Sugar substitutes

Rhiannonalan

What do people feel about the various sweeteners available. Do most people stick with sucralose or are there other favourites? Does anyone use the sugar alcohols (think that's what they're called)? Am I right in thinking sucralose is the best for baking?

Grazer

Sucralose withstands high temperatures; Splenda is sucralose. Canderel yellow is also designed for baking.

volorg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dessicated coconut
Hi I use Stevia for non baking use. I have given up trying to use sweeteners for baking as i found them all to have an aftertaste. I do sugar free baking sometimes, such as apple pie just using eating apples and cinnamon instead of cooking apples and sugar. Otherwise I bake only for special occasions for other people! (I am one of those people who can't have sweet food in the house cos I just eat it all!)

WhitbyJet

Rhiannonalan said:
What do people feel about the various sweeteners available. Do most people stick with sucralose or are there other favourites? Does anyone use the sugar alcohols (think that's what they're called)? Am I right in thinking sucralose is the best for baking?

Most of my baking is done with ZSweet/eryhtritol, ro desserts and drinks I use Splenda.

dlmoak

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I heard a podcast recently on Jimmy Moore's site dealing specifically with sweeteners. It was said that the only really safe sugar substitute was Stevia, but that even then one must read the label and make sure that there are not other indesireable elements included. I went to two different stores and only found one that looked OK - SweetLeaf. I tried it in some plain Greek yougurt last night and it tasted fine. I can't post links yet, but the interview was called "The Truth about Sweeteners" and the interviewee was Dr. David Getoff.