What is the hardest part of coping with diabetes?

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Leaving that part of my life that I was comfortable with. Trying to get my diet sorted, pushing myself every night to exercise when I have just been out at work for 12 hours, watching the Kids tucking into a bag of sweets, and saying no thanks when they offer me one, feeling lost and all at sea sometimes and no one really knows what's going on in my head because really your thinking this **** thing may well be my Epitaph.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Benedict!

Great question. I adapted to diabetes very well and accepted it straight away. I knew I was Type 1 when they diagosed me as Type 2 - it was obvious I wasn't Type 2. So, for me, the hardest thing has been the ignorance and poor care and advice from the medical profession - it drives me mad :evil: It took a lot of energy and stress and the best part of a year of ill health to get an accurate diagnosis.

It has upset me to see my parents question and worry if it was their fault - it isn't! I cried a lot when I diagnosed myself (with the help of people on this Forum) and knew I needed to go on insulin - it was the best thing I ever did, but I remember the Sunday that I found the explanation of LADA and realised that is what I had - I sat on the sofa and cried more than I can say. On the Monday, I picked myself up and went into battle with the medical profession to make them diagnose and treat me properly - I won!

I'm scared sometimes when I think of the future, but I try to concentrate on today.

I know I'm lucky because the insulin we have now is so much better than a few years ago - it gives us flexibility and choices. I know I'm lucky that we have the internet - what chance would you really stand without it? I know I'm lucky that I was diagnosed as an adult and didn't have to face my teenage and university years with diabetes - I am so sorry for and respectful of those who do.

There is so much that is difficult to cope with in diabetes, but so much to be grateful for. It is not the end of the world. It is not the worst thing that can happen to you.

Smidge

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss sweets I have a really sweet tooth... But since diagnoses I have pretty much been under control. A few days of not so good like holidays having the occasional naughty day.

My biggest worry is passing it onto my children, as my mum and dad had it, my brothers got it, I don't know how I would feel if my kids get it, it would destroy me I think....

Spiral

noblehead said:
Spiral said:
I know diabetes is a very serious illness - my dad died from long term complications after several years of poor quality life. But my diagnosis has enabled me to improve my health no end.

Sorry about your dad Spiral. You make a good point though about diabetes making us improve our health, I often wonder if I would be in a much worse place if I wasn't so health conscious and watched my diet and exercised regular, the good thing about having to keep to regular clinic appointments is that other problems can be spotted sooner rather than later.

I got very depressed just afer diagnosis - nothing I did seemed to make much difference to my glucose numbers until I cut the carbs. I lost a bit of weight just by cutting out junk, but when I quit carbs, that was when my health really started to improve and I had quite a dramatic weight loss. And eating something I shouldn't has a fairly immediate impact on me with sluggishness and headaches, followed by an outbreak of rosacea.

I get seriously p*ss*d off with the food police telling me what I can and can't eat. I'm a grown up and can make bad decisiosn for myself if I choose to.

My attitude to living with this long term condition is a positive one. I can't go through life believing that this is a progressive condition and that I will gradually get worse. I believe the complications are caused by your organs and blood vessels being damaged by being preseved in sugar when you rnumbers are out of control. If I can keep my glucose numbers broadly within the normal range I have the same chance as a non diabetic of developing complications usually associated with diabetes as I get older. My evidence being how my health has been transformed since I started testing and adjusting my diet accordingly. I dodn't actually care if it is true or not, it motivates me to stay on top of things and I can't live with that sense of hopelessness I had at the begining, just after diagnosis.

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
The tiredness , its 9 weeks since finding out and 4 weeks since starting the metformin. The tiredness is really getting me down (I feel like a huge burden to my hubby and boys)but hopefully when I see my GP later this week we can get it sorted.
I went part time towards the end of last year ( self employed) because I didnt feel well/tired and so need to get back to working more hours.
Not being able to eat what I used to love is really hard especially with my family who have not changed what they eat - and why should they?

