides. Only one member of my family knows what I want to do.

I became diabetic after my husband left home, I had 2 children, had suspected Colitis, felt very, very ill with lots of stomach problems, then in August 1989, I had Type 1. Shock or illness could of 'triggered it off but no one actually knows for sure.

I will be happily looking down, knowing that I have contributed a little bit to researching this chronic disease, especially when it affects children :(

I