Artichoke

Averts eyes froom yet more imitation carb recipes..

Lamb, asparagus, Greek basil and strawberry salad.

Put a drizzle of walnut oil in bowl. Debone and dice 1 lamb loin chop per person, a few cold speard of asparagus, a handful of sliced strawberries, some baby salad leaves and Greek basil. Fold to coat with oil.

Defren

Sugar-Free Chocolate Mousse - Low Carb Recipe

Sugar-free low carb chocolate mousse is rich and creamy with less than 4 net carbs per serving. The slight bit of gelatin helps stablize the mousse so you can make it in advance. Fast and easy to prepare.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:

1 tsp unflavored gelatin
1 Tbsp cold water
2 Tbsp boiling water
1 cup Splenda
1/2 cup unsweetened powdered cocoa (Ghiradelli preferred)
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
Optional topping: whipped cream lightly sweetened with Splenda
Light dusting of unsweetened cocoa powder

Preparation:
Chill a medium mixing bowl in the refrigerator.

Meanwhile, place the cold water in a small bowl. Sprinkle with gelatin and let stand 1 minute. Add boiling water and stir until gelatin is dissolved. Set aside.

In the chilled bowl, combine Splenda, cocoa powder, salt, whipping cream and vanilla until roughly mixed. With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat mixture until it becomes stiff. Do not over-beat or you will end up with chocolate butter. Beat in the gelatin mixture just until combined.

Spoon chocolate mousse into decorative dessert dishes or martini glasses. Chill 1 to 2 hours before serving. Top with whipped cream lightly sweetened with Splenda and a sprinkling of cocoa powder if desired.

May be made a day in advance.

Yield: 4 (1/2 cup) servings with less than 4 net carbs per serving

http://homecooking.about.com/od/dessert ... des187.htm

dawnb64

People may already have this recipe, it's from a Dairy Cookery book I've used for many years. It's easy to prepare and relatively cheap. Cooked it last night and served with a plate full of veg for me and added rice for everyone else.

I think it works out at about 5g carb.

CHICKEN THIGHS IN SPICE TOMOTO SAUCE
Serves 4
8 chicken thighs (I buy them skinned and boned and halve them to make cooking easier)
1 onion
tin chopped tomatoes
1tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp (adjust to suit) chilli flakes or powder
oil (I use about 1tbsp olive oil)

chop onion and fry gently until softening

add spices and stir to coat

and chicken and fry gently until just brown

add tomatoes and stir well. Bring to the boil, stir, cover and turn down to a simmer.

Cook for about 40 minutes stirring occasionally.

Enjoy!!!

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi Defren do you happen to know where to buy this particular make of unsweetened cocoa powder?, thanks

wendle

dawn, that sounds lovely. i love chicken and tomatoes so i reckon ill be trying ur recipe soon. just need to write it down along with the other recipes iv pinched from here.

WhitbyJet

Perfect Picnic Loaf

This is truly delicious and was enjoyed by all over the weekend, I added fresh garlic and herbs

Tim's Breakfast Slice

This great hearty meatloaf and breakfast slice variation from member Timturtle won the members' recipe competiton for the May-July 2011 period. This is a versatile recipe so use your own proportions of the ingredients, or vary the ingredients to your own taste.

Tim's Meatloaf

Ingredients
1 tray of Heller's Nuremberg Sausages – about 400g
400gms lamb mince
1 egg
½ small onion - diced
Dried herbs of choice
Salt and pepper

Method
Preheat oven to 190C.
Remove skins from uncooked sausages (easiest way is cut the skin down the middle length ways and run under cold water).
Mix all ingredients together and press into a loaf tin.
Cover with tin foil and cook for 30 minutes, remove foil and continue cooking for a further 40 mins or until done.

Tim's Breakfast Slice

Ingredients

1 tray of Heller's Nuremberg Sausages – about 400g
400gms lamb mince
1 egg
3 hard boiled eggs, shelled
½ small onion - diced
Salt and pepper
Dried parsley
Mixed herbs
Curry powder
Garlic Pepper
1/2 cup cheese cubes
Salami - cut a round chunk then cut into cubes

Method
Preheat oven to 190C.
Prepare meatloaf as recipe above and mix in all dried ingredients with wet hands.
Place a layer of 1/3 of the meatloaf in a loaf tin and lay the 3 eggs on top.
Add 1/3 more meatloaf mixture, packing around the eggs.
Add salami and cheese in the next layer and top with the remaining 1/3 of the meatloaf mix.
Cover with tin foil and cook for 30 minuntes, remove foil and continue cooking for a further 40 mins or until done.
Once cooked cover with the foil you used earlier and weigh down with filled tin cans. Let go cold before slicing.

Notes:
Enjoy a thick slice for breakfast, a chunk as a snack, or would be good for a picnic or potluck dinner with a salad. A sister to the extremely popular breakfast slab!
The carb count for this will vary depending on what you choose to add but as a starting point the 400gm pack of Heller's Nuremburg sausages is only 1.2 carbs total, allow 3 carbs for half a small onion. You salami will depend on the brand and amount you choose to use.