What I have just wrote for me seems quite trivial compared to a lot and my heart goes out to the children. My friends son copes with diabetes(type 1) so well that he puts me to shame :oops:

BeccaJaneStClair

For me, the hardest part has been letting all the information sink in...it seems as though everywhere I turn, there's something I didn't know before, or something I wasn't told....and then all the things that need to be done and I feel like the diabetic nurse and my GP just get so tired of repeating themselves to everyone that they start slacking off and just assume you know what they mean -- like when I was told I had diabetes, no one actually told me what it was. I had to ask what it all meant.

Not having access to a blood monitor is hard, too. I feel like I get asked questions I can't answer - even by the NHS dietitian and nurse - because I don't have a meter and frankly, can't afford the testing strips when it's suggested that you should test yourself 6 or more times in a day!

The conflicting information is so frustrating - even between people like the GP, diabetic nurse, and NHS nutritionist....not counting DAUK and even the American association.

I'm fortunate that my husband is understanding and is willing to support me, but I can imagine this could be very hard for people who don't have that line of support!

MaryJ

I'm with Viv really about seeing this as a positive thing.

I've taken to low-carbing well, don't have a sweet tooth and the weight has dropped off me, like it never has before - despite attempts all my adult life.

My main issue is not really for me ( as I found this website) I just can't get my head round how the HCP's (in the main) seem to be reluctant to accept that low-carbing - (or eat to your meter to be more accurate) HAS to be the way forward. It just seems basic logic.

mary x

Type1Jim

Hi,
The hardest part of having diabetes for me is that you can never forget about it. You are constantly reminded of it by changing blood sugars from eating, drinking, exercise, stress etc. I'm a positive person, but sometimes I would just like a day when I don't have to think about my blood glucose levels etc. Diabetes can be SO frustrating!

daisy3174

Hardest part is wanting the lovely energy back that I had a year ago and knowing that family really dont and dont want to understand any of it (thank God for this forum, its like an extended family).I have to say, my heart does go out to parents who have a child with diabetes,it must be so difficult and so worrying x
I narrowed it down (probably wrongly) to tendonitis and guess what? One website says that diabetics are prone to it!!
That is interesting, suffered for a while with tendonitis in two wrists myself, its very painful isnt it.

Doris06

I am Newly diagnosed with type 2 and just feel overwelmed, had a panic attack in work yesterday which is not like me at all! Feel so out of control, my nurse and gp are lovely and really helpful but they don't have it so I don't feel they can really understand. Family supportive to but I just feel angry and embarrassed because feel due to my weight I have brought this on myself, any tips to help me overcome these feelings thx

shop

ShyGirl said:
The hardest part for me is a lack of food choices , lack of support , med intolerances ,complications and the amount of appointments i've needed over the last 18 months.

Now i'm single and friendless I find myself facing the toughest test yet and wishing there was more emotional support available.
If you've other issues ( mental or physical) then diabetes doesn't usually lead to to improved health or climbing Mount Everest so I feel out of place reading balance and sites like this.

When first diagnosed I was half conscious post intensive care and a woman lectured me about future pregnancy plans and my clinic nurse visited me and basically told me off because my life was about to change whether I was ready or not.
Both were insensitive , unhelpful and confusing.
My clinic is like some kafkaesque nightmare and I know I receive substandard care but sadly can't change.

Hi Shygirl,

Just wanted to say that you say you are single and friendless. If you stick with this forum you wont be friendless. No disrespect for family and friends ( non diabetics )but its only since coming on here that I have found the support both theoreticaly and emotionaly because we do all understand. I think the common areas like frustration, feeling down when sugars arn't doing what we want and denial, anger etc..............We have all felt these emotions at some point. So please embrace this opportunity to make friends who will really understand you on this level. You wont feel so frustrated with the non diabetic community not understanding so much beacuse you will have found it here!

