Trying to low carb

lindainsomerset

Hi, I've got another question as am on my 2nd day trying to low-carb. It goes against the grain allowing myself to have lots of fats as aren't we more prone to heart problems? I allowed myself double cream tonight, but feeling guilty. Have I got it all wrong?

This is my diet today:-
Breakfast : 2 slices Burgen bread with Flora Pro-Activ
large mug black coffee

Snack: 1 apple, handful mixed seeds

Lunch: John West Tuna salad (French dressing) with extra lettuce

Snack: 2 slices Danish salami

Supper: 3 egg mushroom omelette
Vanilla Activia Yoghurt 0% fat

Snack: mixed berries, artificial sweetener and double cream

Water during day.

Defren

lindainsomerset said:
Hi, I've got another question as am on my 2nd day trying to low-carb. It goes against the grain allowing myself to have lots of fats as aren't we more prone to heart problems? I allowed myself double cream tonight, but feeling guilty. Have I got it all wrong?

This is my diet today:-
Breakfast : 2 slices Burgen bread with Flora Pro-Activ
large mug black coffee

Snack: 1 apple, handful mixed seeds

Lunch: John West Tuna salad (French dressing) with extra lettuce

Snack: 2 slices Danish salami

Supper: 3 egg mushroom omelette
Vanilla Activia Yoghurt 0% fat

Snack: mixed berries, artificial sweetener and double cream

Water during day.

I personally couldn't tolerate 2 slices of Burgen bread at once, but that doesn't make it wrong, just test. Apart from I would change the Flora to real dairy butter, it all looks good to me. Watch for hidden carbs in dressings.

Very well done, that's a really, really great start. :thumbup:

lindainsomerset

Thanks Defren, but what about the fats?? Why are we advised to have higher fats when on low carbs? Won't it increase cholesterol? I don't know the science of it!

Defren

lindainsomerset said:
Thanks Defren, but what about the fats?? Why are we advised to have higher fats when on low carbs? Won't it increase cholesterol? I don't know the science of it!

You can have as many good fats as you can eat, they will be the fuel for your body rather than carbs. Good fats are cream, butter, lard, virgin olive oil. Also don't trim the fat on meat, and don't buy low calorie, reduced sugar ****, go for full fat everything, much better for you. It's hard to change after years of indoctrination telling us we shouldn't eat fat, but with a low carb diet, you can eat loads of healthy fat and watch the bad cholesterol fall, while the good cholesterol rises.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That all looks OK to me as well and agree with Defren about changing over to butter, I wouldn't be able to have the Burgen bread either :( but if you can get away with it I envy you. If you use a meter it will tell you if the food you are eating is right for you. :thumbup:

As far as the fat is concerned I am in the same boat as you. I have read every thread, post and link about eating a lot of fat and although I understand intellectually that it will be OK it still took until yesterday to take that leap of faith and start eating more of the lovely tasty stuff. Reading the 4% thread, where the high fat guys are getting such good Cholesterol results, finally convinced me that I had to give it a shot. I have already lost 4st in 4 months by low carbing but I still have an awful lot more to loose so I will see how the higher fat regime works out and as long as I continue to loose weight I will carry on.

Defren

catza said:
That all looks OK to me as well and agree with Defren about changing over to butter, I wouldn't be able to have the Burgen bread either :( but if you can get away with it I envy you. If you use a meter it will tell you if the food you are eating is right for you. :thumbup:

As far as the fat is concerned I am in the same boat as you. I have read every thread, post and link about eating a lot of fat and although I understand intellectually that it will be OK it still took until yesterday to take that leap of faith and start eating more of the lovely tasty stuff. Reading the 4% thread, where the high fat guys are getting such good Cholesterol results, finally convinced me that I had to give it a shot. I have already lost 4st in 4 months by low carbing but I still have an awful lot more to loose so I will see how the higher fat regime works out and as long as I continue to loose weight I will carry on.

Look at the graphs on this thread, and the amount of fat people eat. It's all good fats, but it's still fat. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30311

Catza you are doing much better now, and are eating more fat. It is hard, after being told not to eat fat, well done you for not listening once you knew the truth.

lindainsomerset

Thanks all.

Well here goes, full fats all the way!!! I do get raised BG after 2 slices Burgen, but couldn't face omelette etc before work. Will go for mixed berries and double cream tomorrow for brekkie (seems RADICAL!) :!:

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Or try sugar free jelly and double cream....real radical :lol:

Angie

Defren

lindainsomerset said:
Thanks all.

