just found out im a diabetic.

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i have just come out of hospital after a dramatic 2 day stay. i am 10 years old. on monday morning i went to the doctors because i had been weeing alot and had been being very thirsty, i had also lost quite a bit of weight. i went to the doctors (as i was saying) on monday and i did a urine test, and the doctor told me that i had got diabetes and she sent me too the hospital. when i got there they did the first finger-prick test (ouch!) and then i went to the treatment room were they put a canular (i think thats how you spell it) in the top of my hand. after that it was a day of blood and ketone testing ( and sleeping!) in hospital. i had to stay one night and( even though its only been two days) i can do my injections and blood and ketone testing by myself! i have to do it 4 times a day. i saw the diatition and (thankfully) i dont have too change too much of my food as i didnt eat too many sweets!
if anybody has some good advice i would be extremaly thankfull!
from chloe. :)

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi Graham,
thanks for your message. shame i havent heared from anyone else (yet!).
from chloe.
p.s. if you do think of anything it would be very helpful! :D

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Chloe

No advice from me as you seem to be well on top of what must have been a bit of a shock. I'm very impressed with your maturity and attitude. I think you have coped so far better than some adults!

Read the threads on here and ask anything at all. There are people here of all ages and I don't even think you're the youngest.

ps how are your parents coping?
:wink:

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi wiflib,
thanks for your post on here, its great to hear from two people that sound like they know what they are talking about. i have found that going on this website has helped me cope better. my mum is more upset than i am but she is getting better, and my dad has phobia too blood and needles wich dosn't help much! my mum and dad and all the family are saying that i am coping very well!
from chloe.
p.s. thank you again!

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Chloe,
Your fantastic doing all your injections, blood and keytones so soon, well done. I have a son whos 10 next month and was diagnose T1 in Feb 2006, like you he now deals with all his diabetes stuff. As for your Mum give her some extra cuddles, its a big shock for our babies to have to deal with and with you being so independant, shes maybe feeling a little useless! Its just a thought, i know when Andrew started doing everything for himself i felt redundent!
It might be a good idea to let your Mum see this sight, it might help her to deal with your diabetes, and if you need any advise ask your diabetic nurse, or post a question here, there are lots of people who have been at your stage, and Mums like me who would gladly be of help,to yourself or your Mum.
Take care
Suzi

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi suzi,
thanks for all your nice message's, i have a diabetic nurse coming to see me tommorow morning and i have plenty of questions fo her but if i think of any others when shes not here i think that i am going to post them here. how does your son cope with the injections? i sometimes get upset doing them as if you catch them in the wrong spot it hurts and i prefer doing them in my tummy. has he had a hypo yet? ( i hope that you dont mind answering my questions, you dont have too if you dont want too.)
from chloe.
P.S. thanks alot!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Dear Flojo
You sound like a wonderful 10 year-old. It's pretty hard to get to grips with something like this when you're so young. You will need to learn a lot. Obviously you are capable if you are doing your own injections already. You'll need to get your Mum or Dad trained. there are a few children and some parents ( and Grandparents)on this forum, so you will be offered any help you ask for

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi hanadr,
thank you for your lovely post it was very nice. all of them are nice. guess what? on the first day my mum could do my injections for me. but my dad has a phobia of needles and blood so that isnt great! please do keep in contact.all of you. its realy helping me.thanks
from chloe
P.S. does anybody have an idea what to do for halloween as diabetics cant have many sweets? :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi again Chloe
Obviously keep off the sweets. I've just discovered profiteroles. the frozen ones from Iceland are delicious and pretty low in carbs. You don't need to worry too much about cream It's not bad for diabetics.
I'm actually not surprised that Mum was able to cope better than Dad. Mums are like tigresses and will do anything for their cubs, however difficult. Dads tend to be softies. If they want to write to us too, tell them we'll do our best for all of you.
It looks like you have wonderful parents who are helping you to grow up independent and strong.

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi hanadr,
have you just discovered profiteroles! i love them! mum thought of maybe getting money instead of sweets for halloween. i thought that that was a good idea. if my mum and dad ever need anything i will get your details if thats alright with you.
from chloe
p.s. THANKS!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Chloe
I'm enjoying your posts. You can have sweets, but they must be of the sugar free kind. There are loads out there. The only problem with them is that they are made of artificial sweeteners, which can give you the runs if you eat too many, or 100% fruity bar things, which are just another form of sugar.
Sugar-free jelly can be ok. Try it with some berries and cream. Yummy. See if you can try some dark chocolate. Not that horrid Bournville stuff, but something like Lindt 70% or even 85%. Bung it in the freezer and crack your way through a square or two. My granddaughters, age 4 and 10 months, love it. I like to melt mine and coat some macadamia nuts, bung them in the fridge until the chocolate sets. My oldest granddaughter loves those too!

