Hi I'm new and scared!

alidadas

Hiya

I'm currently 33 weeks pregnant with my 3rd baby and found out yesterday I have gestational diabetes. My midwife is getting me an appointment with a consultant which will be on Thursday but I haven't really been told what to expect at all and I'm getting scared.

I know that I'm more likely to have a large baby - which wouldn't surprise me anyway as my last baby was 9lb,10oz - but having read info I know that caesarean rates are higher for diabetic mothers and that scares me (my previous pregnancies were both normal and both births were quick and normal - only used gas and air).

I'm a borderline case so have been told hopefully we can manage it by diet alone - but I chatted to a lady yesterday who was also borderline when diagnosed (same levels as me) - but ended up being treated with insulin and was then induced at 38 weeks and ended up with a section.

I don't really know how this will affect my baby or even myself and wish I didn't have to wait til Thursday to get some answers.

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself on here as I'm sure I'll have lots of questions when I get my head round things. As I said I'm a mummy of 2 (at the moment) - my eldest is 3 and my youngest is 20 months. I've been married for 2 and a half years and I'm a SAHM.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have no direct experience of your situation, but my cousin had gestational diabetes with her second pregnancy. She's tiny herself and delivered Martin naturally. He was the biggest baby born in that hospital that year ( Munich)almost 12 pounds and he's now a healthy fit , volunteer firefighter father of 3. My daughter, who isn't diabeticc, had a big baby 9lb. 10 1/2 oz this April. baby was stuck and had to be delivered by caesarian. Baby is now gorgeous and daughter fit and well.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum.
I'm a Midwife and the best bit of advice I can offer you is this;
Question, question, question. This is your body, your baby, your birth.
It is highly likely to have a normal birth again, but induction of labour increases the chances of C/S and all that goes with it. One of the reasons that induction is offered (and I use that word deliberately) is that babies born to mothers of uncontrolled diabetes, gestational or otherwise, have a higher mortality rate.
I've done a simple google search and there is a wealth of info out there, including this site.
Don't hand control over the the first HCP you meet, but make plans for you and your baby based on sound evidence which they should provide for you. It's all about team work, not being dictated to.

Don't panic though! (I know, easy said).
If you want to ask questions of a huge amount of Midwives, consumers and otherwise, you can't go too far wrong at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ukmidwifery/

Let us know how you get on, come back and have a rant, moan, say a yippeee or two and a birth story of course.

wiflib

andyrobo

Hi alidadas

Right - no need to be scared - I have been there myself twice! And survived!!!

First time round I managed it on diet alone, just, I think I was around 30 weeks when diagnosed. I basically blindly followed the rules from the dietician - was my first baby, and it scared me too! I came out of the other end with a 10lb 14oz baby girl who was born 4 days late, by emergency section. All my levels went back to normal at check-up 3 months later. She is now a strong healthy and skinny 6 year old. Basically my diet consisted of no sugar, sensible healthy meals (plenty of carbs) and small snacks. I tested sugar levels 6 times a day and was under the care of the hospital - weekly ante-natal appointments, and a phone number to call if sugar levels went above certain levels.

Second time round, had tests early on, and think it was around 20 weeks when it reared its head again - managed diet control for two weeks - levels steadily rising - so was put on insulin injections - that horrified me! But actually it worked out ok - still had same support, and had the diabetic guy calling me twice a week to discuss levels, had fortnightly hospital appts with a team of five people, at a special clinic - always got a good time slot, and was seen on time (very unusual!), and had monthly growth scans. Insulin injections were three times a day before food - rapid acting insulin to deal with the food you ate at the meal - and they dont hurt - the needle is small and thin, and just goes into top surface of the skin - my fatty thighs were great for this!!

It was a pain (not literally) if you were out for a meal, as you had to anticipate when the meal would arrive (mine was worst time of over Christmas), and had to carry the insulin pens, testing kit (which is small) and emergency food if sugar levels went too low, but then at that late stage of pregnancy, you are slowing up a bit anyway!! I had to keep reminding myself that I only had X weeks left of this, some people have to do this all their life - it was mentally crossing off the days! Son was born by section at 38 weeks, 8lb 8oz, and spent 26 hours in SCBU as his temps and sugar levels were too low and he wouldnt feed - he looked huge in there - I think that upset me the most being all alone on the post natal ward for a day.

Anyway, enough rambling - please feel free to ask me any questions or worries you have, and I will try to answer them. You will find that you will get a lot better care from the Helath Care Professionals now you are classed as high risk, so make the most of it!!

Beverleyjac

Hiya, I know obviously everyone is different and your team of Drs and nurses will treat your case specifically for you needs but I felt like mentioning my pregnancy incase it helps at all.

I'm 27yrs old and been diabetic for nearly 11yrs, diet controlled at first and now I'm on Metformin. I went for a check up every 2 wks throughout my pregnancy. Scans around wk 36 showed our baby was a bit too big and they felt we would all be safer if we were induced at 38 wks. I gave birth to my gorgeous (biased I know) baby girl weighing 9lb 15oz naturally with no pain relief. I was put on a sliding scale of insulin and glucose to keep my energy up and when my waters were broken there was a chance that if the cord detatched I would have had an emergency cesearian but that didn't happen.

So I just wanted to say that you don't have to have a planned cesearian, speak to your team at the hospital and explain what you want. I've just contradicted myself as I mentioned everyone is different but I stuck to my guns about no pain relief and proved we could do it.

Little Emma spent an afternoon in intensive care, 5 days in High Dependancy, 1 in special care then 1 with me in the ward. That hurt more than the birth, only being alllowed to see her every 6 hours for a nappy change and tube feed.

Hope all goes well with the birth for you...so exciting isn't it? By the way, out of interest did you find out the sexes of your children? Also, have they given you a glucometer? Just wondered...

Very best of wishes x x