licence revoked by dvla

milliedog

Hello, this is my first time on this blog and the reason is I would like to ask people if they have had similar experiences to my son, he has had Type 1 diabetes since he was 12 and a driving licence since he was 18. No problems up until now when he came to renew his licence and has received aProvisional Licence for one year, he has not been able at this time to get a reason for this but he suspects that on the form he filled in with his GP he put that his awareness of hypos has gone down from about 4 to 3. Any views from anyone?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Understandable the DVLA have revoked his licence given that he isn't aware he is hypo until dropping to 3mmol, he would need to improve his hypo awareness symptoms and reapply to the DVLA with a covering letter from his gp/consultant explaining his hypo awareness has been restored.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi milliedog

I
i' ve been a type 1 diabetic since i was 13 yrs and i got my driving licience when i was 18yrs everything was great i just used to have to send it back every 3 yrs which was'nt a problem up and to 2 yrs ago, i sent my licience back and filled out the medical form and ticked a box by mistake saying i wanted to drive a van when i relised i rang DVLA and they said ok, but a week later they started asking for 3 months sugar readings as i also told them i have about 3-4 hypos a week. I sent the books and a week later was told that my licience has been revoked and the only way i could have a chance of getting it back was to go 3 months without a low sugar level (which for a type 1 is impossible) so i haven't bothered with it my husband drives anyway so i don't really miss it.

tracey167

milliedog

thank you noblehead, I suspected it could be something like that. His GP did put on the form next to this section that he had no concerns regarding his diabetes management, I guess he needs to consult his diabetic team and then we can go back and battle the DVLA.

Brightonian

I have been on 3 year licences since I started driving 30 years ago. My licence was due for renewal back in April 2011 & returned my "pre-new DVLA questionairre" in good time.

My diabetes hospital consultant did not complete his questionairre until September 2011! I had had ONE nocturnal hypo in which I bit my tongue but treated myself as soon as I was aware. I was advised by my DSN & Diabetes UK Advocacy that this hypo did not require reporting to the DVLA. However, my consultant ticked the box stating "more than one hypo". He also made comments re treatment which did not relate to my record at all (e.g. treated with Continuous Blood Glucose Monitoring System) - this was an obvious error.

So my licence was revoked at the begining of December 2011 & I am still trying to get this corrected. My employment is in danger; I have mobility issues & caring responsibilities & this has made my life very awkward. The DVLA is very cumbersome & do not assist the appeal process.

The UK is much too stringent in the implementation of EU directives.

Scoop4

If you are having problems getting to work while you are waiting for DVLA to sort them selves out contact your local DEA (disability employment advisor) at the job centre as there are things they can do to help you there is access to work. Give it a try

Brightonian

Thanks for the advice Scoop4, I was unaware of Disability Employment Advisors & will look them up (just in case).

I was reissued my normal 3 year licence back in March 2012 after chasing my hospital consultant, the Patient Liaison Service (PALS) at my hospital & the DVLA - i.e. 3 months to obtain a DVLA correction. I'm now waiting to see if there is any impact on my car insurance.

Whilst I was 'off the road' I took the DVLA's letter of revocation to my council & got a bus pass due to my disability. I also spoke to my employer's Occupational Health dept & got my employers to alter my working hours whilst having to use public transport to commute.

I remain disappointed the DVLA haven't relaxed their (or the EU's) rule re. nocturnal hypos

I have been Diabetic on insulin since 1984 and have held a full uk driving licence since i was 17 i'm now 45, recently my licence was up for renewal, but when my doctor filled in the medical form he put on it that i required medical attention on the 9th feb 12,therefore DVLA revoked it, later finds out by the doctor he entered someone elses details, and quickly wrote a letter to me & DVLA "that i was fit to drive and that my awareness is good" but still must wait for DVLA to issue licence told me could take upto 3 months

Scoop4

I have spent 18 months without my licence due to having two cases of third party assistance because of hypos at work. The stupid thing was I didn't need the third party assistance it was just my employer panicking and calling the paramedics for no reason they didn't trust me to bring up my sugars myself. Ignorance can be real trouble

NorthernRose

Hi,
This old chestnut again, eh?
DVLA seized my licence (I also have caring responsibilities) back in 2010 - allegedly for a head injury, supposedly for 6 months... it was 16 months later I finally got it back and had to use the FOI Act to find out who was to blame, and after much work got two written apologies from (NO - not the DVLA!) my GP and Consultant.
Both had mis-read the same 2 questions on the form, and ticked yes where the truthful answer was no. Again, it was down to the interpretation of 'severe' with regard to hypos. I took this up with the DVLA later and am glad to hear they seem to have taken notice! A solicitor friend had told me their previous forms were at best ambiguous and unlikely to stand up in a court of law!
However, during my trials I came across a woman who had also (unfairly) had her licence revoked. As a result she lost her job, which resulted in the house being repossessed, then her boyfriend left her... how long before (or has it already become a reality?) someone commits suicide?
These are people's lives the DVLA are playing with, and when it all boils down to a badly worded form and/or doctors, whose first language may not be English, it is a disgrace!
(Thorny) Rose

Shazzawest1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have had my license revoked in error by DVLA. I did not know until trying to change my address on my license, that it had been revoked two years ago on medical grounds.

I am a type 2 diabetic and controlled by metformin tablets NOT insulin dependant.

I was prescribed insulin temporarily whilst in hospital for a month with septicaemia - this was only ever intended to be temporary whilst my body was being attacked by infection.

DVLA were informed of the temporary nature and were given consent to contact my doctor but never did.

They claim they sent two letters to me, one a form to complete and one telling me my license had been revoked on medical grounds. I never received anything, nor did I ever expect to.

I've been driving without a license for two years without knowing

How can I get the error reversed?