Colds

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
This is the second time I've had a cold since diagnosis and starting insulin. I used to be able to cope normally but now it really knocks me out. Is this because my Diabetes is still in the early stages and therefore my immune system is still being weird? I also had terrible leg cramp at during my sleep despite drinking loads of water.

jgibson1962

I wouldn't worry about it. I've just had a stinker of a cold, but a few of my colleagues were in a worst state than me and they are younger and don't have diabetes. Maybe you are a bit stressed out, that doesn't help and screws up your immune system.

Sanober

Dislikes
Thanks,

I was certainly stressed when around 6am my right calf went into excruciating cramp and I was screaming in pain (the same happened to the left calf two mornings ago). My glucose range has been fine and this is the first time I've been cramping since pre-insulin.

The real reason I'm baffled by how my brain can barely function, I've had to take time off work this time and for the cold I had in May this year, I've never ever had to do that before.

Also my sugar level this morning was 6.1 when I properly got out of bed, went to the loo, back to sleep and I woke up sweating 2 hours later at 4.5. My bed time read was 6.7 and I my basal level is set correct and always tides me over enough for me to skip at least 1 meal.

I thought with illness glucose went up (which it usually does for me) and in the mornings certainly I do get dawn phenomenon - I didn't have alcohol last night as I was on the tea.

I think this is another one of those 'it just happens' situations that we Diabetics will always have in our lives. :yawn:

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Sanober!

I know exactly what you mean about the cold. I had one back in February and could hardly get out of bed for three days. My BG was all over the place and it seemed my insulin wasn't working. I ended up with a bladder infection on top of the cold and just couldn't shake it off. I was off work for a week and it probably should have been longer! I felt such a fraud taking a week off with a cold! When anyone sneezes now, I run the other way :lol:

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Smidge

Sanober

Dislikes
Thanks, I was going to PM you on this one today actually, spooky.

Funnily enough I've also have a mild bladder infection which am on antibiotics too, tomorrow's the last day of taking them.

I know, I feel like a fraud but thankfully my work colleagues know that in the four years we've worked together I'm always here, and I've worked later/started earlier and worked through lunches, on many many occasions, and covered their late shifts etc, I've had a few colds over the years and I was able to soldier on but not this year. My team have been great and even sorted out my late cover shift for today, just in case I wasn't going to be in. I am incidentally back at work and ok! I recently started training for the 10k in Sept here in Glasgow so looking forward to a (very) light jog tonight.

Bishop

Sanober said:
I was certainly stressed when around 6am my right calf went into excruciating cramp and I was screaming in pain (the same happened to the left calf two mornings ago). My glucose range has been fine and this is the first time I've been cramping since pre-insulin.
Hi There,

I have had that problem with the calf just before I was diagnosed. I think I know for where this is coming from. When you have high BS levels you urinate a lot. When you do it you waste a lot of K together with all the other stuff. So probably if you are just after an high BS episode you could have a lack of K. It helps if you drink tomatoes juce (it has a lot of K) or bananas. But you can eat to much bananas :) it's too sweet.
Good luck!