SACKED for having a hypo!

scottishbrian

After being out of work for a few months, I finally managed to get a job in the Holiday Inn.. on the first day I had a hypo at around 11am due to the fact they had me running around daft. It came to the end of my shft, about 4.30pm, to be told I wouldn't be getting anymore shifts due to the fact I was a "liability" basically incase I was left alone for too long.

Absolutely ridiculous!

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What time did you start work? Were you overdue a break?
Did you know you were getting low levels, could you have prevented it by having some jelly babies in your pocket etc?

Doesn't seem fair to me, hope you get something sorted.
Regards
Angie

scottishbrian

I started at half 8 in the mornng, and no.. I wasnt due a break til 12 for lunch. In saying that, I had to go for a break once this happened to sort myself out.. it came on very quickly so didnt have time to sort myself out before it got too bad!

louisewomble

That is discrimination and is illegal!
I would contact their HR dept and have words with them.
All they need to do is to give you a personal risk assessment!
Employers are not allowed to discriminate on the grounds of disability - not that Diabetes is that - but it still counts under the legislation!
Good luck !

BeccaJaneStClair

louisewomble said:
That is discrimination and is illegal!
I would contact their HR dept and have words with them.
All they need to do is to give you a personal risk assessment!
Employers are not allowed to discriminate on the grounds of disability - not that Diabetes is that - but it still counts under the legislation!
Good luck !

Agreed and just what I was about to say.

scottishbrian

ive been wondering whether or not to contact them with a complaint because it was in february, but after discussing with friends and reading your comments, ive emailed them asking for an email address to someone in the uk HR department to send a complaint!!

I do believe I was let go unlawfully and will not let people like them get away with it!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Fight the Power! (Public Enemy - more proper hip-hop!) :wink:

Good luck to you - definitely fight them all the way with this. They can't dismiss you like that.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Patch said:

Good luck to you - definitely fight them all the way with this. They can't dismiss you like that.

I agree with all that has been said, fight them all the way and the very best of luck to you :)

sip

If you intend to take this further, say to Industrial Tribunal, then the time limit is very short, something like 3 months.

glenmoray

I've been told that your employer must give you time for you to test your sugar levels and eat and look after your self. If they don't they are discriminating you because of your diabetes.Once a employer finds out your diabetic they should do a risk assesment for you. Mine has stopped me working shifts of nights as this messes your insulin program up.Also I get my full meal breaks and allowed to get a sugary drink if I feel my sugar levels starting to fall. What the holiday inn have done to you is illegal. Have them for unfair dismissal and discrimination against being diabetic. Good luck

pompeykeith

Hi,

I'll be Devil's Advocate.

Was you aware of the impending hypo? Do you carry glucose sweets or Glucogel?

Was it a hypo requiring assistance?

When you had an interview did you declare your diabetes?

What was you blood sugar reading at the beginning of shift?

You have a duty of care to be fit for your work if you have clocked on and not reported sick.

That said, diabetes come under the DDA, (Disability Discrimination Act) but only if this was declares in your application, interview or medical screening.

Try this course of action if you require but at the end of the day the company does not really have to give an explination for not requiring your services any more if you are still in your trial period.

Tough but true.

Next time, be prepared for any eventuality.

Good luck.

Pompeykeith

scottishbrian

They knew I was diabetic, not from the interview, but before the start of my shift because we had a chat before I started the shift and she pointed out that there was another member of staff with Diabetes.

I was definitely not aware of the hypo.. like I said it came on very quick and very strong. And no, I had no glucose tablets or sweets, but i quickly made my way to the vending machine to get myself a sugary snack, which in turned sorted my sugar levels.

What I was most angry at was the hypo came on at around 11am... if they knew they werent going to keep me on after that... why keep me working til the end of the day?!

And to be told it was because she was worried that I would have a hypo, collapse and not be found for hours was absolutely ridiculous! Staff members should be checked up on on a regular basis anyway! Especially in housekeeping! I done the exact same job, but a little harder in the Apex Hotel for over 3 years!

And no, no assistance required... Ive been dealing with these things for 20 years now....

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Patch said:

Power to the People... John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wos-dDxpJlQ

anyway...

get in touch with your local Citizen's Advice Bureau

Hope it goes well. :)

solana

You say you have diabetes for 20 years so why were you not carrying glucose in your pocket? However that said I believe the employer acted illegally. Be prepared though for them to say that you also have a duty of care to yourself. I have been on insulin for over 50 years and always carry glucose on me.

scottishbrian

Do you think every diabetic carries around glucose in their pockets?

