Feel tired all the time.

IrishJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Fish =p
I feel tired all the time. It started ages ago but has been getting worse. I've had my thyroid checked and my thyroxine doubled. Most days my limbs feel tired and I yawn a lot. Infact I could sleep right now. I have been off ill but now my GP says that we need to observe. I'm getting a bit worried that I'm either going crazy (ie it's all in my head) or that something else is up. My control is not as good as it was initially due to depression and stuff (now being treated :D) but is slowly returning to normal.

I just feel exhausted.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are several things that can cause extreme tiredness including anaemia, vitamin B12 deficiency and Vitamin D deficiency (and Thyroid but you are already being treated for that).

I felt like you did and got tested for Vitamin D deficiency (after the other two and my thyroid). Bingo, after nearly three years of feeling rubbish, taking supplements prescribed by my doctor has turned my life around, I no longer live to sleep.

Even when hcp are trying to discover what is causing the tired all the time symptoms, they don't test for Vitamin D deficiency (apparently it is an expensive test), but I would press to have it done.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi IrishJoe
Many people suffer debilitating exhaustion on analogue insulins.I had that experience on Lantus.
What insulns are you on and are you on any other medications, suchas statins?
BTW how did your weddding day go? I know it was a while ago, but haven't been on the forum much and remember you were worried how you'd manage your BGs on the big day.
Jus :)

IrishJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Fish =p
I'm on lantus and novorapid.

I tend to wake with higher blood sugars so last night I tried upping my lantus a little - I apparantly thrashed during the night and awoke with pounding headache - I guess I was hypo. So that's the end of my lantus experiment. =(

Still feel tired. Had bloodwork done and nothing abnormal (for me!) Maybe it's all in my head!

Wedding was great - today is our 2nd married St Valentines Day which is great :)

microfazer

Dislikes
man-made in$ulin$, lack of C-peptide, in$ulin propaganda, half-wit medical personnel, insulin bottles that are so much thinner than beer bottles
as janabelle mentioned, analogues can for some cause extreme tiredness, i found i was in that category. i've also had the same issue with other man-mades as well, moreso than with analogues. dunno how that works, but i've had 17hr sleeps on man-mades that still leave me feeling in need of a nap, while on porcine insulin i wake at sun-up with blue-birds tweetin & circlin round my head like something out of Sound Of Music, and up till after 1am. switch back to man-mades, its all-day zzzzzzzzzz's. inexplicable, but after switching amongst many regimens and insulin flavors, it is absolutely tied to the insulin, of this i'm certain.

no, its not in your head. man-made in$ulin$ arent always the bouquet of roses we've been promised. or maybe they are, but with a few dozen bees thrown in, and a few aphids to boot.

my money is on lantus being (mostly) the culprit. i'd also expect that if/when you smartly get off of it, your depression will be helped as well.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi IrishJoe,
I'm trying to get myself referred to another diabetic team as I'm tired, sleeply, exhausted and feeling totally washed out. However, my joints are ok and I've got no pains. Diagnosed 3 years ago and being treated as type 1. Was on levemir and novorapid for about 1 year but needed time off work through exhaustion. At that time I was on 100 units levemir...too much as body weight is 73kg. Now on Lantus..avg 25 units.. and novorapid..carb counting for nearly 3 years. I aslo have problems with BMs dropping rapidly when I do any physical. At work I am now eating nearly 2 hourly without injecting then I adjust later.

How are your BMs? At the moment I've been having lots of hypos. The last time 3 hypos in 24 hour period...very bad night , went to bed with BMs 22.3 took 20 lantus from 26 lantus the previous night and woke up around 4.00am hypo at 3.3 BMs. The previous day I was 2.8 at 0.45am. ****!!!

DSN at the hospital has suggested that I get referred to a diabetic specalist....that is easier said than done. I'm just hoping that my surgery is doing so as they seem to have stopped communicating with me. It is a huge effort to work..lifting and driving..even walking, I'm usually just plodding along..

Have asked DSN about porcine insulin but she said 'don't ' use it as it's made from pigs. However, as it seems that analogue isn't agreeing with me I'll happily give it a go if only I can get someone to let me have some. Maybe the referred team may let me try porcine or know why my BMs are high and hypos and I'm so washed out. Been like this for over 2 years and I've needed time off work. However, I cannot keep going on like this. I hope you can get sorted out soon.

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
If you snore a lot (like me) it could be obstructive sleep apnoea... I recently had a test (overnight) and my airways keep collapsing at night, which means I don't get enough "deep" sleep.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I have finally been put on porcine Neutral and Isophane insulins. In the end, I had to complain to the hospital trust and within a week my DSN contacted me to come to the hospital and changed my insulin from analogue then human and finally to animal. It's now been a week using porcine and my BSs are in single figures although my morning BSs are high. I'm now upping my porcine isophane at tea time when I also take the porcine neutral. The DSN has split the isophane and I take it at breakfact and tea time when I also take the nrutral.. I'm beginning to shake off the tiredness/fatigue feelings and everyone has already noticed how better I look. I'm walking with a bit of a spring in my steps instead of walking very slowly and dragging my feet. I know its early days but I've already felt the changes now that I'm on procine instead of analogue and human insulins. About 3 months ago I developed gum problems and my right index fingure/knuckle is very sore sometimes I cannot hold a pen to write. Luckly, I've never had the pain in my legs but I'm glad the drugged up feelings have all GONE!!!!

My GP and diabetes team didn't want to know what I'd read on the forums and info from the IDDT. If you're still struggling with the novorapid and lantus or even levemir (analogue or human insulins) keep pressing your DSN or failing that write to the hospital trust with info from IDDT and forums.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Nigel,
I haven't been on this forum for ages but had to login to congratulate you on your persistance! Your DSN had her back-side kicked and well done for doing it, not that you should have to have done so :(
I've been off Lantus for 4 years now, and have never looked back but it sickens me that it's still on the market.
Really pleased to have read your post and how much better u are feeling, I hope it will spur others on to do the same.
Jus :)

DanniP

nigelho said:
Hi IrishJoe,
I'm trying to get myself referred to another diabetic team as I'm tired, sleeply, exhausted and feeling totally washed out. However, my joints are ok and I've got no pains. Diagnosed 3 years ago and being treated as type 1. Was on levemir and novorapid for about 1 year but needed time off work through exhaustion. At that time I was on 100 units levemir...too much as body weight is 73kg. Now on Lantus..avg 25 units.. and novorapid..carb counting for nearly 3 years. I aslo have problems with BMs dropping rapidly when I do any physical. At work I am now eating nearly 2 hourly without injecting then I adjust later.

How are your BMs? At the moment I've been having lots of hypos. The last time 3 hypos in 24 hour period...very bad night , went to bed with BMs 22.3 took 20 lantus from 26 lantus the previous night and woke up around 4.00am hypo at 3.3 BMs. The previous day I was 2.8 at 0.45am. ****!!!

DSN at the hospital has suggested that I get referred to a diabetic specalist....that is easier said than done. I'm just hoping that my surgery is doing so as they seem to have stopped communicating with me. It is a huge effort to work..lifting and driving..even walking, I'm usually just plodding along..

Have asked DSN about porcine insulin but she said 'don't ' use it as it's made from pigs. However, as it seems that analogue isn't agreeing with me I'll happily give it a go if only I can get someone to let me have some. Maybe the referred team may let me try porcine or know why my BMs are high and hypos and I'm so washed out. Been like this for over 2 years and I've needed time off work. However, I cannot keep going on like this. I hope you can get sorted out soon.

Hi it is definitely not all in your head. I too have extreme tiredness and have udnergone allt he tests and been told "no, you're completely fine". I cam across the info on the IDDT trust website the same as Nigelho and when I spoke to my DSN I was told that the info was biased and bascially that I was wastign ym time with them. However when I called the IDDT helpline I spoke to a lady who said she gets calls all the time from people on Lantus that have experieicned tiredness, depression, aches and pains, mood swings, loss of sex drive etc. This made me feel so muich better as I am currently on Citalopram for depression and I am beginning to wonder if maybe this is linked to my Lantus.

I have managed to swap to Levemir but have only been on this for a bout a week so a bit early to tell if its making a difference but I woudl urge you to push to switch to a different insulin and get a vit D test done. I haven't had the vit D test but if my energy levels dont start to increase on Levemir then I am going to ask for this also.

But seriously, you aren't alone with this.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi DANNI,
Think seriously of getting yourself onto porcine neutral and porcine isophane. I'm now on vit D3 suppliments and on ramipril for highish blood pressure. I had to ask for the vit D test as I told my GP that I'd read about it on the diabetes forums and the results came back at 20.5. As for the blood test the GP asked if I'd have this done within my diabetes reviews..my answer..NO. In the ens 13 blood pressure checks were done over 3 days and I was indeed more than what is recommended for diabetics. I couldn't get on with levemir, I ended up taking 100units split twice daily. I began to wonder when my old GP asked why I was taking so muchas my body weight was 73kg. I understand that you shouldn't need to take that much over your body weight number. Stupidly, I asked to switch to lantus and my dose came down to 28. DSN was surprised that I needed much less lantus. However, I NOW KNOW that analogue insulins do not work for me.

If you're still tired etc, ASK to change onto PORCINE ASAP. If your diabetes team refuse, as mine did at first, write to your hospital trust stating why you want to try porcine and send them some copies from porcine users/lantus problems on the forums. This is what I had to do as I got fet uo BEGGING and having the door SLAMMED in my face.

