Eating Out - Indian Food

mrawfell

Diabetes is not catching, not self inflicted, just one of those things, just as say appendicitis is. So when you are invited out to a "posh Thai restaurant" just tell your host, why and that you need a low carbohydrate meal. End of fear.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok I just ordered an Indian take out for the first time since I had diabetes, I have gone for.

Sheek Kabeb
Lamb Methi
Bhindi Bhaji
Mushroom Bhaji
And a small Chapati

Swallowed down with some nice Red Wine.

Will let you kow what happens.

Reactions: 4 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Grazer said:
Told ya! Who needs special diets and medication when you have Merlot and Rioja! Only joking kids, don't try this at home.......

Yes, it's a shame, but these days when we go for an Indian, I always have to say 'I can't drive, I need to drink wine to keep my BG under control.' :oops: :lol:

Smidge

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
smidge said:
Grazer said:
Told ya! Who needs special diets and medication when you have Merlot and Rioja! Only joking kids, don't try this at home.......

Yes, it's a shame, but these days when we go for an Indian, I always have to say 'I can't drive, I need to drink wine to keep my BG under control.' :oops: :lol:

Smidge
I like the sound of that!! I'll have to remember that!! :lol: :lol:

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Right it's been 2 and a half hours since indian. Before it was 7.0 and now it is 7.1, so that's flipping great.

Though 7.0 was a little high for me to start with, I think that was the crispy onions I had on my salad for lunch, I normally have salad but this is the first time I have had these on it and my numbers have usually been between 5.9 and 6.6.

But a level of 0.1 after 2.5 hours is bloody great.

I had a glass of red, then after I had sugar free jelly and double cream which I really believe helps keep it in control and a black americano coffee afterward, which again I think helps as my levels have been quite consistent since I started have a few coffees.

millie_uk

it is my birthday today so I decided to go for an Indian meal tonight. I was diagnosed on May 10th and I am on diet only until mid August.
I was getting after food readings well up in the high teens but have been managing to keep all readings into single figures for a few weeks now.
First thing in the morning is around 7 - 7.9 but then goes up to around 8.3 after I get up.

So, before the Indian meal my reading was 7.3.
I had a mixed kebab starter of a little lamb tikka, chicken tikka and shish kebab, some yogurt sauce and salad. I only ate about an eighth of the onion bhaji!
For the main course I had tandoori chicken, cauliflower bhaji, spinach, 2 heaped spoons of garlic and onion basmatti rice, a half a chapati and some curry sauce which seemed rather sweet, thick and coconut tasting!!

After one hour my reading was 8.3, after 2 hours 8.5, after 3 hours 8.6
These figures are good for me because I am not on any medication yet, should get Metformin in August.
I'm happy I am not going into double figures anymore (long may this keep up) and it was great that I could have as near to a normal birthday dinner as I used to have. Ok, I had no naan (but enjoyed the half a chapati) and only a little rice but actually had more variety because I chose the cauliflower and spinach, something I would never have thought of before. I was totally filled up after my meal and I did have 3 decent glasses of red wine, probably had something to do with keeping the figures down.
I used to have a couple of pints of lager with an Indian but now stick to the red wine.

I was happy because being diabetic didn't spoil my birthday, quite the opposite, I had a great time.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy Birthday Millie!

Glad you enjoyed your meal and kept your BG respectable!

Smidge

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I made a beef Masala tonight with Basmati rice 4 table spoons of rice and BG was at 5.6, 2 hrs after. will have to make some onion Barjee's next time for starter, 3 hours slaving away at the cooker, god them Chillies hurt when you rub your eyes, I always forget about that. followed by strawberry mousse tart with almond flour crumble base and lashings of double cream, Delicious.  

Reactions: 2 people
A

Anonymous

Grazer said:
The real key of course is a few glasses of red wine to help control the carbs! AND it's nice!

:shock:

Really? Does red wine actually have that effect?

Grazer

ursus262 said:
Grazer said:
The real key of course is a few glasses of red wine to help control the carbs! AND it's nice!

:shock:

Really? Does red wine actually have that effect?