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/index.p ... &Itemid=67

Defren

Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice-Cream Bites

This recipe is surprisingly low in carbs and pretty easy to make. I started with my Chocolate Peanut Butter Ball Recipe. Then I made a very simple low carb version of vanilla ice cream. This is a perfect alternative to it's carb laden counterpart. Hope you enjoy!

INGREDIENTS

***For the Chocolate Outside***
4 oz. Cream Cheese
8 oz. Chocolate Atkins Shake (or any brand low carb chocolate shake) Find Atkins Shakes - Atkins Nutritionals Ready-to-Drink Shakes
1 Package Sugar Free Chocolate Pudding
4 Tbs. Chunky Peanut Butter
***For the "Ice Cream"***
1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
3 Tbs. Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup - Find SF Syrups Here - Torani Sugar Free Syrup

DIRECTIONS

Mix cream cheese and Atkins shake in a large mixing bowl with a mixer on low speed until cream cheese is well blended and there are no chunks left. Add the packet of sugar free pudding and the peanut butter. Mix until well blended. It will become very thick. Line a baking sheet with wax paper and use a rubber spatula to spread the mixture into a thin layer covering the baking sheet. Place baking sheet in the freezer for about 30-40 minutes. Check on it after 20 minutes to make sure that it is not all the way hardened. You want it to be almost solid but still pliable so that you can form it around the ice cream.

While the chocolate is in the freezer, mix the heavy cream and the SF vanilla with a hand mixer on high until it is nice and thick. Then drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto wax paper or fill ice cube trays. ***Ice cube trays will make them more uniform in size but they are rather hard to get out of the trays in one piece*** I recommend dropping spoonfuls onto wax paper. Place them in the freezer until they are solid.

Pull the chocolate out of the freezer and cut into even squares based of the number of ice cream spoonfuls you have. I was able to make this into a batch of 20. Wrap each piece of ice cream in chocolate and put back in the freezer. Enjoy!!

If made into a batch of 20 - 2.5 net grams of carbs each

I just used regular chunky peanut butter. Using a low carb/ sugar-free peanut butter will substantially reduce the carb count

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi WhitbyJet, just looked at your recipe for Raspberry Mousse Tart with Chocolate Crust. My question is do you think that it will freeze or else I will eat the lot!, thanks, Deb

Angela(NZ)

Dislikes
liars
This is very very yummy (and easy to make), made some this morning, and it wont last long! :D

CHOCOLATE FUDGE

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup of cream - think in the uk you call it double cream?
125 cream cheese - full fat
4 tablespoons splenda
2 or 3 tablespoons of cocoa
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence

in a small saucepan over a low heat melt butter, add cream and cream cheese, whisk until smooth, add splenda,(taste as may need more), heat till bubbling - stir constantly.
Reduce heat, stir in cocoa and vanilla - mix well, pour into a small buttered dish, set in fridge for 4 to 4 hours.

WhitbyJet

Sorry diadeb, I have only just seen your post. I have never tried to freeze this cake, I would have thought that freezing and thawing would make it all go very mushy, so no, I dont recommend it. But if you can control yourself it keeps in the fridge for a week and it really is delicious!!

WhitbyJet

Fabulous Fish

Almond Cod with parmesan cheese and pesto

cod fillets
salt & pepper
a little lemon juice
some pesto
fresh grated parmesan
almond flakes
melted butter _______________________________________________________________________________
Grease a casserole dish with a little butter.
Rub the cod fillets with salt, pepper and pesto. Place them into the casserole dish, drizzle with leomon juice.
Sprinkle over the Parmesan cheese and top flaked almonds, drizzle with melted butter.
Bake in the oven at 200 degrees for approx. 15-20 minutes.

Photo: http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2011 ... pesto.html

Serve with a tomato and oregano salad and a good dollop of creme fraiche

Tomato and Oregano Salad
This salad tastes of summer! Use good flavoured, ripe tomatoes.
If you store your tomatoes in the refrigerator you must remove them in good time before eating, they taste best when eaten at room temperature.
spring onions - cut into thin slices
1/4 tablespoon Sukrin / sweetener
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
3 tomatoes
sea ​​salt & freshly ground pepper
a pot oregano
extra virgin olive oil _____________________________________________________________________________
Mix the onion and Sukrin/sweetener and leave to stand for half an hour. Add the vinegar.
Cut the tomatoes into eight and stir them into the onions. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Shortly before serving add oregano leaves and drizzle with olive oil.
Serve as an accompaniment to meat, fish or chicken.
You can use frsh basil or parsley instead of oregano as variation.
http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2011 ... oslat.html

==============================================================
Cod with Cauliflower mash and Chorizosalsa

