IS THE FLU JAB WORTH HAVING?

johnoswaldallan

Dislikes
Injustice
Hi All

It’s the time of the year when most GP’s surgeries seem to be promoting the “Flu Jab” Over the years I have become quite cynical and I was wondering if the “Flu Jabs” are in anyway beneficial or is it the pharmaceutical companies who are the main benefactors. It would appear that last year’s flu campaign cost £115 million, a nice little earner for the drug companies. There seems to be a growing number of medics who feel that the flu vaccine does no good. One of them being Dr Thomas Jefferson of the Cochrane Vaccines Field who seems to think, “ that the kind of benefits being ascribed to flu vaccine are simply not justified” I wonder, could he be right?

Regards

John

Linda59

Hi,
I have had the flu jab for the last 10 years, I get the odd sniffle and sore arm for a couple of days otherwise fine, rather have that than the flu.. but other people may say different.. :)

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I've had the flu jab 2 years running. First year I did have a very bad cold but last year I felt fine and had less colds/coughs than normal. I'm definately havingit again this year. Take advantage of it when it's offered. :wink:

Thirsty

*Sigh*

Once again, influenza and the common cold are different diseases, caused by different viruses. Whilst a cold is unpleasant, influenza lays you out and can prove fatal, particularly if you're a diabetic/asthmatic etc.

link.

Get the jab!

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
loathe cheese and yoghurt, spinach, rhubarb and apricots
I know when I have flu as it starts with my gums itching and everything aches. Colds just seem to arrive and go very quickly. Havent had either since diagnosis so dont know yet. I always have a pan of chicken soup ready with plenty of leeks and onions through it. Tastes good too.
I have never had the flu jab and I will bring it up with my nurse when I next visit her.

Tigerhair

I have had it for a few years - being asthmatic - I had flu 3 years running in February time and since I've had the jab, I haven't had it - although my medication for asthma means it's better controlled... I have high BP and diabetes, so I don't need flu if I can avoid it!!!!!!!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't think the penny pinching NHS would offer it free if they didn't find it cost effective.
I've had it every year for the last 5, with no ill effects. My 90-year-old mother has it too, on the grounds of age,not diabetes. She does always have a bit of reaction, but nothing serious.
I once had flu, many years ago and was VERY ill. Remember the post world war 1 Spanish Flu epidemic, is supposed to have killed more people than the war! and they haven't got an effective anti-viral if you do get it.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I had the Asain flu in the late 50's,nearly killed me.I didn't get another bout of flu till the 70's but after that got it every year!I always get the flu jab,haven't had flu since starting the flu jabs.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya all,
ive just had the flu which has had me sooo unwell,unfortunately ive never had flu jab thru my asthma or diabetes as im sensitive to eggs soo not allowed it :(

rottweilsteve

Dislikes
incorrect punctuation (see above), Otherwise dishonesty, discrimination, prejudicial behaviour. and general nastiness.
Last time I had flu was in the winter of... well, it was mumblety years ago. I was unemployed, but had a part time job (a few hours' a week teaching which I declared to the authorities). I remember sitting at the front of the class and vaguely waving an arm to indicate that this was how you did it, long pauses while I hacked up half my lungs, and being unable to walk upright to the bus-stop to get home, instead walking crouched over so that my chest was almost parallel to the ground.

Yes, the flu jab is worth it.

Steve

Lel

I've just had the flu and was rather unpleasant, was a couple of weeks now and im still coughing up my lungs. i had to take a week off work and my bg levels were an experience to say the least.

i get offered the flu jab every year but never take it i always think im to young and the older more vlunerable people should get it before me, but i may cinsider it next time as i do not want to be ill like that again.

johnoswaldallan

Dislikes
Injustice
Hi All

Most of you seem to be in favour of having the flu jab. I did have quite a bad reaction to it a few years ago which has somewhat put me off having it. There seems to be little credible evidence that it does any good at all. Some people have taken it every year for 10 –12 yrs and haven’t contracted influenza but the $64,000 dollar question is if they had not had the jab would the have got influenza. Of course it is impossible to know. Influenza as we all know is quite different to the normal winter colds and the strains are constantly changing and the vaccine is changed accordingly but it is a very hit and miss process. As for the NHS and the cost effectiveness of the flu jab. I cant see how anyone can arrive at any credible statistics, what I do know is that the pharmaceutical companies are very persuasive in promoting their products to the medical profession regardless of their benefits, a good example being statins, they have convinced a large proportion of the medical profession (not all of them) that just about every one over the age of 5 should be taking them. Their data regarding the benefits of statins are to say the least “as bent as a nine bob bit” Perhaps I am being too cynical?

Regards

John

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
*Anecdote warning*

I've had 'flu twice in my life, in my childhood. Never had it since despite working in hospitals all my working life and never having a 'flu jab.

It would take a lot to convince me that they know what strain of virus is going to be rampant this winter and have produced the correct anti-viral!

If I do come down with 'flu, it will have little to do with the fact I chose not to have that jab!

wiflib

johnoswaldallan

Dislikes
Injustice
It would be interesting to find out how many people who have had the flue jab, ended up with a dose of flu anyway.

Regards

John

jacquirs

Dislikes
being ill/not being in control
i had mine on weds and apart from a sore bit on my arm am fine; have been sniffy for a week or two but the jab has not made it worse

guess it affects us all differently :D

rudini

I always turned up my nose at the flu jab, but 2 years ago I got flu. REAL flu, not a heavy cold. I was flat on my back for 2 weeks and still a wreck for another 2 and ended up cracking a rib coughing. So, yeah I am having the jab. If I get flu anyway, I'll post and say so, but I'm not taking the risk now I know I'm diabetic and more vulnerable to complications.