The non-insulin dependent 4% club

WhitbyJet

Re: The 4% Club

Borofergie - CONGRATULATIONS to you as well, WOW we have two super heroes in our forum :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

lindainsomerset

Well done Wiflib,
Truly inspirational. I am on my first day of low carbing. Did a +2hr test after lunch and was amazed at how quickly it has come down (6.7 compared to 10.2 same time yesterday!) That is my lowest ever reading since last November, I was very excited!! Just need a bit of help with food ideas though. I am currently on 3 x metformin, and my BMI is 25.1 (a bit of weight to lose). I hope I can sustain the low carbing as well as you have!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Congratulations WiFlib!

Really well done! :clap:

Smidge

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Well done Borofergie as well! I was really hoping your lipid profile came back good - and it's come back as excellent!

Smidge

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars

Love your work Libby! Borrofergie .... Magic!!
What results. My cholesterol results have be nothing short of wonderful and I too do the homemade pork scratchings.
Alison

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Well done to both of you - you are both truly inspirational! :clap: :clap: :clap: And one each on behalf of the late Dr Atkins too! :clap: :clap:

I doubt I'll make the 4% Club this time around (bloods taken on Thursday 14th, results will be about a week) but I might have a real go for it for September.

Viv 8)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia

viviennem said:
Well done to both of you - you are both truly inspirational! :clap: :clap: :clap: And one each on behalf of the late Dr Atkins too! :clap: :clap:

I doubt I'll make the 4% Club this time around (bloods taken on Thursday 14th, results will be about a week) but I might have a real go for it for September.

Viv 8)

It's like being a Olympian Viv - you only have to dip your toe in once and you're a member for life.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

borofergie said:
viviennem said:

Viv 8)

It's like being a Olympian Viv - you only have to dip your toe in once and you're a member for life.

Olympian? Athlete? :shock:

Not the right analogy to use for me, Steve - unless I can have a horse (to ride, not to eat! :shock: ).

:lol: :lol:

Viv 8)

Defren

viviennem said:

Viv 8)

I have my bloods done June 27, I doubt I will make the 4% club this time either, but will try for next time with you, we can support each other, and join Libby and Stephen. :D

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Defren said:
viviennem said:

Viv 8)

I have my bloods done June 27, I doubt I will make the 4% club this time either, but will try for next time with you, we can support each other, and join Libby and Stephen. :D

:thumbup: :D

Viv 8)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

viviennem said:
Defren said:
viviennem said:

Don't join up with Defren, she's trying her best to join the 3% club.

Defren

borofergie said:
viviennem said:
Defren said:

Don't join up with Defren, she's trying her best to join the 3% club.[/quote]

Shurrup :lol: If like Libby my BG's were in the 3's and 4's it likely would be the only time I really was happy, but a HbA1c in the 3's is possibly even a bit extreme for me :lolno:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Defren said:
Shurrup :lol: If like Libby my BG's were in the 3's and 4's it likely would be the only time I really was happy, but a HbA1c in the 3's is possibly even a bit extreme for me :lolno:

To join the 3% club your average BG would need to be around 2mmol/l :thumbup:

Defren

borofergie said:
Defren said:

To join the 3% club your average BG would need to be around 2mmol/l :thumbup:

Like I said, too extreme even for me :lol: The 4% club will do me, infact that is my next goal.

cuillie

Dislikes
Too numerous to mention

lindainsomerset said:
Well done Wiflib,
Truly inspirational. I am on my first day of low carbing. Did a +2hr test after lunch and was amazed at how quickly it has come down (6.7 compared to 10.2 same time yesterday!) That is my lowest ever reading since last November, I was very excited!! Just need a bit of help with food ideas though. I am currently on 3 x metformin, and my BMI is 25.1 (a bit of weight to lose). I hope I can sustain the low carbing as well as you have!

Hi there, like you I'm new to this sort of diet and a week into it, it seems as if it should be easy, butI find adjusting my insulin a bit tricky. However there is great advice on this site, so stick with it and good luck, kate

Spiral

Wow! You are both inspirational, what amazing stories.

:mrgreen: :clap: :mrgreen: :clap: :mrgreen: :clap: :mrgreen: :clap: :mrgreen: :clap: :mrgreen:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've tried to compose this and reply to everyone but confusion reigns.

I want to say a big thank you to everyone here. As I get older, my 'British' habit of being reserved and keeping good new to myself has almost gone. What I have achieved, for me, is truly spectacular and I decided I have every right to crow about it AS DOES EVERYBODY ELSE NO MATTER HOW SMALL THE CHANGE AND IMPROVEMENT.
I'm so laid back I'm horizontal but when it comes to this, I'm an obsessed fanatic. I will confess that one of the biggest reasons for doing what I do is the lovely side effect of being thinner. Being thinner and older has bought out the real Libby and as I hit my 50th birthday, life started all over again and I'm relishing it!

For those of you starting, be patient. It took me three and a half years to really get completely strict with myself. It takes time and there is no quick fix. As I have said over and over again on this forum, I'm a carb addict. When it comes to the food I eat now, I can't eat much but if you were to put family sized portions of chocolate and crisps in front of me, trust me, I could eat the lot and come back for more. But now it's incredibly easy to decide not to do that and I don't. Instead of getting excited about crisps, I get excited about the thought of a handful of brazils or my home made cinnamon pecans.

For those of you that have attained the fantastic control that I have, stay with me, and each other because to slip back to old ways will be incredibly easy. Staying on the narrow path we have chosen gets easier and easier but we will always need help to stay on it. Dorothy had Toto and the Tin Man, but I always had a soft spot for the Cowardly Lion. :D

My next battle will be at my review, coming up very shortly. The only reason I'm going is that I need to verbally smack the nurse who thinks she knows better than me about MY diabetes. I've also avoided taking a urine sample with me because I'm pretty sure, a nanosecond after she has dipped it, there will be an ambulance waiting to whisk me off to hospital. I'm looking forward to educating her about the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis.

So guys and gals, keep on slogging away. If there is one thing I absolutely know about diabetic control, it's this; eat as few carbs as you possibly can.

That is all.

Libby.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mods, could you delete the repeat post please.

Now then, where are all the others with HbA1c's in the fours. Stephen and I are here and I know there are others. Come and post and crow.

wiflib