Milk and Alcohol questions!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
lindainsomerset said:
The milk thing is weird..... so full fat milk has less carbs than skimmed? Didn't know that! Is there a book somewhere that lists carb values for food?

By the way 'swimmer2' love your porridge ideas, thanks.
100ml full fat milk 4.7 gm carbs
100ml semi skimmed 4.8g carbs
100ml skimmed milk 4.9 g carbs.
A difference, yes. Even with insulin supplied by a pump I couldn't account for it.

A

Anonymous

I have seen (somewhere) an even greater difference, but I cant remember where. It generally makes sense if you reduce fat then you have to replace the volume with something else - which is why I tend to avoid 'low-fat' products because the carb content is invariably higher.

lindainsomerset

Indeed there is! :thumbup: The collins gem carb counter book(look on Amazon for a good deal) covers a vast amount of your everyday food items.
[/quote]

Thanks Paul, just ordered it from Amazon. God, its a minefield out there!!!

Spiral

swimmer2 said:
runs to fridge to check what I bought...

Alpro soya - organic - says carbs 0.1g per 100g

any good ?

It is one of the brands I buy. However, you need to look at the list of ingredients on the side.

Grazer

I get the Alpro unsweetened. Virtually no carbs, but don't like it to be honest. Might try this lactofree - where do you get it?

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Grazer said:
I get the Alpro unsweetened. Virtually no carbs, but don't like it to be honest. Might try this lactofree - where do you get it?
I get it from Tesco and Asda,comes in 2 litre cartons and is made by 'Arla' and has an illustration of a cow's face on the carton(It really does tastes like the regular cows milk too! :thumbup: )

MaryJ

I can vouch for swimmers porridge

30g porridge 100mls skimmed milk - i was 15.2
15g porridge 20g ground almonds 100mls skimmed miled - i was 7.3 , re-tested this at least 3 times and always <7.8

I could make it lower with 1/2 water but I'm happy with that BG and a tastier breakie.

Once again thanks swimmer
mary x

Defren

lindainsomerset said:
Thanks Paul, just ordered it from Amazon. God, its a minefield out there!!!

It certainly is a minefield out there, and especially when your just beginning your journey. Paul's suggestion is a cracking little book, I have a copy myself. and it's small enough to fit in a handbag or pocket, and will really help you sort out your carbs. I think it's one of the best carb counters to get you started.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys!

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but I'm interested in the Lactofree milk. I had a look at it in Tescos a few months back, and noted that it had about half the carb of normal milk. However, it said it achieved this by straining some of the lactose out and then by converting what's left into an easier digestable form (I think). I was worried that by 'easier digestable' it would mean that it might get into my blood stream quicker than normal milk, and as that gets there pretty damned quick, I chickened out of trying it. I use Alpro unsweetened soya milk and it's OK, but I don't like it that much, so Paul or Nigel (or anyone else who uses Lactofree), does it affect your BG at all? Do you need to carb count it? Do you use the semi-skimmed or full fat? Is there any carb difference between them? Anything else I should know? Sorry to go on, but a good milk-alternative would be amazing for me!

Smidge

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
smidge said:
so Paul or Nigel (or anyone else who uses Lactofree), does it affect your BG at all? Do you need to carb count it? Do you use the semi-skimmed or full fat? Is there any carb difference between them? Anything else I should know? Sorry to go on, but a good milk-alternative would be amazing for me!

I really couldn't say what it does bg wise Smidge as I don't use it myself, my lad was using lactofree and someone on the forum asked what it tasted like so I sampled a small amount, I thought was rather nice and couldn't really tell the difference between that and my usual semi-skimmed milk.

Paul1976

Dislikes
Hi Smidge! I use it in tea and coffee and it raises my BG by about 0.5mmol which is a slight increase but regular semi-skimmed used to raise me by about 2mmol when used in tea or coffee so a worthwhile difference to me,I personally don't carb count it as it's such a small amount I use and I only have 1 or 2 max cups of tea or coffee per day.I'm using the blue carton full fat version currently but couldn't off the top of my head tell you the carb difference between that and the semi skimmed version without checking but I imagine it's very minimal tbh.

Paul :wink:

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, Nigel. Thanks, Paul. All liquid sugars hit my BG very hard and very quick, so even a small amount of milk in tea will raise me by about 2mmol - it's a nightmare. I thought I was the only one, Paul! I think I'll give it a try.

Smidge

Paul1976

Dislikes
smidge said:
Thanks, Nigel. Thanks, Paul. All liquid sugars hit my BG very hard and very quick, so even a small amount of milk in tea will raise me by about 2mmol - it's a nightmare. I thought I was the only one, Paul! I think I'll give it a try.

Smidge
It's definitely worth a try and I hope that you too,can see a reduction in your levels like I have. :wink: As tesco's say.."Every little helps"

All the Best

Paul