Vivid dreams

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Hi, im fairly new to all this. Have been diagnosed as Type 2 for about 2 years. Still don't really know what Im doing. Have just managed to get a monitor from my DSN as I can't seem to bring my hba1c down. After a few tests I have found my morning levels are higher than 2 hours after my evening meal. Also I have been having a problem with really vivid dreams, everynight its a different one, some are nightmares but mainly Im waking up in the morning so tired. Has anyone else experinced this? Could it be to do with my sugar levels or my medication?

I take 1 x 850mg of Metformin in the morning and with my evening meal, and 1 x 15mg Pioglitazon in the morning.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lenny

Do you take a statin by any chance? They used to give me vivid nightmares until I gave them up.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Hi Robert,

No I've not had those before.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Lenny, how's your diet? Do you count carbs? Most diabetics BS is high in the morning it's called the Dawn phenomenon, nice to have something named after me lol. Not sure about the vivid dreams, it could well be because you are worried and have stuff on your mind. Maybe getting control of your BS should put paid to that.
Dawn

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
robert72 said:
Hi Lenny

Do you take a statin by any chance? They used to give me vivid nightmares until I gave them up.

Don't want to take this off-topic but just had to reply and say that's interesting to read. My father was on statins a couple of years ago and he complained of the same thing (along with a whole host of other awful symptoms) until he too gave them up.

jfran

When i first started taking metformin shortly after diagnosis I had very vivid dreams. I dont know whether it was an effect of the medicine (started the 1st night i started taking them), or the fact that it was probably the first time in a very very long time I started slerping through the whole night instead of getting up umpteen times for the loo. These vivid dreams only happened for a couple of weeks for me, and now i only get vivid circular dreams when im dozing between alarms.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always had vivid dreams... WAY back before I was dignosed.

bilwardo

Hi Lenny,
Your story is interesting. I have vivid dreams too, some good and many not so good - have no solution for them, sorry.
But the waking up still tired... I used to have that, and by the time they found the problem, I had lost my job and my family had left too. That was in 1996. I was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnoea. It is a 'hidden' and in many cases an unknown condition that has many side effects, and some are really serious. The GP can arrange for tests to be done in a Sleep Clinic, and the recovery is successful, with the use of a CPAP machine at night.
Good luck, and if you find a solution for the dreams, please let me know.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Thank you for your replies. After reading many other thread on here and after testing, I have decided to go low carb. I have done the Atkins diet many years ago so know it should be a good way to lose weight too. I have found my old Atkins book, and ordered the New Diabetes revolution along with the Collins Gem Carb counter that alot of people seem to use. So next week when I go food shopping, I should be all set and ready to go!

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Nightmares with statins too, when I stopped the statins the strange dreams stopped too.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Hi,

Im now on day 3 of Atkins, feeling good. My BG numbers have come way down, and are now within the guidelines. So pleased about that! Also have Ketones so must be on my way to losing weight. Got plenty to lose, so it's all good. Just really happy and pleased with myself at the moment. Still having the vivid dream so far, will have to see how that goes. Thanks to everyone here for all the comments, suggestions and receipes that help everyone. Im so glad I found this forum.

L x

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Now on day 8 of Atkins style diet, weighed myself last night, have lost about 7lbs, so really happy. Also my BG are so much better, most under 10 even after a meal! Onwards and Downwards!!! :lol:

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi there im a male with type1 ,im getting dreams and the odd nightmare some scary , im on novorapid and lantus injections, ive asoo been given some medication for HBP is this happening to other diabetics.

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Spaceman

Type 1 50 years here and I can relate to your dreams and nightmares. About 5 or 6 years ago I suffered badly from these. Some were very scary and continuous. Night after night. The oddest thing was the nightmare seemed to find my weakness(es) and include them making the whole thing he**ish. To be honest I thought I was going nuts.

Eventually I needed to speak to my GP about them and he asked about my blood sugar level before bed. It was usually about 7. He felt sure I was hypo-ing through the night and nature’s way was to throw me into a nightmare, hopefully wakening me to go eat something. In all the years I’d had the illness I’d never heard of this and I still don’t know if the reason he gave was correct. He suggested some toast before bedtime and it fixed the problem. Interestingly though, they began just after I was taken off twice-daily injections and put onto multiple i.e. Novorapid and Levemir.

Bill

Reactions: 3 people

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well i always have an adventure in mine,
I scribbled down last nights:

A Hamster passed through the wall, threw confetti and salad cream everywhere. When I got mad about the mess he said, in Mandarin, I think it was, not to worry as the world was tilting funny tomorrow. Now seeing that he did pass through a wall I was inclined to believe him and I started to think on a bit here. it's not even Friday the 13th. He looked at me and asked me what the date was mumbling "Hiya fingers" to himself. After I told him he said sorry, warned me about time machines and to try to be dead before 2037 at half-two, or the world would do it for you. Then he turned and slam dunked himself into the bin. When I looked inside all that was left was a chicken bone, an OXO wrapper and Minder on Blu-ray. I tried to pick the disc out the bin but when I did it turned to into shampoo ( I could tell by the consistency, Vidal Sassoon I think).

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Thats the sort of things my dreams have, they are always totally random, just very vivid. I still haven't managed to work out whats causing them. I suppose it could be the Metformin, but I still need the one I still take.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well 18 months later I think I have figured out when I get vivid dreams. Someone else was talking about sleep issues and that reminded me. I believe that when I am in ketosis my dreams and much more vivid. Its strange but thats what seems to be happening. So losing weight but weird vivid dreams......I'll survive. :D

Now if only I could get those dreams to feature the likes of Jason Statham.....................:oops:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Used to have wild,vivid,colourful dreams when was on statins and levemir insulin . :eek:
Now off the both of these , my dreams are only occasional and much more pleasant .

I used to wake up with a very tired brain despite sleeping a good 7-8 hours sleep .

Became intollerant of both the statins and levemir so came off them both .
Much more restful quality sleep since :joyful: