Ketosis results

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did a ketosis test with my new glycogen meter yesterday and the results were 0.7. A normal result is 0.6.

I was expecting it higher since I am low carbing under 50g a day in fact normally under 30g.

Any reason?

Thanks

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
BioHaZarD said:
I did a ketosis test with my new glycogen meter yesterday and the results were 0.7. A normal result is 0.6.

I was expecting it higher since I am low carbing under 50g a day in fact normally under 30g.

Any reason?

Thanks

0.7 mmol/l? I thought that 0.5 mol/l was indicative of mild ketosis with anything much above 1mmol/l being enough to turn a ketostix purple.

The reasons why you might not be showing deep ketosis:

1) Too many carbs - 50g a day is probably a little bit too much.
2) Too much protein - strictly no more than 1g per lb of lean body mass, certainly no more than 18% of calories from protein
3) Too many calories

(2) is the killer, if you want to be in ketosis, you can't eat steak three times a day (which is a pity, cos I would).

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
borofergie said:
BioHaZarD said:

Any reason?

Thanks

0.7 mmol/l? I thought that 0.5 mol/l was indicative of mild ketosis with anything much above 1mmol/l being enough to turn a ketostix purple.

The reasons why you might not be showing deep ketosis:

1) Too many carbs - 50g a day is probably a little bit too much.
2) Too much protein - strictly no more than 1g per lb of lean body mass, certainly no more than 18% of calories from protein
3) Too many calories

(2) is the killer, if you want to be in ketosis, you can't eat steak three times a day (which is a pity, cos I would).

Hmmm, I was going on what it dais in the information that cam ewith the Glucomen Meter.

1) I dont eat over 35g a day, usually its more 20-25g
2) I eat meat every day, if not meat then fish so yes protein could be higher (cant beat a nice bit if steak)
3) usually I have between 1600-2200 calories

Mileana

Isn't it true that if you are in ketosis you are in ketosis and the only reason to measure high ketones as such is dehydration or your body producing more of them than it can process/needs?

That's what I sort of gathered from all the bits I have read?

That at the end of the day if you're showing 'any' ketones, you're in ketosis?

Or is this only true for urine tests?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mileana said:
Isn't it true that if you are in ketosis you are in ketosis and the only reason to measure high ketones as such is dehydration or your body producing more of them than it can process/needs?

That's what I sort of gathered from all the bits I have read?

That at the end of the day if you're showing 'any' ketones, you're in ketosis?

Or is this only true for urine tests?

Blood ketones are a bit different, they're much less prone to dilution than urine ketones. There is a metabolic advantage to ketosis, the more ketones the bigger the advantage (up to a point), so it's worth testing to see how deeply into ketosis you are.

Mileana

Cool.

How about the acidity that also comes from Ketosis then?

I know people on keto-diet for say epilepsy have to be monitored closely to try and avoid kidney stones, bone demineralization etc.

Now I'm just asking coz I have been wondering.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mileana said:
Cool.

How about the acidity that also comes from Ketosis then?

I know people on keto-diet for say epilepsy have to be monitored closely to try and avoid kidney stones, bone demineralization etc.

Now I'm just asking coz I have been wondering.

That's "ketoacidodis" which is a kind of out-of-control ketosis that occurs in T1 diabetics who don't get enough insulin. It's not really a risk for non-insulin using T2s. Most if us produce too much insulin. Being in dietary ketosis doesn't lead to ketoacidodis.

dlmoak

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Protein is probably your issue. Not that you shouldn't be eating it, but 1/2 of the protein you eat is eventually converted to glucose. So if you are near the line for getting into ketosis and you eat too much protein, you may go over. 50g. of carbs seems to be the top for a conversion to ketosis, so if you are eating a good bit of protein, you would need to go less on the carbs. Also, the keto-diet for epilepsy is not at all the same thing as just restricting carbs to achieve ketosis - much more restricted.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
dlmoak said:
Protein is probably your issue. Not that you shouldn't be eating it, but 1/2 of the protein you eat is eventually converted to glucose. So if you are near the line for getting into ketosis and you eat too much protein, you may go over. 50g. of carbs seems to be the top for a conversion to ketosis, so if you are eating a good bit of protein, you would need to go less on the carbs. Also, the keto-diet for epilepsy is not at all the same thing as just restricting carbs to achieve ketosis - much more restricted.

I very rarely go over 30g of carbs per day, usually 20-25g

Defren

BioHaZarD said:

Any reason?

Thanks

Yep, all the little cheats you have will have knocked you out of ketosis. To stay in ketosis you have to eat low carb all the time. :lol: [I am teasing, but it's true].

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Defren said:
BioHaZarD said:

Any reason?

Thanks

Yep, all the little cheats you have will have knocked you out of ketosis. To stay in ketosis you have to eat low carb all the time. :lol: [I am teasing, but it's true].

I know :D it's not to many, and not all the time, things just get in the way sometimes and always seems to happen in one go, then that's it for ages till something else happens. My sons 4th birthday at start of August so that's gonna be a toughish day, but i have a shopping list to make a low carb cake etc and of course jelly and ice cream (cream for me) but even with a few cheats on the way my levels don't spike to much and generally go down within a good timeframe and I still loose weight every week. :D

Defren

BioHaZarD said:
Defren said:
BioHaZarD said:

Any reason?

Thanks

I know :D it's not to many, and not all the time, things just get in the way sometimes and always seems to happen in one go, then that's it for ages till something else happens. My sons 4th birthday at start of August so that's gonna be a toughish day, but i have a shopping list to make a low carb cake etc and of course jelly and ice cream (cream for me) but even with a few cheats on the way my levels don't spike to much and generally go down within a good timeframe and I still loose weight every week. :D

Excuses, excuses :lol: :lol: Seriously, cut out all naughty treats and watch the ketones come. I have been continuously in ketosis for months, I am not boasting, but each time you come out of ketosis you have Atkins flu to face and it's so bad, I would rather do without the treats. :lol: I know it's hard when you have celebrations, and special times, but you have to sacrifice I'm afraid. You'll get there, just lay off the naughties. :lol:

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
*off to sit in the corner* :oops:

:D i know I know, I am usually very good and have been, but it's easy to fall into the trap "doing really well, feel great, will it do any harm". obviously long term, maybe. I think also the eye test tomorrow has been on my mind a little and that has distracted me from normal day to day + graduation party, excuses excuses, but yes even when 100% focused its still hard a times. Might lock myself away for a week and get back in mind. :lol:

Defren

BioHaZarD said:
*off to sit in the corner* :oops:

:D i know I know, I am usually very good and have been, but it's easy to fall into the trap "doing really well, feel great, will it do any harm". obviously long term, maybe. I think also the eye test tomorrow has been on my mind a little and that has distracted me from normal day to day + graduation party, excuses excuses, but yes even when 100% focused its still hard a times. Might lock myself away for a week and get back in mind. :lol:

You'll be fine, and no need for the naughty step. I did have a packet of potato crisps shortly after diagnosis, but haven't cheated since [not because I'm virtuous but I really don't want to face Atkins flu again. I'm far to much of a coward to go through it again. :lol: