snacking before exercise

zoe

i am diabetic type 1, on 5 injections a day. i wanted to know that if i were to do 30 mins exercise in between meals should i have to have a dextro tablet and a snack. i am asking this because i am finding that when i test my levels before exercising they are between 6 and 10, but as soon as i finish exercising i am having a hypo with levels of 2 and 3. I was under the impression that my long lasting injection (glargine) was to keep me level throughout the day. just for the record my long lasting injection is split into 2,morning and night.

Abi

From the fact that you are hypoing- you certainly need some carbs of some description prior to excercise. If you decide to start excercsing for longer periods you may need to snack more or reduce insulin in the hours following excercise also.

Interesting that you had to split glargine. Most health professionals believe that it lasts 24 hopurs in most people but I seem to be encountering more and more people on the net who seem to need to split it

Pattidevans

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zoe</i>
<br />i am diabetic type 1, on 5 injections a day. i wanted to know that if i were to do 30 mins exercise in between meals should i have to have a dextro tablet and a snack. i am asking this because i am finding that when i test my levels before exercising they are between 6 and 10, but as soon as i finish exercising i am having a hypo with levels of 2 and 3. I was under the impression that my long lasting injection (glargine) was to keep me level throughout the day. just for the record my long lasting injection is split into 2,morning and night.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

This is taken from the Carb Counting course from BDEC (similar to DAFNE)

Exercise and insulin dosage

It is not possible to give exact guidelines for altering insulin doses due to individual variation in responses to exercise. It is important to check your blood glucose level before, during (if possible) and after exercise until you find out what is best for you.

Here are some general guidelines on how to adjust your insulin dosage to account for exercise:

Type of exercise Example Recommendations
Short duration - gentle
20 min walk to shop No action - carry glucose
Medium duration - gentle
Swim for 30 - 45 mins
Blood glucose less than 7mmol/l - take additional 2-3 CPs

Blood glucose 7-10mmol/l - take additional 1-2 CPs

Blood glucose 10-13mmol/l - no extra CPs needed. When did you last eat? Retest during exercise.
Prolonged/intense - up to 4 hours
Aerobic class - 1 hour
4 hour bike
30-50% reduction of insulin dose prior to exercise. Extra carbohydrate may also be required.
Prolonged exercise - longer than 4 hours
A day's hiking
Reduce fast acting insulin by 50% - before, during and immediately after exercise. Additional carbohydrate snacks (without insulin) may also be necessary.

For a full day's exercise you may also benefit from taking 30-50% less background insulin for that day (eg previous night Lantus dose).

CPs are carbohydrate portions 1 x CP = 10g carb

Hope this helps!

Incidentally Abi, I started splitting Lantus as a way of adapting to an 8 hr time change when I went to California a few years back. It worked so well I stuck to it. I am now on Levemir which I also split.

Patti
On Levemir/Novorapid. Last hba1c 5.3