Why I don't.....

Spiral

Thanks for that, Libby. I think I have come back here for a bit of support to shed the last 40 kilos :crazy: When I have done that, I will have lost half the bodyweight I had at diagnosis :shock:

From your experience, I can see I need to substantially reduce the carbs I eat (in non carby food) and I am pondering how to do that at the moment. I have got in to some bad habits over the last year :oops: there has been lots of upheaval and my carb addicition leads to comfort eating when I am stressed.

I am a vegetarian and I eat a lot of nuts (mainly walnuts and almonds) and I can see that I need to consider that carefully and at the very least do very strict portion control.

On the plus side, it is the summer and it is so easy to eat raw food now as so much is in season and I think I can handle a little monotony in my diet for a while with all those lovely flavours and textures :D

SweetHeart

We have four children, the youngest is 15, oldest 26. It is very hard to low carb when we need to feed them too. Much as I look at things they eat with boggle eyes and eyebrows in my hairline, I won't stop them eating the yummy carb laden stuff. We have cut down the carb-laden stuff we bring into the house however. They are all aware of the dangers of carbs, and that there is such a thing as hereditary diabetes, so they are beginning to control their carb intake by themselves. The oldest boy had a coke habit - at least 4 cans of cola per day - he's stopped that completely. He also works out daily on his Wii. The younger two boys are much more conscious that putting junk into your body causes damage you cannot see, and our only daughter put on such a lot of weight whilst writing her dissertation and revising that she also low carbs.

I found that the way to be the carb cravings was to take either Banaba Leaf or Gymnema Sylvestre supplements, although supplements aren't everyone's choice.

Ju

Spiral

My pre menstual carb cravings can be really difficult to handle so I generally operate a damage limitation/harm minimisation approach with a chcolate cheescake at between 8-12 carbs a portion, depending on the actual ingredients. I'd be interested in looking in to supplements to deal with the carb cravings...

My non vegetarian and rapidly growing 15 year old have come to an accomodation about carbs. He eats carbs at school and is happy to eat low carb at home, but there are still things in the house that he likes to eat, there are crumpets in the freezer at the moment (I'm trying not to think about marmite and crumpets). I find the best way to manage crisps is not have them in the house.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Hey Spiral
You are absolutely right. Foods that we don't eat don't get bought or brought into our house. Grown up offspring know that if they come to stay they might get yummy food but might be things they have never tried before. Mostly people don't know they are eating low carb high fat food unless you tell them. You might try making mini cheese cakes (mine have about 2 g carbs) and that is more self limiting than something that you can have a big slice of.
Try psyllium husk pancakes with berries and double cream instead of the crumpets. Have them in the freezer so that you can have a quick treat.
Chromium supplements are supposed to reduce carb cravings but for me if the things I once used to crave have to be anywhere but here and the longer you are able to not have them the easier it gets.
I also agree wth the alcohol becoming the fuel before fat and it simply is a horror for me with cravings.
Alison

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
I'm a carb addict and I wish there was an easy solution. Years ago (through worry when my father, very fit, slim etc.. dropped dead of a heart attack) I gave up alcohol, cigarrettes and caffine. My remaining vice was dairy milk chocolate and freshly cooked white bread, warm and dripping with butter. :sick:
Yes.... so now no bread and butter or chocolate. I have to very low carb - no more than 30g a day because as soon as I eat a carb I want more. For me there is no way I can have 'just one' bite of chocolate or just one small potato - it always decends into a gluttony fest. I am lucky that I have two children and a husband at home.... but unluckily for me they also like carbs with their meals so every day is a round of cooking for them and cooking for me! I know I can't slip up - the repercussions are too awful but sometimes I have resorted to sniffing their chocolate biscuits! Suprisingly I find it easiest when I am at work and I have managed to ignore the vending machines screaming at me to indulge.

Now my vice is cheese and nuts.... and if anyone tries to tell me I need to give them up.... be scared, very scared..... :lol: :lol:

clearviews

Dislikes
Hey there Truffle
I have been making batches of Linseed and almond biscuits and spread them liberally with butter!!!!! It is so simple and absolutely scrumptious. Equal parts of ground almonds and ground flaxseed meal (linseed) and enough water to bind. Roll out as thinly as you like between two sheets of baking paper, peel off top layer and microwave until crisp. Approx 2 mins for very thin ones. I season with salt and herbs in the mixing. I make crispbreads out of them and have a lunch on a biscuit for variety...avocado, tuna, cheese, cucumber.
Alison

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks Alison - I will be heading for the supermarket on my way home to find flaxsees / linseed meal as this sounds too good not to try! The thought of eating pate, peanut butter, cream cheese on anything rather than celery sound wonderful.
Thanks very much :thumbup:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't buy the ready ground stuff, it's expensive and goes off quickly. Go for whole seeds (the brown and golden are exactly the same) and store in the fridge until you need to grind them whick is easily done in a coffee grinder or blender. If they have a fishy smell, they have gone off. Last time I bought some, quite a while ago now, you could get a big bag from Tescos for about a quid.

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tescos it is then!

I might have to use more of the flax / linseed than a 50 / 50 ratio as I've just seen how many carbs are in 1/2 a cup of ground almonds! :)

clearviews

Dislikes
Thinks I am going to have to buy a coffee grinder. Thanks Libby.
Somehow can't see my blender doing it. Do have a food processor which should have the capacity to do that as it cost enough! Will read my instructions.
The ratios really are adaptable. More linseed makes a firmer biscuit. The almond meal makes it lighter. You can do it with all flaxseed if you wish, it still will work. I used a combo this morning for a 'porridge" with cream, cinnamon and xylitol. So good on a chilly morning (9C).

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You probably wont need as much as half a cup. They should be rolled thinly and do little batches until you have the right mix. I also added finely grated very hard cheese to mine and as they cooled down, they really got a good 'snap' to them. I also did them with just flax and cheese, no almond meal.