Second part of The Men Who Made Us Fat on tonight

Defren

SouthernGeneral6512 said:
BBC 2 9pm

Don't know if there will be anything explosive tonight or just going over old ground

The point is, this may be old ground to the likes of posters here who are aware of the hidden dangers in our foods. However, do you think the average busy mom knows all the information we do? I certainly didn't until I came here. If the message we have been repeating here is listened to by people who don't know the truth, and just one person is saved from becoming a diabetic or 'food victim', then I see that as a very positive thing!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
BBC 2 9pm

Don't know if there will be anything explosive tonight or just going over old ground

I missed the 1st one, so I will try and have a look at tonights episode.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Defren said:
BBC 2 9pm

The point is, this may be old ground to the likes of posters here who are aware of the hidden dangers in our foods. However, do you think the average busy mom knows all the information we do? I certainly didn't until I came here. If the message we have been repeating here is listened to by people who don't know the truth, and just one person is saved from becoming a diabetic or 'food victim', then I see that as a very positive thing!

And it seems that the "truth" according to this weeks episode is that the obesity epidemic that is cursing our health right now is because we all eat too much food, which is what I have been saying for years.

Sid Bonkers_Nov 2011 said:
when in fact 90% of obese people are obese due to the fact that they eat too much.

Oh and who would have thought that "portion control" could affect our weight? Oh that was me as well wasnt it :lol:

So yes its old ground but the truth is that in general most people just eat too much food nowadays, now we know will it make any difference? I doubt it, Joe Public will carry on eating themselves to an early grave until something happens to change his/her mind, like a heart attack or a diabetes diagnosis. I wouldnt have started eating less had I not been diagnoses diabetic, but since I was I have only eaten the portions of food my parents eat in the 50's when I was a boy when snacking was unheard of and it has worked for me as I have lost over 4 stones and sustained that weight loss for over two years now and despite being told by someone that my diet was unsustainable I havent wasted away to nothing yet :lol: :lol:

SouthernGeneral6512

It's kinda obvious people are obese because they eat too much the big question is do the companies who make the junk food make it as addictive as possible to boost their profits?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
It's kinda obvious people are obese because they eat too much the big question is do the companies who make the junk food make it as addictive as possible to boost their profits?

Exactly. Portion Control is two things. The size of the portion and just as importantly what it is a portion of. So eating twice the recommended portion of veg is not the same as eating twice the recommended portion of high sugar cornflakes. When the food and drink industry targets selling larger portions of bad but "addictive" stuff such as high sugar products, unhealthy highly processed low fat products and snacks etc. and then makes it appear financially attractive to the consumer then its little wonder we are where we are.

I thought the main thing that came out of the program was the recognition by the French and the Danes that the industry is the real culprit and had started taxing junk foods as a consequence. As one interviewee stated near the end it would seem we are near the same kind of point we were at just before governments started legislating against tobacco. Lets hope so.

Scardoc

I don't think it's made to be addictive, I think it's made as cheaply as possible to boost their profits and to satisfy the demands of the consumer for cheaper food. This raises all sorts of sociological and ethical issues. Can you blame people who struggle for money and buy cheap food? Should the Government be taxing the food? Should the Government be setting strict laws on the allowable sugar content in our food?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
do the companies who make the junk food make it as addictive as possible to boost their profits?

I do agree.... however we do have a choice on what foods we eat, no one forces us to indulge in take-away food or highly processed microwave meals, as I said in the other thread about this programme we need to go back to basics and encourage people back into the kitchen cooking fresh wholesome food.

btw, not seen last nights and hope to catch up over the weekend.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
noblehead said:
do the companies who make the junk food make it as addictive as possible to boost their profits?

I do agree.... however we do have a choice on what foods we eat, no one forces us to indulge in take-away food or highly processed microwave meals, as I said in the other thread about this programme we need to go back to basics and encourage people back into the kitchen cooking fresh wholesome food.

btw, not seen last nights and hope to catch up over the weekend.

I did manage to watch most of it. The portion sizes are unbelievable I was shocked at the size of a certain cake, and people eat this :shock: I totally agree that it is down to the individual on what they eat and how big the portion size is. It used to be nice to have a treat now and again, but a huge percent of food consumed nowdays is in fact' treat food' of years ago.

Lets get the government to get Home Economics back into the classroom, I don't just mean making a pizza or fairy cakes, but learning about nutrition, fat conent, carbs and proteins etc and getting back to basics, how it used to be, before this vast epidemic of lazy people with sedantry lives and even too lazy to walk down to the shop anymore, they use the car get back home and phone up for a takeawy to be delivered. The pragramme even talked of children getting Type 2 diabetes :( which years ago was called late onset type 2 diabetes. This country is crying out for help with this problem and the government must do something NOW.

I went shopping this morning and bought a weekly shop ( I don't drive I walked down with my trolley to put the heavy items in) I bought for myself, a fresh mushroom stirfry cost, £1. I could of also bought a bag of minstrels, cost £1 in stead, but I didn't and not because I have type 1. I like a treat of chocolate or cake/biscuits the same as any one else. It was my choice.

I wonder what you will make of the programme when you get round to viewing it?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It did emphasis that children are still doing the same amount of activity that they did years ago (tho when that was I have no idea). They actually monitored them. One of the reasons they gave for them slowing down was because they were too fat, not lazy.

Lets be honest here it takes a great deal of effort to shop, cook and change your diet otherwise why would we all be here asking for advice.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Robin Redbreast,

They still do Home Economics in school although it's called something else now (which I can't remember). When my kids were doing this subject they would always be making desserts and not much else, when I was doing HE at school it was good old fashioned grub like stews/casseroles and Shepard's/cottage pie's.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dawnmc said:
It did emphasis that children are still doing the same amount of activity that they did years ago (tho when that was I have no idea). They actually monitored them. One of the reasons they gave for them slowing down was because they were too fat, not lazy.

