novamix30

elainechi

need a bit of help with my daughter 12 insulin. she has 40 units novarapid in morning and 30 in evening. what amount should she be having of carbs with eaxh meal please

we changed from mdi due to non compliance!!!! but she knows she must stick to certain amount of carbs a day at certain times. unfortunately jane has only being going to school in the mornings as had a massive hypo at school and wouldn.t go back. her bs were ok then. now back full time they.re high again. have tried pack lunches but eats from cafe. if no money borrows or begs. there is nothing in cafe that is low carb let alone no carb.!!!!!

please help xxxx

iHs

Hi Elaine

Twice daily injections of biphasic insulin such as Novomix 30 will only be ok for your daughter if she keeps to eating set amounts of carb at certain times of the day. How much carb she needs to eat can partly be determined by frequent bg tests to begin with and then once you know the amounts of carb needed, the bg testing can then be done about 4 times per day. Didn't the DSN work out an approx amount of carb for your daughter based on the units of insulin she has been told to inject?

If your daughter has gone hypo before lunch, then it's usually because not enough carb has been eaten mid morning. If the hypo happens mid afternoon, then its because not enough carb has been eaten at lunchtime. Exercise will call for more carb to compensate as she wont be able to adjust her bolus insulin like she would if she was using MDI.

With regards to going into cafes to eat then that's ok at lunchtime as long as the carb that she eats is in the correct amounts. if she is eating carb at school and also eating from cafes, then obviously her bg levels are going to be up with a highish hba1c. For her own sake, she's got to tow the line a bit .......

elainechi

thank you for your reply. her hypo was with mdi !!
at home her bs are ok as i low carb with her. but its true the more carbs you have the more you want. the cafe is the only food available at school which opens at break and lunch!!!! i think shevwill have to start having a dose of novarapid at lunch if bs are high and try that. she wont like it but since her attendance has been so very low the school seem to recognise she has diabetes.

the best one was when i took dragged her to school and into reception and said she refused her insulin this morning. please tell the nurse. the woman said well its more important that she comes to school than have medication!!!!!!!.i just looked in amazement and walked away. oh what fun i have. xxx

sugarfree2

hi i have been using novo mix for 4 years gut omly use 16 units in morn and 16 in evening can i ask why your daughter is using this amount it would help me understand a lot more been told i am type 1 but using so little insulin i wonder if i have a different level of diabetes or is my body producing some but not enough insulin thank you

lauren_gee_x

70 units a day seems to be a lot for a 12 year old, I've always been on novo mix 30 well apart from a short spell on humolog. I honestly can't remember ever being on such a high dosage at that age. I don't know if it might be worth asking the dsn to review her insulin xx

elainechi

hi again. my daughter may be 12 but the size of an adult. 5 ft 4 and 130lbs.
what i need to know if she has her inj at 8 am how long will it last??. by lunch at 1pm shes ok but then she has a carb lunch shes high!!!!!!!!!! she wont have any novarapid then but by the time she gets home its under 10 again.does this happen to others????

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
elainechi said:
hi again. my daughter may be 12 but the size of an adult. 5 ft 4 and 130lbs.
what i need to know if she has her inj at 8 am how long will it last??. by lunch at 1pm shes ok but then she has a carb lunch shes high!!!!!!!!!! she wont have any novarapid then but by the time she gets home its under 10 again.does this happen to others????

The simple solution is to cut back on the amount of carbs she has at lunch time.
The insulin she is on is very limiting as to what and when she can eat.
IE, she needs the same amount of carbs every day.
The mix being used is a combination of basal and bolus the bolus covers her breakfast and her bolus which is the type that peaks will cover a certain amount of carbs at lunch time but not a lot. The basal element should cover her until evening meal (5pm)
As to her dosage she is using as much insulin in one day as I would use in 5 or 6 days. :shock: Something is not right somewhere, as in how much is she eating that you don't know about?

elainechi

basically 40 carbs for breakfast. another 40/60 at 11am and 60 ish at 1pm. at home about 40/50 for snack dinner.

her bs is 4-7 at breakfast
7-8 at 11am
midteens before lunch
7-8 dinner
refuses to do at bedtime

her bs will go down in summer hols as no school and food available

elainechi

without carbs.

still trying to low carb at times but at school no food available with low carbs never mind no carbs. guess i.ll put up with it til she decides she wants to take care.clinic appt next week. hope her hba1c is less than 13% this time x

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
elainechi said:
basically 40 carbs for breakfast. another 40/60 at 11am and 60 ish at 1pm. at home about 40/50 for snack dinner.

her bs is 4-7 at breakfast
7-8 at 11am
midteens before lunch
7-8 dinner
refuses to do at bedtime

her bs will go down in summer hols as no school and food available

The mid moring snack is the problem 40/60 :shock: :crazy: that's just nuts, it's no wonder she is so high at lunch time.
40/60 carbs is equiv to a full blown meal. 20 carbs is more than enough and if still high before lunch then cut it down to 10 carbs.

elainechi

thankyou carbsRok,i totally agreed too many carbs midmorning and the insulin mix will cover a lighter carb lunch only depending on exercise in the afternoon
its just put my mind at ease that i have a good idea of what she should be doing and the action .timing of novamix
xx