The New Bread Nirvanha!!

Grazer

Well, it is for me anyway. The holy grail for lots of us is "proper bread". Most of us eat Burgen because of the low carbs and GI, although the taste and texture isn't perhaps quite the same as "real" bread.
But I've just found a new bread in Sainsburys.
It's Sainsburys own "Taste the difference soft multiseed wholemeal farmhouse batch", with sunflower, linseed, millet and poppy seeds. It's "Normal" texture really tasty bread, and the carb figures stack up.
Burgen is 27.3 grams carbs per 100, 12 per slice compared with most breads at 40 per 100 and 18 per slice. This new bread is 30.7 per 100 and 14.4 per slice
So a BIT more than burgen, but a lot less than normal. I had a sarnie yesterday, tested, got the same results as with Burgen. So worth a go I'd say.

desidiabulum

Do sheep accept knighthoods? I'm going to buy some of this tomorrow, and if it's OK then I will put you down for the next honours list (even if you did misspell 'nirvana'). :D

Grazer

desidiabulum said:
Do sheep accept knighthoods? I'm going to buy some of this tomorrow, and if it's OK then I will put you down for the next honours list (even if you did misspell 'nirvana'). :D

Didn't you know? Posh Londoners (where I was dragged up) always put a silent "H" in Nirvan(h)a! :lol:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Grazer said:
desidiabulum said:

Didn't you know? Posh Londoners (where I was dragged up) always put a silent "H" in Nirvan(h)a! :lol:

Not sure if I will try it, only because I very rarely go to Sainsburys, but I do eat Burgen bread.

Didn't you know? Posh Londoners (where I was dragged up) always put a silent "H" in Nirvan(h)a! :lol:[/quote]
saying that, I lived in Brixtonh and came here from Tottenhamh :lol:

Grazer

Robinredbreast said:
Not sure if I will try it, only because I very rarely go to Sainsburys, but I do eat Burgen bread.

I do eat burgen myself, and it's "OK", but I always feel it's a compromise on "real" bread, whereas this is real bread. If you try it and get on OK with it, you could always go back, stock up, and bung some in the freezer.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Thanks Malc! I still occasionally eat a slice of Burgen soya and linseed and I agree-It's OK but it's not the same but all other breads appeared to be around the 19-20 grams of carbs per slice so this sounds promising as I do fancy a treat of a nice bacon and runny fried egg sarnie with HP sauce! :thumbup:

SouthernGeneral6512

How big is the loaf and slices? One of the good things with Burgen is it's quite small and with your average toaster taking 2 slices that means you eat less of it

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
SouthernGeneral6512 said:
How big is the loaf and slices? One of the good things with Burgen is it's quite small and with your average toaster taking 2 slices that means you eat less of it

I have only just tried Burgen and its a good dense bread, low in GI which is all good, a small Burgen loaf, 400g, typical values Carbohydrate is 9.0 per slice. So Wednesday morning I treated my self to 2 slices, 18carbs, with a thin spread of marmalade as a treat :) I love food with grains and seeds in it. I used to eat Sunflower and Pumpkin seed bread, but its higher in carbs per slice. Even some of the small wholemeal breads has higher carbs, and I do like wholemeal bread as well, in fact I love most breads, Burgen bread = :thumbup:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Certainly a good variety of seeds to lower the gi value, it's not that much higher in carbs than Burgen so I'll give it a go next time I'm in Sainsburys.

Grazer

Just a note robinredbreast - I've had loads of burgen, still have it in the freezer, and it's 12 grams carbs a slice not 9, so two slices is 24. This isn't much more at 14 grams a slice, but you seem to get "more for your carbs per slice" with this one.

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Paul1976 said:
Thanks Malc! I still occasionally eat a slice of Burgen soya and linseed and I agree-It's OK but it's not the same but all other breads appeared to be around the 19-20 grams of carbs per slice so this sounds promising as I do fancy a treat of a nice bacon and runny fried egg sarnie with HP sauce! :thumbup:

Oh my goodness - just had grilled chicken, greek salad and marinated peppers! I would kill for a bacon, runny egg and HP Sauce sarnie..... but no carbs and calories left for today!

But this bread Grazer mentioned sounds promising :thumbup: , maybe I should pop to Sainsbury's and get a loaf ready for brekkups. I do have Hovis small loaf slices as two of those is under 20 grams of carb for the two slices but they are a fair bit smaller....

I am off to dream of HP sauce....

Claire x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grazer said:
Just a note robinredbreast - I've had loads of burgen, still have it in the freezer, and it's 12 grams carbs a slice not 9, so two slices is 24. This isn't much more at 14 grams a slice, but you seem to get "more for your carbs per slice" with this one.

Hi there, just a note Grazer, I wrote exactly as it it written on the bread wrapper of a 400g loaf. Carbs 9.0 g as I wrote earlier, I had the bread to hand, so its not come off of the internet or me guessing or anything else. Unless its a different brand or a different size that you have, maybe :eh:

Grazer

Must be a smaller slice loaf. Mine's from the wrapper too! And most people who quote it always say 12. Not seen a 9 gram slice before.
Just checked - the normal sized burgen is 800 grams for the loaf, so you've found a small one. Not seen them before

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grazer said:
Must be a smaller slice loaf. Mine's from the wrapper too! And most people who quote it always say 12. Not seen a 9 gram slice before.
Just checked - the normal sized burgen is 800 grams for the loaf, so you've found a small one. Not seen them before

I know I have a dodgy eye, but I made sure I looked carefully and even got my daughter to check as well. I bought my 400g, 9,0 carbs per slice, Burgen loaf, from Morrisons. Small, but perfectly formed :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I get good results from Tesco Finest Multigrain. I usually by a sliced small one and stick it in the freezer - take it out slice by slice and defrost in the microwave.

Don't know how many carbs per slice 'cos don't have one in at the moment, but it doesn't affect my BGs, even in a sandwich. I eat it very rarely, though - the only time I have a sandwich is if I'm out on site all day, so I'm doing more exercise than usual as well.

One exception - I sometimes have a bacon sandwich at home. Fry the bacon, butter the bread - the fat takes care of any potential BG spike from the carbs! :lol:

Viv 8)