Mash Potato

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Has any body else tried Mr Mash, mash potato powder, it only has 12.9g of carbs per 100g so 100g pouch will make 4 servings that's only about 3.25g a serving. I had some tonight and it did not spike my BG 4.7mmol before dinner 2hrs after liver onions mushrooms, gravy and Mr Mash 5.4mmol. and you could make fritters out of it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
RoyG said:
Has any body else tried Mr Mash, mash potato powder, it only has 12.9g of carbs per 100g so 100g pouch will make 4 servings that's only about 3.25g a serving. I had some tonight and it did not spike my BG 4.7mmol before dinner 2hrs after liver onions mushrooms, gravy and Mr Mash 5.4mmol. and you could make fritters out of it.

That does sounds unbelievable, but what aabout the taste? Nice okay?? I have never faniced trying a wannabee powder :wink: mash potato, but your BS results are very good indeed. I had real mash potato tonight with veg saugases( but they didn't taste that good, so wont be getting them again :thumbdown: ) some beans abd onions and a yogurt .

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Here Is values, Taste great I made with bit of cream and butter.

Attachments

• Mr Mash.jpg
    Mr Mash.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,546

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Box Front, get it at Asda.

Attachments

• Mr Mash 1.jpg
    Mr Mash 1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,362

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Roy!

That is 100g made up weight, not 100g dry weight I think. It says 'as made up according to instructions'. Not sure what that does to your carb content?

Smidge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smidge said:
Hey Roy!

That is 100g made up weight, not 100g dry weight I think. It says 'as made up according to instructions'. Not sure what that does to your carb content?

Smidge

Thanks for that Roy, I do shopping for my elderly dad at Asda's, so I will have a look. Smidge, looking at the back of the packet it's nearly 20 carbs per serving, but that is still less than the 'real' mash I had tonight. I will definately give it a go :thumbup:

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
smidge said:
Hey Roy!

Smidge
It says add 350ml water and then 150ml of milk then sprinkle sachet contents in the mix, I just used water and some full cream and chunk of butter tasted good to me and a sin now and again cant hurt :D never done much to my BG. skins are scraped off and spuds cooked using steam, so I recon that takes a fair bit of starch out then desecrated and dried. Its something you could do corned beef hash with it or fritters to have with cooked breakfast.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Where would the extra 11g of carbs come from, the milk Lactose? would the cream not fix that.oh and the 100g sachet makes 4 servings.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Could make some decent fish cakes with that maybe.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hope it tastes a lot better than Smash, that stuff always made me gag and tasted nothing like real mashed potato :(

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
noblehead said:
Hope it tastes a lot better than Smash, that stuff always made me gag and tasted nothing like real mashed potato :(

I have never tried Smash ( I dont think so :? ) but I loved the advert on the TV :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Robinredbreast said:
I have never tried Smash ( I dont think so :? ) but I loved the advert on the TV :lol:

My mother once bought some when we were kids, my brothers and sisters like it but I nearly throw it back up in the sink, agree the Ads were brilliant and highly entertaining :D

WhitbyJet

Eeeek - but WHERE is the goodness in this product?? Its just potatoes processed to death, and chemicals added on top of it. I think the cardboard package it comes in is probably healthier than the gunge inside?!
You are better off eating a boiled new potato or two, tossed in butter and chopped herbs, parsley is nice.

Defren

I tend to agree Judith. I would prefer to go without than eat this kind of thing. It will be packed with chemicals to make it powder then 'mash'. No, not my idea of nice food - sorry!

jopar

whitbyjet

I'm on your side on this one...

I've not had dried mashed potato since the 70's when my mother brought it for out camping holiday, it was that disgusting the only way of making it palatable was adding Salad Cream into it! Ended up us doing a deal with mum, that we would sit and peel potatoes ourselves rather than face packet mash potato!

Me if I'm going to have mash potatoes for tea, not that often It's done with real butter, milk and a dash of cream, and if I'm doing a something like a shepherd pie, then I use a egg yolk....

A good way of thickening up sauces/casseroles if you don't want to use Bistol, without adding too much carbs, is cornflower!

minitata

My ex-mother-in-law used to make up Smash when her hubby & family were working on Saturday mornings and then borrow potato peelings from next door to put in the bin. Her hubby never twigged - but always said he hated Smash and would never allow them in the house. :lol: