Doctors letter rip off

Paul J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
Im flying next week, and my doctor raised a prescription detailling all required meds then wrote a note on the bottom of it and signed it ( thats what the airline requested) all foc and then wished me a happy holiday, also gave advice on e111 and medical insurance,
They really want me to stay fit, they are really helpful and i try to follw advice and keep "my end of the deal"

carrington

no offence but in Jersey we pay to see the doctor £40 and the letter
is £14 this is a real ripoff and there is nothing that can be done :evil:

oconnorbp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where does the six months come from? I've been using the same letter for at least three years. Yes it is a pain but type 1 does not go away and not in six months. After almost forty years injecting insulin I feel that diabetics are being ripped off now, more than ever, but I don't see why your letter is only valid for six months. I take my letter, NHS card, repeat perscript with me. Diabetes Type 1 does not go away.. I wish it did.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
oconnorbp said:
Where does the six months come from? I've been using the same letter for at least three years. Yes it is a pain but type 1 does not go away and not in six months. After almost forty years injecting insulin I feel that diabetics are being ripped off now, more than ever, but I don't see why your letter is only valid for six months. I take my letter, NHS card, repeat perscript with me. Diabetes Type 1 does not go away.. I wish it did.

I'd not heard of this 6 month time limit myself and used the same letter for years (although I never got asked to produce it) and do agree that it's another way of making money from those who have to pay for a letter.

Baggsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You should only require a letter/liscence if you are travelling abroad carrying schedule 1,2 or 3 Controlled drugs. I travel all over the world regularly with work and have no hassles getting through customs carring insulin. Even long haul flights where i need to inject, simply let security know what I'm carrying. No issues at all. On a point to note though, certain middle eastern countries have some strange rules and it is highly recommended to declare absolutley everything when entering Singapore. They have a very large sign as you enter saying; and I quote "Death Penalty For Drug Smugglers".
But you shouldn't need to carry a GP letter or anything similar in the EU.

Type1Jim

Went to my hospital and spoke to the dietician and DSN. Both said they would do it for me (FOC). Completely wrong to be charged by a surgery.

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
Yes, I will have to get a new letter and have been charged by my GP in the past.
I have used the same letter for about 8 years now, Im thinking of getting it laminated, to protect it, but if it is too torn along the creases then will have to get a new one.
It is very upsetting to have to pay for a letter to prove ones health condition! :(

bobismad

I'm just back from spain, and have never had to provide a letter...maybe I'm just lucky....1 bit of advise I would give is tho is keep a full set of pens/insulin in hold baggage, as well as what you carry in the hand baggage, I've never been stopped in 10 years..

Bob

smcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin should not be put in the hold of a plane. It will freeze and become very unpredictable in its effects.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I flew with Ryanair to Bristol to Dublin a few months ago and they didnt raise an eyebrow to my insulin pens, i put them in the clear plastic bags in the box they came in and a repeat prescription slip. Was very impressed as it was my first time flying with insulin and was not made to feel like a junkie or a terrorist :)

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
I am surprised that people need a letter - ive been a t1 diabetic for almost all my life and have been flying to USA and all over europe and never ever had any problems or have been asked for a letter to prove my condition. i always just mention it when im going through security that i am carrying insulin and pens in my handbag and thats fine :D