Extreme tierdness and constipation

smitha

Hi - Been putting this question off for a few weeks now, but things are no better. Ive been low carbing for 6 weeks now, and feel things are going well (not had hba1c yet). However, I get extremley tiered in afternoons. ITs not so much that I yawn, I just feel totally zapped and drained of all energy. Is this a result of low carbs? ALso a little embarassing, but got to ask you..my bowel movements have been "poor" since low carbing. Any suggestions of foods that could help things get on the "move", that wont break my low carb diet?
Cheers
smitha

ChocFish

Hi smitha

I am wondering if you are eating enough protein at lunch time and that this could be the reason for feeling so tired in the afternoon? Dont go overboard on protein though, just try to have a little more at lunch time and then less in the evenings? Or snack on a few nuts and seeds an hour or so after lunch, before you feel so tired (is it roughly at the same time each day?)

As for constipation, nuts and seeds are rich in protein but also have fibre and contain good oils, they will help your bowels and make sure you eat tons of vegetables, and some fruit, depending on how low carb you want or rather need to be. Also remember that it is important to have plenty to drink

I hope this problem settles soon.

All the best

Karen

smitha

Thanks KAren. Ill give your advice a whirl. I know for sure that Im not eating enough veggies, so that could be half of my problem. I guess I dont eat a huge amount at lucnch, so maybe I should try to have more protein, or nuts as you suggest.
Thanks again
smitha

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
loathe cheese and yoghurt, spinach, rhubarb and apricots
I make up a little box of seeds, nuts and mixed fruit. The nuts are almonds, hazels and a couple of brazil. Macadamia when I can get them.

Reactions: Arsenal79

ChocFish

Oh smitha, if you make vegetable mash you might actually eat more vegetables than if you just have them all separately on your plate, I dont know why that is, but it could be because having mash is more comforting in some way and taste creamy as if you are not low carbing at all, just use very little water or steam the veg, I use a stick blender to puree them, any combinations you like add salt, pepper, cream, some herbs if you want, a pinch of nutmeg and butter, see if that helps?

Love

Karen x

jacquirs

Dislikes
being ill/not being in control
smitha sorry to hear about your problem

i am virtually no carbing but eating so much veg steamed or raw that i have the opp problem to you if any

i have a huge box of salad type stuff at lunch with raw veg, cold cuts and some cheese, today i had nuts later and dinner tonight was sausages and could barely see the plate for veg

i did have a treat today my HR and friend brought me a home made Atkins pud which is sugar free jelly crystals mixed with Philadephia and cream it is a mock cheesecake. i turned my nose up as i don't like the jelly in the pots but this was scrummy and a real treat. i'm not really a sweet toothed person but that was lovely

have a god luck on here there are lots of tips and nothing to be embarrassed about x