Morning Highs

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Hello. I keep suffering from morning high of around 12/13. I was on 48 units of Lantus but now its down to 30 as I kept having hypos 2-3hours after taking it and ive starting biking a lot more now so I brought it down 2 units every night. Ive done some research and it looks like I should be putting my Lantus up if im suffering from highs in the morning. Its starting to worry me now as its not to bad having a high in the day as I can get it down but when its high over night its for a lot long time period.

Anyone had this problem?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What are your bg readings pre-bed and have you tried testing your bg throughout the night to see what is happening with your bg?

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
noblehead said:
What are your bg readings pre-bed and have you tried testing your bg throughout the night to see what is happening with your bg?

Ahh, testing through the night would be the next step. Before bed there usually 6-8. I did some work a few weeks back and my sugar levels were so much better as I was in a routine. I finished college last June and im currently stuck in a part time retail job. I find routine is the key but at the moment I don't seem to have much of a routine.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Beav said:
Ahh, testing through the night would be the next step. Before bed there usually 6-8. I did some work a few weeks back and my sugar levels were so much better as I was in a routine. I finished college last June and im currently stuck in a part time retail job. I find routine is the key but at the moment I don't seem to have much of a routine.

I would certainly recommend that you test for a night or two just to get a better picture of what your bg is doing, try and do this when you are not at work the following day as testing will obviously disturbs your sleep.

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
noblehead said:
Beav said:

I would certainly recommend that you test for a night or two just to get a better picture of what your bg is doing, try and do this when you are not at work the following day as testing will obviously disturbs your sleep.

Yeah :) It gets quite hard as I do a lot of biking as well but I just don't know how much I will be doing prior to going out so sometimes I almost have to just wait for a hypo. I do often have a sugary drink before riding but sometimes I can be out 4-5hours riding. Anyway the main problem here is the morning highs which concern me as its for long periods of time

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your levels are going up overnight I'd suggest giving yourself more Lantus. I'd be surprised if it was your Lantus making you hypo two hours after injecting is as it is a long releasing insulin. More likely, I think, to be the affect of exercise or short acting insulin. Are you injecting any short acting insulin within a few hours of bedtime? Where do you inject your Lantus? Injecting into your leg means it will be released slower and may not lead to hypos after injecting it (if it is the Lantus causing your hypos).

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I kept getting morning highs. At first it was thought that my blood sugar was dropping and my liver dumping but after doing some tests through the night I realised that that was not the case. After a suggestion from "Alaska" I have started splitting my Levemir in to 3 equal doses 8 hours apart, I used to split it in to 2. I have been doing this for a week now and my morning blood sugars are much better, between 7-9, whereas I was waking in the high teens before

Lorna

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lorna - good news that the Levemir split has improved your morning BGs.

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Thanks for all the replies/support. I do my lantus in my leg and my novorapid in my stomache. I will test tonight and see how it goes. For me im finding it hard to carb count. Morning dosage is fine as I eat the same thing for breakfast every day but through the day I become a lot more sensitive to insulin.

I will test tonight and tomorrow night and see how I get on. Whats times would you recommend me waking up to test my sugar level? 2 am and 6am?

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Not a good star, just had tea and done my sugar level 2 hours later and my sugar level is 13.8. Forgot I had a monster energy drink :/ Done my correction dose then ile test at 2am and 6am

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Just tested throughout the night. It was 8.7 at 1am and at 4am it was 5.7 and now at 9am its 10.1 :/

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Beav

You might have messed that up a bit with the sugary drink incident.

Best to keep everything level during the 4 hours before bed so there's no bolus left working and nothing still in digestion.

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
robert72 said:
Hi Beav

You might have messed that up a bit with the sugary drink incident.

Best to keep everything level during the 4 hours before bed so there's no bolus left working and nothing still in digestion.

Ok, ile do it again tonight then :)

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Did the tests again last night. 5.1 at 1am then at 4am it was 4.6, i felt myself going low so I have a few mouth fulls of orange juice (fresh) and it was 17 this morning!

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Same thing happened last night. It was 8.7 before bed then 12 when I woke up :/

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not as big a rise as yesterday. Try and get it to around 5-ish at bedtime.

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
robert72 said:
Not as big a rise as yesterday. Try and get it to around 5-ish at bedtime.

Should I bring my Lantus down by 2 units then see what my reading is at 4am?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unless you're having night hypos, I'd be inclined to leave it for now and do a few more night tests to build up a better picture of levels during sleep. If you've done anything in the hours leading up to bedtime which might affect overnight levels then disregard those night's figures.