Holiday food cheating

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, so I am on holiday, and the thought of not eating anything goody wise is a little depressing (more so than my birthday last week) as you know. So my conclusion is for a couple of lunches through out the week I am going to eat what I like.

So here goes, for lunch today I had a cheeseburger with chips and salad (just happened to come with a salad. With ketchup and mayo. Followed by a Mr Whippy ice cream and flake. It was amazing, I have not had bread, chips or ice cream for over 4 weeks.....

Now the not so good bit, but expected. But hey i am away for a week, so 2 or 3 slight cheats on bad meals I think is ok as the rest of the time it's back to very low carbs.

Before lunch I was 6.6
1 hour after I was 11.5
2 hours after I was 13.8
3 hours after I was 10.7

So now going back down, so before dinner should be nearly back to "my" normal levels.

A little conclusion, if you are going to eat something you should not i think it should be lunchtime, this gives your body time to get the levels to come down. If it was dinner time then going to bed, the DP would not help and you would hae even more increased levels in the morning maybe.

Scot
Now off to find an establishment for a nice super low carb steak or fish. Which should no g a problem at the seaside :D

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I'm a super-low-carb-fanatic-nutter, but when I was on Honeymoon last year, I kind of tried to avoid the carbs most of the time, but I didn't bother testing my blood or avoiding every single chip or piece of bread.

Don't go over the top, but enjoy yourself and worry about the diabetes when you get home.

You could always adopt the Grazer approach and seeing how much alcohol you can drink to cover up any transgressions.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Absolutely! I believe the 'Curaoco' diet worked well for Grazer I believe when he went on his hols! :D

MaryJ

For me I think I'd rather not test.

I'd rather be intentionally good and live with the odd treat, knowing it will have sent my BG's up.

We know what's good and what's bad - if you choose the 'bad' stuff, fine but it may ruin your holiday to be analysing the results, when you probably know the results before they come up.

Enjoy you jollidays Scott

Mary x

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Scot

You and me both! I am in America and Canada for three weeks and am sooooo fed up with trying to be good. Now I appreciate it needn't be the same if you are eating at home here in the states but trying to find healthy food in the diners, pubs and restaurants is a nightmare. Its kind of a choice between high sugars and a heart attack! :shock: Carbs are everywhere, even when you dont order them. Salad seems to come with each meal and I am managing to push the carbs to one side for the most part but it isnt easy. I am smelling those burgers and fries and poutine! My god the poutine! "would you like your fries topped with pulled pork, bacon and cheese?! lol Oh ok so I had that as a treat but it didnt wash with my husband that I needed all the fat to drown out the carbs. :lol: Mary J you are right. I have stopped testing apart from bedtime - I was panicking too much.

The B&B we are at for this week are trying so hard. But giving me just one waffle covered with strawberries and maple syrup instead of four is their idea of giving me a low carb breakfast - so I am still leaving it and going without. I have explained it all to them but they arent getting it and they are sooo kind I dont have the heart to keep on at them. I have been losing weight and am disheartened as I know I am probably putting it on. I ordered prime rib, and half a cow came out so although it was low carb it wasnt good for the diet. My husband and I are now sharing meals, and he is eating all the stuff I am embarrassed to leave so he is also putting on weight. lol Oh dear, I am really sounding a whinge bag - sorry, just frustrated. But like you Scot am trying to be good, with a few treats and planning on getting back on track when I get home asap. Its a holiday after all, but want to do my best. My GP said "your doing really well, go on holiday and enjoy yourself and forget about your diabetes for a couple of weeks. Dont fill your face with **** but enjoy!" So, I am trying to be sensible and enjoying the bits I do have and keeping them to a minimum.

Dont know about you but when i get home I am not leaving the house to eat for quite a while :lol:

xx

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am gonna have another treat day on Wednesday, but this time ignore testing that day (did not bother my about level today testing was just curious how much after burger and chips and ice cream. It was lower than I actually thought I was raise. Though the big homemade sweetie shop did do sugar free sweets :0)

Clairy, yeah, I have put aside a few days, where I will just eat nice food and not worry and when I get back home will be good again.

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Scot, I too had an ice cream - found a Dairy Huis that did no added sugar ice cream, Black Raspberry!!!! just fruit and cream made into ice cream - hubbie had to drag me out of there!! It was delicious. Didnt affect my sugars! He has gone off for the morning for a photography mountain tour and the B&B lady is going to take me to Dairy Huis before he returns :thumbup: soooo soooo naughty! :lol:

Grazer

Paul1976 said:
Absolutely! I believe the 'Curaoco' diet worked well for Grazer I believe when he went on his hols! :D

Quite right! I "cover" with alcohol the way a T1 covers with insulin when I'm on hols! And yes, before you all reply and say I'm gonna die and go straight to hell, I know! I know!

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
Ime off for my first break from caring for mum since September with a weeks holiday in Looe at the end of this month. I am going to try and be good but will certainly have a crack at some fish and chips and the odd pastie but will try and stick to protein and salads for my evening meal plus copious pints of course.
May take the testing kit, havnt decided yet. Cant wait.