Yes, but not an excuse to get plastered every night! As I explained on another thread, the liver works on a priority basis, and can't process carbohydrates in to glucose efficiently if it has to deal with a toxin. It sees alcohol as a toxin, so the rise we would normally see as a result of eating carbs doesn't occur. As we're still expending energy however, our blood glucose level actually falls. Diabetics on insulin therefore have to be careful on alcohol as it can lead to Hypos. I know most type 1s either reduce or leave out their insulin shot if they've drunk a lot.
My attitude is that I don't drink to control BGs, but if I'm having a drink (which happens reasonably regularly!) I might as well take advantage and have some of the carbs I'd normally avoid. Some people report raised BGs the next day, but I never see that.
Be warned though; it has been shown that continual fairly heavy drinking can increase insulin resistance. So it's a case of moderation as usual!

Reactions: 2 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys!

When cooking curry at home, I replace rice with pillau cauliflower 'rice'

For one serving:

125g cauliflower (processed in food processor until consistency of cous-cous)
30g onion (sliced)
3 white mushrooms (sliced)
3 cardamom pods (crushed)
3 cloves
Small pinch saffron steeped in 1 Tbs boiling water
Knob of butter
Pepper to taste
Handful dry-fried flaked almonds
Corriander (optional for serving)
Sour cream (optional for serving)

1. Put processed cauliflower in microwaveable bowl with lid and cook for 2 mins 45 seconds at 1000 watts (or adjust for your microwave). Do NOT add water.
2. Melt butter in frying pan and fry cardamom and cloves until sizzling.
3. Add onion and fry for 2 minutes
4. Add mushrooms and fry for 3 minutes
5. Add cauliflower and fry for 1 minute
6. Add saffron and steeping water. Mix thoroughly. Add fresh ground pepper to taste. Stir and spoon onto plate.
7. Scatter over dry -fried almonds and serve with chopped corriander (optional) and sour cream (optional)

If you can't afford saffron, you could use a quarter teaspoon turmeric instead - it would give the colour but not the flavour. Turmeric can be quite bitter, so don't use too much.

Much lower in carbs than rice and at least makes you feel like you have something to go with your curry!

Smidge

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
smidge said:
Hey guys!

When cooking curry at home, I replace rice with pillau cauliflower 'rice'

For one serving:

125g cauliflower (processed in food processor until consistency of cous-cous)
30g onion (sliced)
3 white mushrooms (sliced)
3 cardamom pods (crushed)
3 cloves
Small pinch saffron steeped in 1 Tbs boiling water
Knob of butter
Pepper to taste
Handful dry-fried flaked almonds
Corriander (optional for serving)
Sour cream (optional for serving)

1. Put processed cauliflower in microwaveable bowl with lid and cook for 2 mins 45 seconds at 1000 watts (or adjust for your microwave). Do NOT add water.
2. Melt butter in frying pan and fry cardamom and cloves until sizzling.
3. Add onion and fry for 2 minutes
4. Add mushrooms and fry for 3 minutes
5. Add cauliflower and fry for 1 minute
6. Add saffron and steeping water. Mix thoroughly. Add fresh ground pepper to taste. Stir and spoon onto plate.
7. Scatter over dry -fried almonds and serve with chopped corriander (optional) and sour cream (optional)

If you can't afford saffron, you could use a quarter teaspoon turmeric instead - it would give the colour but not the flavour. Turmeric can be quite bitter, so don't use too much.

Much lower in carbs than rice and at least makes you feel like you have something to go with your curry!

Smidge

:D Thats almost the same as a Slimmingworld recipe.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
BioHaZarD said:

Hey, I always thought Slimmingworld was high carb low fat! Maybe they've been sneaking on and pinching our low-carb recipes :lol:

Smidge

onsite48

Hi all,
I make my curry from scratch and they have little effect on my blood sugars. I think the secret is to use only natural ingredients with heaps of fresh chillis

C

chris lowe

When I go for an indian I usually order either chicken or lamb shashlic which is basically chicken or lamb on skewers with onion peppers and tomatoes. The meat is marinated in tandoori spices. They normally serve them with salad but I pinch a couple of tablespoons of rice from whoever I'm with.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
smidge said:
BioHaZarD said:

Hey, I always thought Slimmingworld was high carb low fat! Maybe they've been sneaking on and pinching our low-carb recipes :lol:

Smidge

It is, you can eat as much pasta, potatoes and rice as you can fit in your stomach. But some of there dished which are not rice potatoes and pasta are quite ok, as the other side of the SW is low sugar and low fat, so the low sugar side fits within the curry almost (I did say almost like) they have a recipe for this.

They apparently have diabetic people on this, but cannot see how it's working as some I spoke to have lost weight and there levels are ok. A little confused.