Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all...
3 weeks ago my GP agreed as my fasting lipids showed a large rise in my cholestrol level up to 8.6% :shock:
Despite my HbA1c coming down another 1% to 7% with my sheer concentrated efforts ...
Wasnt happy at all to hear this either.
We both agreed the simvastatin clearly isnt working to reduce my cholestrol level.
So I was advised to stop taking it. So I did...
I suffered very itchy skin , prickly heat , twitchy legs , to the point it even kept me wake.
My skin felt too sensitive after showering and then felt even worse when using hair drier,
even wearing clothes made me itchy n jumpy ! My skin felt damp n wet too at times. It was awful...
Should I have been 'weaned' off them instead ?
Looking back could I have been going 'cold turkey'?? With all these symptoms.
Anyone else experienced this when just 'stopped' taking/using simvastatin?
Had been taking it 2 years up to completely stopping ...
Have to also mention whilst on the simvastatin I 'did' experience
1. Hair loss , dry skin
2. strong vivid dreams
3. leg pains and cramping in muscles
These are now thankfully subsiding and I do feel more generally comfortable being
relieved of these side effects.
Plus the lab had put a note into my GP requesting a full peptide retest whatever that/this means?
My GP said he would write to my consultant again , making him aware of these facts.
Am due to see my consultant for a reveiw on my fasting lipid results and am wondering
what options [meds wise] he may try to prescribe for the raised cholestrol of 8.6%.
As I know this isnt a good result ...
Anna.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I stopped statins dead a few years ago (when I could barely walk!) without having any withdrawal symptoms, but I was only on 10mg a day. I lost a lot of my joint pain/stiffness in the next few weeks; what's left is degenerative arthritis of the spine.

Can't help with the other part of your question, I'm afraid. They did offer me a non-statin alternative, but I can't remember its name. I checked the name on spacedoc.net at the time and it seemed to have all the same side effects as statins, so no thanks!

I find low-carb keeps my cholesterol within levels I and my GP find "acceptable". Others wouldn't! :wink:

I wouldn't mind hearing the results of your consultation, if you don't mind. I wouldn't mind trying something that didn't affect liver function and didn't affect CoQ10!

Viv 8)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi viv.
Thank you for your reply.
Will certainly let you know what consultant suggest or does with me.
Personally I think I have a highly sensitive system as have NEVER experienced this before
it was 'awful' just like withdrawal cold turkey!!!
I follow and do a very low carb eating routine, in fact am off to trowel ebay for your tip
Rose Elliott [low carb vegetarians] from the other thread.
As I only like bacon [very lean and well baked or grilled! tiny portion of chicken] in meats...
Am more veggie loving typically as a rule!
My liver function is abnormal [fatty liver] due to medication taken all of my life!
Had septicemia 4-5 times and had shed loads of antibiotics and meds for this plus umpteen infections also.
So it has taken a hammering ...
Am being kept on Ezetrol at my own request though, it acts as a statin but 'isnt' one...
Work that one out - I cant!!! :eh:
Am hoping the consultant can offer me something completely different to a statin as the
side effects ARE unpleasant.
Will let you know what transpires there!
Anna.

storyman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had the same symptoms and asked to see the nurse, she suggested I stopped taking the statins for three weeks and see what happens. I did with no noticeable difference so went back on them. I have since been informed that it can be a sign of hyperglycaemia. I don’t have a consultant to ask and I don’t really have a lot of confidence in the doctors so I soldier on. It’s a real pain in the ..... :)