My 8 year old absolutely adores this dish

For four people
cauliflower mash
600-800 g cod fillets
100ml olive oil
lemon juice
sea salt & freshly ground pepper
3 to 4 tablespoons pine nuts or pumpkin seeds
150 g chorizo ​​into small pieces
2 shallots - finely chopped
1 to 2 fat cloves garlic - finely chopped
1/4 chilli deseeded - finely chopped
3 sun-dried tomatoes - finely chopped
lemon
fresh thyme
Toast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan, and set aside. Place 100ml of olive oil in a skillet, add chorizo ​​and simmer a few minutes. Add the shallots, garlic, chilli and sun dried tomatoes and simmer on a low heat for a few minutes while you place the cauli mash and fish fillets on 4 plates.
Mix the pine nuts and fresh thyme into chorizo salsa, and season to taste with a little lemon juice. Pour salsa over the fish and garnish with a little extra fresh thyme. Enjoy!
Photo: http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2011 ... salsa.html

Serve with a colourful salad on the side, glaass of white wine (not for the 8 yr old) - perfect

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Many thanks WJ, I was just thinking that you can buy frozen cheescakes and thought that maybe the Raspberry Mousse Tart would be like that but never mind I will make it and make it last, Deb x

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Almond flour pancakes,
After selling the family silver to buy 400g of almonds, I set about making some almond floor, then pancakes.
1 cup of almond floor
2 eggs
1/4 cup of water
1 tbs olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tbs splender
1/2 cap vanilla essence
10g of vanilla whey powder.
Mix all the above using a whisk in a bowl.
Lightly oil your pancake pan and off you go the mixture above has been modified slightly from one I got hence a few grams more protein and some more calories. But they hit the sweet spot and I thought tasted delicious and filling. Mine has one piece of 85% Dark chocolate and double cream on.

Each pancake has 1.3 gram effective carbohydrate, plus 2 grams of fiber, 10 grams of protein, and 180 calories.

Attachments

• Almond Pancake.jpg
    Almond Pancake.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 2,308

SweetHeart

Flax Seed Bread

Ingredients;

1½ cups of milled flaxseed
½ cup malted brown/wholegrain/spelt flour
OR
2 cups of milled flax seeds
5 eggs, beaten
½ cup water
⅓ cup melted butter or olive oil
½ cup mixed seeds
1½ Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caraway or fennel seeds (optional)

Method

Beat all of the wet ingredients together until eggs are well beaten. Mixed all the dry ingredients together and add the wet ingredients to them. Place the mix into a greased or lined nonstick bread tin and bake at gas mark 6, 200c, 400f for 50 - 55 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Made without the flour, a twelve slice loaf has less than 2g carb. Made with the flour it'a about 4g per slice. It can be sliced into even thinner slices which would be fewer carbs.

Spiral

roast butternut squash - chopped and drizzled in olive oil. This is very nice with cubed Brie and fresh chopped sage in a fritatta.

roast vegetables - peppers, aubergine, mushroom, courgette, red onion and a few cherry toms (if you can handle them!) Drizzle with olive oil and slice up some garlic and add a few fresh herbs. Roast and occasionally turn everything over. Sprinkle with feta cheese or sliced haloumi towards the end of cooking, until it browns.

Sauteed leeks until the begin to look transparent, mix with a little sour creme or creme fraiche and strong grated cheddar. Over the top sprinkle some chopped, roast hazelnuts, a pinch of dried mixed herbs and low carb breadcrumbs (this was the only way I eventually managed to finish the low carb flax load I'd made, not for me!) stick it in the oven for about 30 minutes, it should bubble and brown. Serve it up with a salad or some steamed savoy cabbage

Spiral

Shredded cabbage or Brussels sprouts, stir fried with a little leek and flaked almonds.

Broccoli with a sprinkling of lightly toasted pine nuts and melted dolcalette cheese

roast Portabella mushrooms with grilled haloumi cheese on a bed of dark green leaves

asparagus with butter and lemon

mashed sweed with pepper and sour cream

Spiral

Cheese sauce variations...

mix cream and the cheese of your choice, mix in an egg (it will set if you add egg) and have it with some of that cauli

melt dolcalette cheese in to the juice of a lemon, lovely over broccoli

sprinkle grated cheese in to stews at end of cooking

gently fry some onion or mushroom and add some cream, add the cheese of your choice and let it melt then pour over whatever you are eating

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Everyone, I have recently purchased some Shirataki noodles to try. Has anyone got any low carb recipes to go with them please?, thanks, Deb x

Reactions: 2 people

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
diadeb said:
Hi Everyone, I have recently purchased some Shirataki noodles to try. Has anyone got any low carb recipes to go with them please?, thanks, Deb x

Deb I dont know if you have used them yet but I tried them recently and from an eating point of view they were ok :thumbup: , a bit different to pasta but I mixed mine in with home made bolognese and put lots of parmesan on and they were fine - you get used to the texture and oddly they dont taste of anything much, so I will use them again. BUT mine arrived in a sealed plastic bag in a solution of some kind and when I opened the bag and put them in the collander to rinse the stench made me heave! :crazy: i almost binned them (glad I didnt) Hubby has said he will wash them for me next time as it really is quite awful until they are washed. Just hoping I have caught you so you can take precautions before you get stuck in there.....

Claire x