Whether or not I had glucose on me is beside the point. the hypo would still have happened and the situation would have still been the same. I am quite confused about the comment about glucose to be honest... what difference would there be? I did have a duty of care to myself, and acted on that duty by going to the vending machine for a sugary snack. The same result as the glucose would have had...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
scottishbrian said:
Do you think every diabetic carries around glucose in their pockets?

Whether or not I had glucose on me is beside the point. the hypo would still have happened and the situation would have still been the same. I am quite confused about the comment about glucose to be honest... what difference would there be? I did have a duty of care to myself, and acted on that duty by going to the vending machine for a sugary snack. The same result as the glucose would have had...

You are correct about the outcome. As we all know it is always advisible to carry a hypo treatment with us at all times, but sometimes we forget to replace with a new packet, or sweets etc. With what you have said, it sounds as though your diabetic hypo was inconveinient to them and they probably thought we don't want this guy, he's only been here 5 minutes and he's having a medical problem already ( as we know hypos can come out of the blue for no good reason whatsoever, they happen).......so you were out the door. Not right, but probably true. They wouldn't of reacted in the same way to someone who had been there for a while, because of all the problems it would of caused them as a company.

pompeykeith

Hi Brian,

I understand that you are really annoyed at the situation. In an ideal world life and its experiences would be fair. It was underhand to not tell you until the end of the day, but you really have no rights whilst on a probationary period. All they need to say is that you are unsuitable for the role, end of story. The manager may have had second thoughts as to having another diabetic on their team and decided that it would affect their performance as a whole. Not very ethical I know. Take this as a learning experience and be prepared next time. Check your sugar level regularly when on a new job to see if any adjustment is required. An employer should let you do that. Yes, you should be allowed to monitor your condition, it is your responsibility to manage it as well as doing your job. You are getting the same pay as a non diabetic in the same role. But again you should be allowed reasonable time for that, in an ideal world. I know this all sounds harsh, but I speak from experience. Be savvy and prepared.

Good luck with the next job.

Pompeykeith

scottishbrian

pompeykeith said:
but you really have no rights whilst on a probationary period. All they need to say is that you are unsuitable for the role, end of story. The manager may have had second thoughts as to having another diabetic on their team and decided that it would affect their performance as a whole.

Yeah Ive thought all this too. Its just unsightly that the bad hypo on the day I was to start a new job! Life's life and isnt always fair, I know. Ive moved on from the situaton, but still want to bring it up with HR because they cant be allowed to do this AT ALL!

Just because someone has a medical condition..... infuriates me!

louisewomble

pompeykeith said:
Hi Brian,

I understand that you are really annoyed at the situation. In an ideal world life and its experiences would be fair. It was underhand to not tell you until the end of the day, but you really have no rights whilst on a probationary period. All they need to say is that you are unsuitable for the role, end of story. The manager may have had second thoughts as to having another diabetic on their team and decided that it would affect their performance as a whole. Not very ethical I know. Take this as a learning experience and be prepared next time. Check your sugar level regularly when on a new job to see if any adjustment is required. An employer should let you do that. Yes, you should be allowed to monitor your condition, it is your responsibility to manage it as well as doing your job. You are getting the same pay as a non diabetic in the same role. But again you should be allowed reasonable time for that, in an ideal world. I know this all sounds harsh, but I speak from experience. Be savvy and prepared.

Good luck with the next job.

Pompeykeith

RUBBISH!
You have all the rights in the world on a probationary period if it comes down to Disability Discrimination!!!!!

louisewomble

In the current climate getting a job is hard - so I would challenge this decision. Speak to their HR department, they have a duty of care to staff and accomodating Disabilities is one of those duties. I would ask for your job back, along with a risk assessment to be done on you and your job (this should be done on all new employees anyway).

If not I would put in a claim to an Employment Tribunal. If you look up the nearest one in your area and contact them, you will find that they will be very helpful and advise you about your application. Employers have obligations that are not optional - even if there are lot's more people waiting to take your place. If you need help - the CAB will also be a good port of call! ( I am assuming you are not in a Trade Union?)

Oh - and in case you were wondering - I have a background of 27 years working for a trade union! Workers rights were bread and butter to me! (less the bread nowadays as am low carb : ).....).

You might ask if it's worth doing? Yes! Of course it is - this is a way of life - Diabetics are not a liability or a danger! We live with it - it should not define who we are and what we are capable of!

Good luck! x