Andy

millie_uk

I had a week in Cornwall last week, stayed in Seaton and visited Looe for a couple of meals. I didn't have a Cornish Pastie all week and only one scoop of ice cream in a small tub. We went out for fish and chips. I asked for my fish grilled, no batter and only ate 8 chips with it. I enjoyed an Indian one night, tikka starter followed by tandoori chicken and salad with a spoonful of rice.
I did enjoy a lovely sirloin steak from a BBQ too.
I have only been one month diagnosed and was trying to be careful and testing but found my levels crept up as the week went on and didn't manage to keep into single figures. I was entirely into single figures by week 2 but the past week it's remaining around the 9-11. I think I did eat too much on holiday even though I had no sweets, baking, pastry etc, had a fair amount of red wine and evening snacks of cold meat, cheese and salad vegetables.
We all need a holiday though and I enjoyed it. :)

BeccaJaneStClair

clairy clutterbuck said:
I am in America and Canada for three weeks and am sooooo fed up with trying to be good. Now I appreciate it needn't be the same if you are eating at home here in the states but trying to find healthy food in the diners, pubs and restaurants is a nightmare. Its kind of a choice between high sugars and a heart attack! :shock: Carbs are everywhere, even when you dont order them. Salad seems to come with each meal and I am managing to push the carbs to one side for the most part but it isnt easy. I am smelling those burgers and fries and poutine! My god the poutine! "would you like your fries topped with pulled pork, bacon and cheese?! lol Oh ok so I had that as a treat but it didnt wash with my husband that I needed all the fat to drown out the carbs. :lol: Mary J you are right. I have stopped testing apart from bedtime - I was panicking too much.

I lived in America for 28ish years before moving to the UK....low carb can be found ,and in fact, In America they tend to embrace the Atkins diet. When I was south beach, I ate a lot of wraps and loads of salad...one thing I miss is the overabundance of salad options available at restaurants! You should be able to customize your meal according to what you can eat so you shouldn't have to worry about leaving things behind on your plate. I never ate chips/fries when I ate out, always subbing in a salad instead. A lot of steak houses operate an "all you can eat" salad bar that has more than just lettuce & tomato on it and often you can order just salad bar as a meal. All-you-can-eat places, while the concept sounds awful, really are good options for restricted diets as you have more options available for your plate.

Good luck!

We're off to Wales in two weeks for camping in a caravan....I'm planning on sticking to my diet as much as I can because I find I now get sick if I deviate from it!

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
Just got back from Forida and did not take my test kit. No point as I didn't want to stress out, and just as well because apart from the breakfasts, which are great, even if daily bacon eggs etc are not the best long term option, I found chips, or bread came with everything. No willpower when faced with so many yummy carbs I gave in. The fish was great, but finding prawns minus breadcrunbs was a chore. Most meals came with a tub of coleslaw, but salad had to be ordered seperately, and seemed to be either boring, leaves + tomato, or covered in dressing. YUK! :sick: Still had a great time, and discovered sugar free icecream can taste good. Vanilla and choc chip, yum. Gave the gator steaks a miss.
Back to reality now, and trying to get numbers down before Hba1c in July. Wanna stay diet only if poss.

BeccaJaneStClair

jumbleannie1VDJQ said:
I found chips, or bread came with everything. No willpower when faced with so many yummy carbs I gave in.

No offence meant, but that's a bit of a pot calling the kettle black situation when nearly every meal out I've had since moving to the UK unless it was at an Italian or other high end restaurant came with chips!

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
millie_uk said:
I had a week in Cornwall last week, stayed in Seaton and visited Looe for a couple of meals. I didn't have a Cornish Pastie all week and only one scoop of ice cream in a small tub. We went out for fish and chips. I asked for my fish grilled, no batter and only ate 8 chips with it. I enjoyed an Indian one night, tikka starter followed by tandoori chicken and salad with a spoonful of rice.
I did enjoy a lovely sirloin steak from a BBQ too.
I have only been one month diagnosed and was trying to be careful and testing but found my levels crept up as the week went on and didn't manage to keep into single figures. I was entirely into single figures by week 2 but the past week it's remaining around the 9-11. I think I did eat too much on holiday even though I had no sweets, baking, pastry etc, had a fair amount of red wine and evening snacks of cold meat, cheese and salad vegetables.
We all need a holiday though and I enjoyed it. :)

It took me about 3 weeks to get my numbers down to around 6.5-7.0 I was religious in very low carbing and lost a stone in that time too. Even did not have anything for my birthday. But talking I here and being on holiday, I have relaxed just for a few days and eating stuff I have ignored for the last month (only for a few days)

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
No offence taken BeccaJane, I know what it is like eating out in the UK, which is why I don't. Problem is when on hols you have no choice, unless your self catering, and in a strange place, and on holiday you don't always have the time or inclination to track down the best places to eat. Didn't mean to run down US, have met this problem world over. Problem is I love to travel, and my hols mean a lot to me, so wherever I am going I find it better not to think about my diet too much. Oh and I did say the icecream was fab there. :thumbup: