GETTING BETTER

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hello everyone - not been posting for a while been all over the place. Just to say i had some bloods taken a little while ago, for which i get results when i see my consultant on Tue. Had these tests as my sugars were very unpredictable. However, recently they have settled down considerably. Morning readings being a steady 6-8 and 2 hour post readings of 6-9 and pre meal 4.5-7. I do have 20 carb snacks between meals which is helping me keep my sugars more stable as without i will go under 4 and if i use less Quick acting im too high. Also my afternoon and evening ratios are both the same (1/15) which is a first since diagnosis. My breakfast is still more (1/10). Also im waking full of energy and feel like iv'e slept which is the biggest difference i have noticed, and doing more during the day diy/gardening/excercise without having a hypo. Have had the odd high/low which is prob normal but very few. Will update on tuesday when i get the results not that i think there will be anything to worry about now unlike before. Im nearly 1 year since diagnosis so it might be that i had been and still am producing some insulin, will discuss with consultant. Generally very happy with things and much more positive at the mo

Reactions: 2 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Brett!

Welcome back! Glad your BGs have settled down a bit. It's rotten when they're blipping all over the place. I've had a few periods of that and it's very worrying. I'm also still producing some insulin and it's almost 3 years since my diagnosis, so it's very likely that you are. It makes things a bit unpredictable to say the least!

Good luck on Tuesday. Let us know how you get on.

Smidge

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Really pleased for you Brett! :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had a consultant appointment toady but as most times he was unavailable so seen a dsn at the hospoital instead. However it did go very well. All my test results came back clear for anything else. However, after some talking and review of my results i have been given levimir to try instead of lantus as my backround insulin, will be trying tonight. This is mainly because if i do any moderate excercise such as a brisk walk, and have quite a large snack with no quick acting i usually hypo. Also my morning levels are slightly higher than usual between 7-8, occasionally 5.5-6. So doing the usual fasting tests in the day i found that my base was too high which i combated with frequent snacks i.e feeding the insulin. But if i reduced my lantus at night i would be too high am and if i increased it for better morning levels i would have too many hypos during the day. Hoping levemir will help but have been told it may take some time to get right as the lantus may have an effect for upto 3 days after stopping it. I did notice the levimir was the same pen as my novorapid just a different colour both made by novo nordisk.

I was also told if this doesnt help i may be better off with a pump and that would be looked into as a next step.

My hba1c was 7.0 today which is a slight increse from my last 6.7 but was happy with that.
Will let you know how i go over the next few days

pickle76

Well done Brett! Hope you get on ok with the Levemir. I have to say it made a big difference to me. I am now on a pump which has made a bigger difference still, but hoping the change in insulin cracks it for you. Let us know how you get on :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks pickle, just done first levemir injection. Must say didnt feel a thing unlike lantus which stings/burns and also leaves rather large bruises. will keep updating.

pickle76

Ooh well that's a good start! Hope all goes smoothly over the next few days and you see some good numbers once it's all settled down :thumbup:

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So far so good with the change to levemir. last night put 8 units levemir and went to bed at 6.2. Woke up this morning 6.2. Did a fast for breakfast and tested around 11am and rose slightly to 6.5, before lunch 2 hours later back to 6.21/15 for lunch of nova rapid 2 hours later 7.2. Before tea down to 5.4. All this with no snacks - amazing. Did have a little blip at tea. Did 1/15 but was 11.2 2 hours after. Maybe levemir wearing off slightly as i was due it only 1 hour after that reading, maybe i will try 1/12 for tea tomorrow to combat that as i dont want extra levemir in day just to cover that 1 hour.

Overall really happy so far and hope it continues.

pickle76

Oh that's brilliant. Am really pleased for you, and hope it continues! And yes, sounds like a good plan with the ratio change at teatime.