Well here goes, full fats all the way!!! I do get raised BG after 2 slices Burgen, but couldn't face omelette etc before work. Will go for mixed berries and double cream tomorrow for brekkie (seems RADICAL!) :!:

It is a very radical diet opposed to what we are told to eat, very decadent and naughty. You come back in a day or two and tell me low carb high fat doesn't work, 'cos I know you wont.

Enjoy!! :thumbup:

YES!! The little sugar free jellies and cream make a really yummy snack.

How do you deal with hypos if you dont have carbs I tried low carb it lasted for about three hours before I had to eat a lump of white bread or pass out

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
highlanderpony said:
How do you deal with hypos if you dont have carbs I tried low carb it lasted for about three hours before I had to eat a lump of white bread or pass out

That's because you are addicted to the sugar swings that you get from eating carbs. It's eating the carbs in the first place that's making you feel as if you are hypoing. If you're only on metformin, then a hypo is very, very, unlikely.

Grazer

Aree with Borofergie, but of course if your oral meds include potentially hypo-inducing drugs then you may need to discuss reducing them with your doctor if you go low carb.

No I am on glicazide 80 mg
2x 500 metformin and
poiglitazone 30mg
Glicozide reduced from 240 mg to 80mgs in an attempt to reduce the hypo incidents but they are still happening bg drops to 1,9 at 4pm and 11 pm
eating at 50% carbs 30% protein 20% fats. was trying to low carb at a much lower level of carbs in order to lose weight but kept hypoing and wasnt sure how to prevent this I am still hypoing at this level so assume I now need another reduction in medication I have lost 27lbs

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Don't worry, Linda, most of us have been brainwashed against fats by the "healthy high-carb low-fat" diet brigade.

I remember the first time I did Atkins, back in 2004, before I became diabetic. I thought it might kill me, but I just knew that if I didn't do something I was going to die pretty quick anyway :shock: .

That first forkful of pork chop with all the fat on took some effort getting past my teeth. But I did it, and it was gorgeous! Pretty soon I was losing weight (15lb in the first 2 weeks :p ), and feeling so good that I knew it was right for me.

Sadly I fell off the diet and put all the weight back on (that's what carbs do for you :wink:) , but after being diagnosed Type 2 in April 2010 I knew just what to do, back on Atkins, the weight started coming off again and I knew I was back home. This time it's for life.

My only comment about your diet is that you could maybe increase your vegetables a bit, from low-carb ones. That's where your vitamins and minerals are coming from. Have a look at Viv's Modified Atkins Diet, a Sticky Thread, for some ideas of what to eat.

Keep at it! :thumbup:

Viv 8)

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
After reading many other thread on here and after testing, I have decided to go low carb. I have done the Atkins diet many years ago so know it should be a good way to lose weight too. I have found my old Atkins book, and ordered the New Diabetes revolution along with the Collins Gem Carb counter that alot of people seem to use. So next week when I go food shopping, I should be all set and ready to go!

MaryJ

Lenny3 said:
After reading many other thread on here and after testing, I have decided to go low carb. I have done the Atkins diet many years ago so know it should be a good way to lose weight too. I have found my old Atkins book, and ordered the New Diabetes revolution along with the Collins Gem Carb counter that alot of people seem to use. So next week when I go food shopping, I should be all set and ready to go!

Good for you Lenny

Let us know how you get on

Mary x

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well on day 3 of Atkins now and already my BG numbers are so much better and within the guidelines. So all good.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Linda,

Well done for taking the plunge - it is scary to do something so against the grain, :| , in terms of dietary advice.

But I can assure you that there are few people more cowardly than me and I have not seen anything, whether a published study or anecdotally from the users of this forum that suggests that this way of eating is harmful in the slightest. If I had I wouldn't be doing it believe me!

Cholesterol and fat is a bit of a red herring in my opinion; there are pages and pages and pages on this on the forum, the simple point is that most cholesterol in your blood is made in your liver and does not come from what you eat. I have slightly elevated LDL levels but my long term risk score for heart disease is 1% (Framingham Risk Score) - which my GP previously said was the lowest he could remember seeing.

One thing on your diet; get rid of margarine and come back to butter; you'll be so pleased you did. Also the Vanilla Activia Yoghurt 0% fat stuff - I would ditch that in favour of full fat Greek yoghurt; which has about 3-4% carbs per 100g. If you think about it; if this dairy product hasn't got fat in it what does it have in it? It's not all protein is it? If they take away fat then they have to replace it with something and that something is our old, fat free, friend sugar...

You are on the right track, you are really going to make a difference to your health and well done for that. Be warned though when you first tell your diabetic nurse or GP or, God forbid, your dietician about what you are doing they will probably be very opposed to it; so prepare yourself for that.

Best

Dillinger