Doctors letter rip off

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Ludicrous.

My DN at the local hospital at the Diabetes Clinic wrote it and posted it to me ALL for free for all the use it was anyway. In fact I could have reproduced this letter at home on the computer...so there's an idea for you.

I've been back from Portugal a week, never had to show this letter. Once I passed check in and security, a boarding staff asked me to put my bright blue Polar Gear cool bag into my hand luggage (1 bag only rule with this particular airline)

I couldn't be bothered shoving it in so I just said I can't it's my insulin :lol: her reaction was priceless and she left me alone.

Give my love to Portugal, where are you going? I was in Ohlos D'Agua (about 60mins drive from Faro westward bound, and it's before Albufeira).

Alliballi

Doctor wrote mine years ago in 2000, and was not charged...I still take the same letter with me on every holiday.. :D

I always make sure I tell staff as I go through any check at the airport that I am carrying needles and insulin due to being a diabetic and always have letter ready in and to show them..But nobody ever wants to see it, and I never get stopped when going through the bag ex-ray machine...Which I am always surprised about. :shock:

If I did get stopped and the date queried I would say that nothing has changed since the letter was written as I'll always be a diabetic and need to carry needles! How does the law stand on this I wonder???

MedicalMan

Just ask the local Hospital Diabetic Clinic it si supplied freed of charge.

I must admit diabetics I know in my area Sussex have never been charged.

Alliballi

jgibson1962 said:
Van1946 said:
Have you asked for the diabetic passport which is now out and has all your infor you just show it at the airport with your passport and no problems

Interesting, no I haven't heard of that, do you have any information please. :)

Do you mean the Insulin users id card which is credit card size?? I have this and it states on one side
"If I am found ill, please give me some form of sugar such as fruit juice, chocolate, fizzy drinks or glucose"
"If I fail to recover after 10 minutes, please call medical help"
"If I am unconscious DO NOT give me anything by mouth"

On the other side it says in 5 different languages "I have diabetes treated with insulin"

You have to get your doctor to sign the card, and add their phone number...I have had mine a few years and got it from Diabetes UK, I think it cost me £5...
Found a link for you, the format may have changed.....I may need a new one too :)
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/OnlineShop/Information-about-diabetes/livingwithdiabetes/Diabetes-identity-cards/Insulin-users-identity-card/

Fides

Well not quite the same thing, but while in Cleethorpes I had to pay £15 for my GP to stamp and sign my lighter life diet form.

You would think going on a low calories diet, would be eagerly encouraged by GP...

rogdenise

jgibson1962 said:
I am off to Spain next month and because I am taking Insulin I need a Doctors letter to get me past Customs. I have just been charged £24 for this letter which I have been told lasts for 6 months. I am absolutely livid, I believe this to be discrimination that we even need a note in the first place. Does anyone else on here feel the same as me? I didn't ask for this disease now i'm being penalised as well. :evil:
Go to your local hospital where you are treated IT'S FREE, & ask your diabetic nurse to type you a letter addressed as follows,To whom it may concern, that you are on insulin & need to carry all medication with you at all times, including flying, as you can't put the insulin into the hold of the aeroplane that includes needles, use it every year travelling to the United sSates never a problem, have a nice holiday,

etmsreec

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Flippant answer: Welcome to the wonderful world of healthcare in the 21st century!

More considered answer: "Welcome to the..."
The doctor still needs to take up time sorting out the letter, signing it and maybe spending time with his secretary to review your notes and make sure that the right letter is selected and customised etc. One has a choice and, if one chooses not to take a letter then it's ones own choice.
Should the time taken to write the letter be paid for by the NHS? Why should it? Is the NHS paying for the holiday? Of course not. I don't like paying for GP letters any more than anyone else, but why should I ask someone else to pay my GP for his time?

smcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a type 1 diabetic of 44 years duration I have made many foreign trips, including Singapore, Middle East, Africa and Brazil, and have never ever had any problems with Customs or airport security. I have never never had nor been asked to produce a letter.

dowuchyalike

Elc1112 said:
Probably not what you want to hear, but I travel a lot with work (3 trips a month, usually) and have never had to have letter. I just say they were for medical reasons and make sure my insulin is in a box with the prescription label. Never, ever had a problem wherever I have gone.

Anyway, hope you have a lovely holiday! :)

My experience exactly. Maybe I've been lucky but I travelled extensively from 2001 to 2009 and never had any kind of letter or diabetic card nor was I ever asked for one. Most times I never even declared that I was carrying insulin and/or needles but on the occasions where they were picked up by x-ray machines, some airlines made me wear a small sticker on my top to indicate such. When I actually got on the plane, the cabin crew always just ignored the stickers and there was never any issue with me being separated from my supplies.

Even when I travelled for the first time with my pump this year, I refused point blank to take it off for x-ray (it can interfere with the function), so they just waved the wand over it and sent me on my way. No hassle.

Scardoc

I travelled to the Dom Rep last year and was under the impression that I needed the letter so I could take my insulin (liquid) on board without any hassle. I got the letter FOC and wasn't queried about my insulin at either Manchester or La Romana airport.

Airport security sounds like the bigger issue here!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Scardoc said:
I travelled to the Dom Rep last year and was under the impression that I needed the letter so I could take my insulin (liquid) on board without any hassle. I got the letter FOC and wasn't queried about my insulin at either Manchester or La Romana airport.

Airport security sounds like the bigger issue here!

I don't recall being asked myself but it's the reassurance of having one to hand in the event that security demanded to see one, I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle so always carry a letter just in case.

ailsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I always take the last prescription tear off with me as it gives a list of all my medication and drs phone number etc.

johnstoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only travelled once since being T1. I got a letter (as per my reply a few days ago) and like alot of you, was never asked for it.

I told the Frence security what it was, and no problems at all. No need to show the letter (which I had ready in my day bag).

I do however think its worth having. It's like having a condom in your wallet....
'Better to have and not need, than to need and not have' :wink:

george99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My GP is trying to make me attend a private patient in order to get this letter (for the Gym), at a cost of £26 and a 500mile round journey since I work away from home.

Its not as though exercise is something new to me - I've been doing Kendo and Iaido for nearly 30years.

I'm pretty miffed by this since the Diabetic Nurse has "increase levels of exercise" in my treatment plan, the GP wants cash and is refusing to supply a receipt.

I have to pay tax - so why not him? Perhaps HMRC will be intersted.

DanniP

I am going on holiday next week and after reading this post I thought I would contact my diabetes nurse (i have never had a drs note when flying before and have never had any problems but thought it may be best to have one just in case). My DN said he would pop one in the post for me tonight and didn't mention a charge of any kind. So I would have thought that charges for these kind of dr's notes can be avoided if you know where to ask

Falcon

Totally agree you are being ripped off as my Diabetic nurse not only gave me two letters (one for me and one for my husband) but an extra meter all free of charge for me (to give to my husband in case I lost mine) to get through customs. Now I'm under the diabetic nurse she seems to take all my concerns seriously unlike my GP

Elliedav

I've been diabetic for over the last 12 years and I've traveled all over the world with my insulin and repeat prescription. I have never been questioned or had any problems ever. Do you actually need a letter???? Gp's will charge you as they don't get any benefits from the government ie any extra cash from writing these letters they have certain health targets to meet and writing a letter is not a target for them unfortunately.