Newcastle diet experts please or any other ideas?

fi@no32

Hi All, I'm new on here but have been following the people who are using meal replacements for the Newcastle diet effect.
I've tried to get the info from my diabetic nurse and she referred me to the nutritionist who nodded and gave me the Heart Foundation leaflet :? I can diet like a fiend but it's all based on what I learnt at Slimming World and as a vegetarian I go on Green days which is unlimited carbs so no good for me now.

I'm getting quite desperate now as 18 months from diagnosis my readings are going up and up so came on here and saw the success other were having with the Newcastle diet. I've tried Slimfast but the +2 hour reading is so high at 16+ that I gave up after 3 days but I'm getting frightened because I'm getting the terrible thirst back and I've got numb patches on my feet.

Is there a lower sugar meal replacement drink or will the levels eventually drop? And how do I find out about my carb allowance for the day as I'm just winging it and have no idea of how much or how I find carb values for food.

I'm quite overweight and I'm on Metformin which seems to have no effect whatsoever. Any advice very gratefully received

MaryJ

Search for Newcastle diet on here , there are lots of threads and info

I'm sure they have named the replacement shakes they used, Atkins does one I think - but don't quote me

Mary x

fi@no32

Thanks, I've read all the threads but can't find the answers to my questions there so if anyone who's done the diet or looked into it can help I'd be grateful.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
If you search for it there is a link to it, but I think if you google Newcastle Diet it should come up. Some folk are using the Atkins shakes which are just under 3 grams of carbs.

fi@no32

Thanks, as I said I've read all the threads and the limited Newcastle diet info, which says have a shake 3 times a day then vegetables, but it doesn't say which shake, or which vegetables and doesn't answer my questions about my blood sugar going up and how long it's safe to go with such high readings. I looked at the atkins shake but wasn't sure it was the right one as there seem to be 2 different ones? Is it the carbs that are important or the sugar content of the carbs?

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Have a look in Defrens posts she is doing the Newcastle Diet.