Light bulb Moment!

rayofhope

Hi All

I am new to the forum but have found it most inspiring and useful.

I am ashamed:oops: to admit that I have been in complete denial for the last six years [:0]Since I discovered quite out of the blue that my husband was seriously ill; all thoughts about myself have flown out of the window and all I could worry about was him and our little girl.

I was diagnosed as a MODY at age 21 ( though never genetically tested just told) I am now 38. I was perfectly controlled for ten years or so and in the last six years I haven't tested that much, ate what I wanted when I wanted (made worse because I am a comfort eater and eat in times of stress!), didn't attend my diabetic appointments etc.

Anyway the good news that I would like to share is that I am now on the road back to control. I have made appointments at the diabetic clinic, to have my blood tested and my eyes tested and photographed.

I am controlling what I eat and my sugars are coming down, I am exercising more too. I want my medications reviewed also because I take insulin and Metformin SR But you see I was only put on insulin for my pregnancy and have never come off. I admit my HbA1c is 9.0 but again I am ashamed to admit this but it is this high because of my eating patterns.

I am not very good at opening up and do not like talking about myself but I really want to get my diabetes under control and am taking positive steps towards that before I end up with anymore medical problem.:( I just wanted to share and thanks for the inspiration and good tips guys.:D

Keep Smiling!

Keep Smiling!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Rayofhope,

Many thanks for sharing your story with us. Sounds like you are doing all the right things to get your diabetes back under control. If you can just hold on to that new-found determination then you will get there.

If any of us can help you with advice or ideas then just ask, that's what we are here for. Good luck to you.

lufc

Well done on turning yourself around.

I could have almost written that myself. I also have missed appointments and had terrible control, but I am now eating healthy, testing more with good results and have an appointment booked for the end of March so am hoping all my hard work pays off.

Keep up the good work, you are doing great!!

Claire x

ChocFish

Hi RayOfHope - welcome to the forum

Well done there making a renewed effort, I just know what you mean about being in denial and comfort eating, I became quite ill with complications until I realised I need to face up to reality, I am ok now though and not even on meds any more.

Hang in there girl, try to let go a bit more, helps with the comfort eating and you know its true, a problem shared is a problem halved, this letting go and talking about worries, fears, etc has to be learnt though, its hard, or at least it was hard for me, whenever I was asked how I am I would smile and say oh I am absolutely fine, thank you while thinking 'if only you would know the truth, it must never come out' trouble is all this holding in is adding to stress and worries - hmmm hindsight is a great thing really huh?

All the best to you

Karen x

Challenges can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones, it depends how you view them

rayofhope

Thank you all for your comments it really is a comfort to know that I am not the'only one. Had my blood taken today so up and onwards I go:)

Keep Smiling!

toeless2

Its great to read that im not the only one, glad youve seen sense, i learnt the hard way, but am also turning things round. Ive also just signed up for my local race for life which should be a challenge.

StephenFromScotland

Hi RayofHope,
You hang in there! You will be fine!
We are all here to listen to any prob what so ever;)and good for you:DKeep it up!
You will find your way around this I'm sure.
Everyone here is so nice and I love coming here even just to read other posts,it doesn't matter what problmes you have,if you want to share them then go ahead,at the end of the day, we are all on the same boat and thats why we all understand.

I have NEVER been in so much control of my blood glucose with a never ending thanks to fergusc in leading me to eat until i am stuffed and obatianing a level of 5.0 flatline (please read his posts!) of a very low carb diet and avoiding things my dietician told me not to eat, I am LADA which steers more to type1 from type 2.
Anyway, karen inspires me and gives us all hope here which i am going to try the flax oils (linseed) and experiment a bit.
What i am saying to you is test test test and make a few mistakes! (we all have!) and keep letting us know how you feel;)
As I say, everyone is different,
keep slightly higher carbs during the day if you are active and save the low carbs until evening with a wee drop of red wine;)

You must eat and it's all about balance,and i know all too well about comfort eating!,fall in love with macadamia nuts!!!
In italy,so many people are mis-interpretited about the continental way of living,I have had a very continental upbringing due to my mothers side of the family. it all makes sense now! and also with thanks to fergusc:D

I have found my own way,
2 slices of toast or 100g museli for breakfast
baked potato and beans for dinner(lunch) or pasta
Stick to meat and cheese tea time(eve)
Few crackers and cheese before bed (stops liver glucose dump) through night
oh and a glass or 2 red wine:D
I know this will differ from you and many,but I have managed to get in control this way,but experiment and experiment, test test test!
What about cottage pie? mince,cheese carrots, purree'd cauliflower or celariac topping roasted,followed with pine nuts or macadamias?

Muck about,there is time, and see what suits you best;)
ps.have and apple every couple of hours too!
Anyway im rambling on sorry:oops:
Speak soon
stephen

Lynda Kay

Good for you!!!

Taking responsibilty for your health is one of the greatest gift you can give yourself and your loved ones.

Live life to the "healthy" fullest.

Keep it up. :)

Happy Trails,
Proverbs 17:22

sugar

Hi there Rayofhope...your user name has me humming that annoying Madonna tune now, and I can't get it out of my head!

I too had terrible control for a number of years...most of my teenage years and early 20 to be honest, but like you, realised how stupid I was being, and have turned the corner...in effort, and also in results.
Personally, I think that you are doing a great thing. Try not to be too hard on yourself...no one is perfect. Just puuting in teh effort has improved things for me no end...and tips and advice from the lovely people here help as well. It sounds like you have had a tough time over the past few years...and it easy to let things slide. Only a machine like person wouldn't understand that...but you are back "on the wagon" now.
Wishing you the best of luck for your forthcoming appointments...hope you get the results you deserve..make sue you let us know!