What sort of food do you eat? Do you eat a good variety of veggies? If you tell us the sort of things you eat in a day, someone may be able to come up with some good ideas.

Keep posting, it's fantastic to hear from a confident and obviously clever young 'un.

(ps I'm only 47, old to you but the others will know why I gave my age away!)

wiflib

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Chloe,
Heres what Andrew and his Diabetic friends do, and contrary to belief you can eat sweets in moderation, preferably after meals, before going out to play or doing other activities. Some of our neighbours know Andrews Diabetic so dispite the costume , usually give him fruit/nuts or 50p. When he returns home with his goody bag we sort through them. Really sugary sweets go into the "hypo" jar (for emergencies) others go into a "treats" jar, and 3 days a year we allow him to run a little high (halloween, birthday and christmas.) You'l find in time and according to your insulin regime when you can have treats. Your Diabetic nurse will help you, and if like us you like chocolate, go for a higher cocoa content as they contain less sugar (Lidl's do fantastic small bars , pack of 5) You'l find before P.E at school you'l need a carbohydrate that helps with the energy you'l burn up, milky ways are good, but always check your blood before and after, in time you'l know what works best for you, Andrew has a couple of biscuits.
Hope this has helped a bit.
Keep asking, and we'll try to answer
take care
Suzi x

diabetic_bbe

The same happened to me i went on monday after school and after doing a urine test, and they told me i was a diabetic and they said to go up to the hospital right away. i was really upset but knew that now i had it that i couldnt do anything about it. when we got there i had to have blood samples taken from me it really hurt :evil: with all the needles and that but it wasnt a lot of blood. i also had to stay in 2 days but was let out early because my dad is a diabetic and obviously knows what to do if anything was to happen. i find it eaier than when i first started taking my injections and finger prinking and i can do it now, im so glad!!!!. at least changing my diet can be a good thing because then i shouldnt get fat or hopefully wont anyway.
i hope you will talk to me.
from,
diabetic_bbe
xx :roll: :p

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi diabetic bbe,
its really nice too hear from someone that had the same experiance as me. its scary isnt it! :? i was a bit upset but then i realised that there could have been far worse things that could have happend. i will keep on posting and i hope that you will too!
from chloe.

JimmyD

Dear Chole

WOW, how well you are doing. :D :D I am a Dad with a 4 and half year old daughter with Type 1 diagnosed Dec 2007. My wife has a needle phobia so I know how things must be. My daughter is unable to do her own testing and injections yet.
How many injections do you do a day?
We started on two a day and this did not work very well and we changed to Muti Daliy Injections in May and since then life has been much better.
Please ask any questions and your parents to, I am happy to answer/help as much as possible.

Best wishes
JimmyD

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi jimmyD,
i think that your daughter is very brave and it must be very hard for all of you. i am having (at the moment) four injections a day ( i m having novarapid just before i have my main meals and lantis just before i got too bed.) i can do my injections and testing myself but i dont find it easy! i dont like doing it in my leg but i have too do it and i am getting used too it. please keep posting.
from chloe.

JimmyD

Hi again,
what other sites for injections do you use?
How are your readings coming along? My daughter has had quite high readings lately but has been better this week. Too much pizza!!!! :| :| We really struggle with pizza and pasta to get the novarapid dose right!!
Have you had to change you diet much? I read in your first post that you didn't think you would need to?
JimmyD

jopar

Hi

Flojo1234 I think you are handling every thing well, and if you keep going the way you've started I don't think that there is going to be much that will phase you...

JimmyD Pizza, yes a nightmare indeed it has a high fat content which seem to slow the asorbtion of carbs right down and spiking later.... It's is I'm afriad trail and error which is hard when if it's your dission and it effects you daughter...

Have you tried delaying the injection until after she has eaten her Pizza so hopefully the insulin is kicking in as the carbs are really starting to have a effect on sugar levels?

Some diabetic either avoid Pizza's as too much hassel or they will split the Jab a small amount before and then the rest 1/2 or so after a suggestion that you might wan to keep in mind for when your daughter is a older as it dose mean another jab to go through...

Aman

Hello,

My name is Aman and my mum is writing this for me. I have had diabetes for 2 years now and am 9 and a half. Mostly it is fine, you get used to it and i can do all my injections myself as well.
I use PE and going to the park as a chance to have my favorite biscuits and sweets.
I get a lot of low sugar / no added sugar and stuff like that. If there is something good for you that you don't like the taste off. Try and keep eating it for nearly 2 weeks and you will get used to the taste.

My parents used to get scared about taking me out but it is just normal now, i've been on holidays to India and America and France.

If you want to ask me anything more you can.

Aman

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi everybody,
gosh i have had a lot of replies havent i! i love pizza but i havent had one since i have been diagnosed with diabetes. please keep in touch and keep posting.
best wishes everyone. chloe.
P.S. my blood sugar levels have been all over the place. the highest it has been was 27!