Hope this helps,

Lucy. :)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Doris06 said:
I am Newly diagnosed with type 2 and just feel overwelmed, had a panic attack in work yesterday which is not like me at all! Feel so out of control, my nurse and gp are lovely and really helpful but they don't have it so I don't feel they can really understand. Family supportive to but I just feel angry and embarrassed because feel due to my weight I have brought this on myself, any tips to help me overcome these feelings thx

Hello Doris

Getting your life back under control is the best way of sorting everything out. It worked for me and I managed it in just a couple of months. Take a look at the advice here which was given to Roy, I'm sure he won't mind sharing! http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=30038 When you've read that just start asking questions as that's what everyone did when they were first diagnosed. Take care - Steve

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Doris06 said:
Thanks Steve, just read it now, going to try the low carb thing thanks again

Good choice :thumbup: Why not post a "Hello" message in the newly diagnosed section as that helps as it gives you a place to ask anything you want and others will spot it easier than here and come in and help. The key to all of this is not feeling alone and asking questions so don't be shy :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Doris06 posted:

Family supportive to but I just feel angry and embarrassed because feel due to my weight I have brought this on myself, any tips to help me overcome these feelings thx

I felt exactly like that when first diagnosed in April 2010 - in fact I wouldn't let them register me until the following October. I was in denial, and I was so angry at myself, I felt such a failure because I had let this thing happen to me!

Fortunately I was already familiar with Atkins, and I knew it would help with my BGs, so the diagnosis was the kick in the bum I needed to get me back on to my diet - initially to control my BGs, but I've gone from 298lb (21 stone 4lb) to 238lb (17 stone) since diagnosis, and my BGs are spot on at the moment. Now I need to concentrate on more weight loss, which means giving up the red wine :( .

The most important thing for my self-respect was to learn, from this forum, that not all obese people are Type 2, and not all Type 2s are obese - around 20% of Type 2s are skinny. In fact, in some of us it may not be the obesity that causes the diabetes, the diabetes may cause the obesity :shock: .

If you have insulin resistance, it means that the insulin you do produce can't get the glucose into the muscle cells for energy, because they 'resist' taking it in. The insulin has to do something with all that glucose, so it stuffs it into the fat cells, which are only too happy to have it and increase in size. Then you get told to lose weight so you cut down the fat and eat more carbohydrate! The insulin can't cope with all the glucose from your high-carb diet, so it stuffs it into the fat cells - a vicious circle!

So diabetes may not have been "all my fault", and it may not be all your fault either, Doris :D . Control your carb intake to a level that suits you, eat to your meter, and not only will you take control of your BGs, you'll lose weight and decrease your insulin resistance too.

Ask any questions you like - we're here to help!

Viv 8)

The best part of coping with diabetes is this forum :clap: :thumbup:

daisy3174

Well said there Viv, blame can do nothing at all to change a situation, but finding a solution can.I am a skinny Type 2 (Lada?,Mody?,Type Weird?) and I think you are right about the insulin resistance,I have actually put weight on in the last few months much to my despair and have a permanent fight to keep it off x

desidiabulum

This will sound really trite, but for me the hardest part is eating out. My job involves constant having to eat out, constant bad buffet lunches, and the endless scanning of menus and especially buffet spreads to find ANYTHING I can eat, or that I can trust. That can get really frustrating, especially when you are forced into eating stuff you know is going to have a bad impact on sugar levels. One of the worst lunch spreads i ever saw was at a Diabetes Awareness Day :lol: -- oh if only this weren't true...

kellyrae

Ive had diabetes since being 7 years old (25 years) so as a child i found it hard dealing with not eating sweets and general eating freedom that my friends had......that was mine when i was young, now it has to be looking after my daughter everyday and trying to stick to regular testing and management....and of course not having a hypo whilst taking care of her....kinda frightens me sometimes incase something happens :?