Butter ...which one?

Terminator 2

When first diagnosed Diabetic I changed a few shopping items, one being butter, twice I've changed what I buy and after my misconception with the 'light' tag on yesterdays Nestle Coffee-Mate thread I thought I'd have a shufty at the nutritional values on the three butters ....which brought me to posting this thread to find a definitive answer. I'm maybe reading too much into general health, fats etc, and should just be sticking to the carbs comparison.

Anyway links for reference as below...

1.Anchor Spreadable @Dx
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/Shoppi ... r%20butter

2.Anchor Spreadable Lighter Shift 1
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/asda-c ... _500g.html

3.Clover Lighter Now using.
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/asda-c ... _500g.html

If its just carbs then I may well have went from bad to worse :lol:

Your input appreciated :thumbup:

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You want butter, the real stuff. None of these spreads with things added. No carbs in the real stuff.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I love President butter, but its getting dearer, you can make your own tho'. Going to try it sometime.

Terminator 2

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Any, as long as it's real butter and comes from grass-fed cows.

Kerrygold and Anchor are the two best that I can think about. Decent butter is very healthy, a nice mix of healthy-saturated and monounsaturated fat (with very little polyunsaturated fat).

I can't find the link, but I remember reading that a 50:50 mix of butter and coconut oil is a close approximation to the composition of human fat (palmitic) acid.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like tesco olive oil spread, 0g carbs, 0g sugars and tastes quite nice.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Great topic and point.
I have been using the anchor lite spread.
Is this the right one to use?
Often wondered if this was the right one or should it be better
to go with just the proper anchor one! ???
Please do comment as it will help me.
Anna.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It has to be proper butter, no half measures scuse the pun. However there is 1 gram of carb in 10 grams of anchor light.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most of the 'spreadables' are simply butter that has been whipped up with water. You pay the same for less product!

Check out your olive oil spread, it's usually a concoction of stuff blended in a lab with a tiny bit of olive oil added.

My butter of choice is President, simply because I love the taste and it's often cheaper than the cheapest supermarket brand.

Defren

I use Sainsbury's taste the difference butter as it's made with Jersey milk, so really, really creamy. I love it!!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
President bitter for me - lovey taste :) If I can't get that it's a nice welsh butter - although I do find they can be a bit salty.

cuillie

Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
wiflib said:
Most of the 'spreadables' are simply butter that has been whipped up with water. You pay the same for less product!

Check out your olive oil spread, it's usually a concoction of stuff blended in a lab with a tiny bit of olive oil added.

My butter of choice is President, simply because I love the taste and it's often cheaper than the cheapest supermarket brand.

I'm moving to your part of the world, up here in the Highlands, President butter is around £1.60. Like you it's my favourite and I think pure butter is best.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You don't have to keep butter in the fridge once you have opened it, so I don't have a problem with it spreading. In winter a very quick zap in the microwave makes it spreadable. As I don't eat wheat or bread I don't do much spreading with it. I love mushrooms fried in butter - yum :D

C

chris lowe

I just buy either Tesco or Sainsbury's value butter. Butter is butter is butter. I cut mine into six slices and take out a slice each morning and put it in a ramekin dish to use through the day. For cooking I use Lurpack Garlic butter as life is too short to peel and crush garlic.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Chris .
What a 'GREAT' tip that is .... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I "will" be doing this as I find its too hard to spread when straight out of the fridge...
Have some cute little ramkin pots too just ideal to do this with one of them !
The rest of the pack can be safetly stored in my fridge for further use and avoids melted wastage.
Great and perfect idea and tip there - much appreciated!
Anna.

Defren

chris lowe said:
I just buy either Tesco or Sainsbury's value butter. Butter is butter is butter. I cut mine into six slices and take out a slice each morning and put it in a ramekin dish to use through the day. For cooking I use Lurpack Garlic butter as life is too short to peel and crush garlic.

Sainsbury's sell frozen garlic in little packs split into small cubes. I always have a good supply of those in the freezer, as you say, life is too short. My daughter uses them to make garlic mayo - really handy they are.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
chris lowe said:

I don't know Anchor has a taste all of it's own. The jars of Very Lazy Garlic found in most major supermarkets is rather nice if you don't like peeling and chopping garlic.

minitata

to make your own healthier spreadable butter, mix block butter with buttermilk. There is some carbohydrate in buttermilk but you need very little of it - and you know what it is mixed with.

C

chris lowe

I use the little cubes of crushed garlic as well, they also do chilli and ginger which are great for adding to a stir fry.