GOOD LUCK...So far I'm really feeling MUCH better and I'm abled to work better. I'm a home shopping delivery driver and lifting groceries during my shift. I still get tired after a heavy shift BUT it's a different tiredness that I had with Levemir and Lantus and to a lesser extent novorapid which is also analogue.

rinfrance

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi try wheat, or rather the lack of it. The doctors here in France poo poo it however, hard wheat really knocks me out. Within 20 minutes of digesting it I am forcefully asleep.It is categorically hard wheat, both red and white. The soft does not affect me any where near as much!
However, whisky blended, beer 1664 made from wheat, bread normally cheapest, all knock me out, gone for a couple of hours wake up feeling depressed, have IBS and am really yuk.
It takes 24 hours or more to get the carp out of my system! Trouble is it may be in really weird places. Some wines had it put in to (illegally) improve its alcohol content, ice cream, tinned beans ( the sugars of the wheat used in the liquid to sweeten) and so on.
I have found some foods with natural sugars from different places have the wheat problem.
Doctors refuse to accept it, so after they refuse to accept that vitamin B12 is affected by insulin giving me clickey fingers and a locking shoulder now I self dose with B12. It seems that after I told our diabetic doctor she got someone she did not know I knew on it and suddenly his dementia as well as his shoulder and finger pains went.
This being after I told her and she poopooed it!
Livemir, terrible, really caused me problems! Novorapid had it for years gave me pains in the chest, doctors refused to accept it! Was put on aerius and problem rescinded.
The doctor refuses porcine even though my father was on it as he had had problems.
I am currently on Actarapid, and of course the aerius. One git of a doctor told me I am a hypochondriac--- funny because all I take is insulin and aerius, funny kind of hypochondriac!!! Sent me home driving when I was having a PTSS attack, god knows how I drove home, all I wanted to do was kill myself! For any French readers I will give you his name and his location!
I currently have a breathing problem that seems to be caused by something like fungal or insect. Again the aerius is helping that!
Anyway, do try the wheat. Info:- both a Californian Uni and a Norwegian Uni have discovered that a/ hard wheat does have the above effect, and that 2/ people who are not diabetic and have wheat sensitivity, WILL become diabetics, thats 30%of the population!!
Incidentally, what do the french lorry drivers have for midday meals, bread, cheap beer, cheap sauces over meats, piece of gateau and then cheese and more bread.
Next question when does France have the highest number of lorry drivers falling asleep at the wheel when driving, oh yes 30 mins - 2 hours after the meal above.
Over 30% are Diabetic!

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Bumping the thread.
I feel exhausted, only diagnosed less than 2 weeks ago and i'm convinced its the lantus. DSN had the cheek to say i'm either pregnant or its in my head. Can't believe it, does anyone know where i go from here?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hellbunny said:
Bumping the thread.
I feel exhausted, only diagnosed less than 2 weeks ago and i'm convinced its the lantus. DSN had the cheek to say i'm either pregnant or its in my head. Can't believe it, does anyone know where i go from here?

Hiya,
it will take your body a little while to sort it's self out but if you are not happy with the Lantus, then sit down with your DSN and point out it's your body and as an informed patient acording to NICE guidelines you have a say in your treatment. Tell her point blank that you do not wish to take Lantus so what alternative can you try. If she says no then dump the lantus on her desk and walk out. (Make sure you have some still at home though).
If a HCP is going against your wishes then it's bullying.
Bottom line is it's your body so you have a say in what you put into it.

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thankyou, my mum is coming with me tomorrow. I feel worse tonight, i went to a&e with my mum friday as i can't walk, i'm so weak. I just want to sleep all the time. they ran blood tests and did an ECG but said i'm fine. I feel terrible

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hellbunny said:
Thankyou, my mum is coming with me tomorrow. I feel worse tonight, i went to a&e with my mum friday as i can't walk, i'm so weak. I just want to sleep all the time. they ran blood tests and did an ECG but said i'm fine. I feel terrible

That def is not normal.
Insist that the consultant sees you. Please do not be fobbed off by the DSN.
Has your thyroid been tested and your cortisol levels? Most importantly what are your blood sugars like?

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi CarbsRok,
Sorry to hear about your situation. Lets hope your DSN/Consultant will change the lantus to possibly porcine or human insulin, anything away from analogue. If they will not change write to your local hospital(PAL) see your local hospital website and tell them of your problems. Send any info you can from the diabetic forum and a letter from IDDT. I had to resort to this to obtain my change from lantus to porcine. Unfortunately, blood tests don't seem to tell that your body cannot 'use' analogue insulin, especially lantus or levemir. Good luck and keep us informed.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nigelho said:
Hi CarbsRok,
Sorry to hear about your situation. Lets hope your DSN/Consultant will change the lantus to possibly porcine or human insulin, anything away from analogue. If they will not change write to your local hospital(PAL) see your local hospital website and tell them of your problems. Send any info you can from the diabetic forum and a letter from IDDT. I had to resort to this to obtain my change from lantus to porcine. Unfortunately, blood tests don't seem to tell that your body cannot 'use' analogue insulin, especially lantus or levemir. Good luck and keep us informed.

I don't use Lantus or any other analogue. Neither do I have a DSN or a consultant. :lol:

canadagoose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to post to say I'm another one having this problem. I never really thought about going to the doctor's about it because I thought it was somehow my fault for being inactive, but when I am active, I really feel drained afterwards and spend even more time sleeping than normal (I can't get by on less than 11 hours per day). I think my HbA1c might have something to do with it, but it's been lower and I've had the same problem then. It's really annoying...!