Lets be honest here it takes a great deal of effort to shop, cook and change your diet otherwise why would we all be here asking for advice.

I was just commenting on last night programme, unfortunately people are getting lazier, I see it and I hear it all the time. Actually I'm being lazy, sitting here typing this :lol: ooops, but then again I was busy and active this morning.

I don't understand the 'great deal of effort to shop' :? we all have to do it, with or without a car and making little changes here and there regarding what we eat and the portion size of what we eat will help a great deal. People can change, with help if they need it but only if they really want to.

I dont recall the bit about children being too fat, not lazy. Did it say why the children were like this?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
noblehead said:
Robin Redbreast,

They still do Home Economics in school although it's called something else now (which I can't remember). When my kids were doing this subject they would always be making desserts and not much else, when I was doing HE at school it was good old fashioned grub like stews/casseroles and Shepard's/cottage pie's.

I love cottage pie, casseroles, stews etc. Good wholesome food with vegetables and that aaaaahhhhhh feeling. Wonderful food :D

Scardoc

dawnmc said:

I need to catch up with this programme over the weekend as I find the above quite amazing. The "years ago" couldn't have been before the gaming/pc/phone revolution!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Robinredbreast said:
People can change, with help if they need it but only if they really want to.

Now that is the key isnt it? You can lead a horse etc...

Robinredbreast said:
I dont recall the bit about children being too fat, not lazy. Did it say why the children were like this?

It was mentioned last night that research that involved measuring movement in children proved that they run around as much now as the have always done, a fact that any parent can testify to :thumbup: In a nutshell what they said was that kids get fat because they eat too much and are snacking all the time, that makes them fat and then its the fat that stops them exercising. So in efect they are not fat because they are inactive - kids never sit still do they?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Robinredbreast said:

Yes that was the other really interesting bit. They did a study that measured the actual activity of children and found them to be no less active than they were 30 years ago. The conclusion is therefore it is not a lack of activity but what the children are eating that is to blame. Again the responsibility was placed firmly with the food and drink industry for marketing "snacks" and super sizing bars of chocolate etc. When this evidence was presented to the then labour government it was just ignored. The implication is that it is politically easier to blame being overweight on being fat and lazy rather than the real cause which is the food and drinks industry.

I think the "they didn't have to eat it" thing is largely unfair. If you accept advertising and marketing campaigns work and can persuade people to buy certain products then persuading people to eat super sized portions of rubbish is no different in my mind. Yes they didn't have to do it in the same way as people don't have to buy iPads or specific brands of other products.

I do agree the lack of real HE lessons in school is diabolical.

I am more inclined toward the taxation of rubbish foods than trying to set health limits for sugar content etc. I think the limits route is probably too complex to implement within a reasonable time frame. Overall taxation and an effective health campaign against rubbish foods so that it gets viewed in the same way as say drink driving would be more effective. A ban on advertising so that blatantly unhealthy companies like McDonald's can't support events like Euro 2012 or Coke with the Olympics would also be useful. How you stop someone like Kellogg's gaining undue influence over DUK through donations is another issue.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sid Bonkers said:
Robinredbreast said:
People can change, with help if they need it but only if they really want to.

Now that is the key isnt it? You can lead a horse etc...

Robinredbreast said:

It was mentioned last night that research that involved measuring movement in children proved that they run around as much now as the have always done, a fact that any parent can testify to :thumbup: In a nutshell what they said was that kids get fat because they eat too much and are snacking all the time, that makes them fat and then its the fat that stops them exercising. So in efect they are not fat because they are inactive - kids never sit still do they?

I do a lot of walking and since August last yera cycling, :D I don't mean marathon bike rides, but up to my dad's house or out with my daughter. Before that, or the changeable weather, I would bus to my dad's and walk back, lots of lovely fresh air and bird and squirrel watching, petting cats and dogs :D It took 40 t0 45 mins to walk back at a steady pace. When I told someone this last year that I walked back from my dad's, this person thought it was minutes away and was absolutley shocked to find out I WALKED for40 mins, even though it did only feel like 10 mins. I will never forget the look on that persons face, I felt as though I had done something not heard of before lol.

Scardoc

xyzzy said:
[Yes that was the other really interesting bit. They did a study that measured the actual activity of children and found them to be no less active than they were 30 years ago. The conclusion is therefore it is not a lack of activity but what the children are eating that is to blame.

I can't remember the exact stats or be bothered to go digging for them just now but I'm sure that there are more overweight kids at school leaving age than any other. Did they say how old the kids they monitored were? I'm currently watching my 14yr old daughter go from a very active, ready to try anything kinda girl, to a can't be bothered, would rather sit on my ipod/phone than go do anything kinda girl. I think there's possibly a crucial stage when kids stop having that need to "play" and can become more lazy. Also, until very recently, they could drop PE earlier in school so there was no one making them do anything.

I don't buy, from what I see, that our kids are as active as 30 years ago. I certainly buy that they eat more, and too much, **** in their diets. Education is the only way forward and that can only start in earnest when our leader's start putting health first, and campaign funders second. That will be the day when someone can win an election without major financial backing. Could be a while then :(

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
There is no doubt that I eat a larger 'quantity" of food nowadays as opposed to when I was obese. It is 'what' I eat that has made the difference between a 'normal' BMI and obesity (0.4 into the overweight range).
I maintain it is what I eat not how much I eat that has made me healthier.