my daughter is type1 diabetic

bigmamma

hi my daughter got diagnosed two years ago at the age of 12 as been a type 1 diabetic.. she has come to turns slowly about but now is going thru a difficult time with hormones etc.. she has also just been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid gland which she is now on medication for as well as all her insulin. any1 got any ideas how to get her back on her feet?!

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome,
i cant really advise on children with type 1 as i was 31 when i got it, although i do have an underactive thyroid ,im sure one of our diabetics from childhood will be along soon to help you :)

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Bigmamma,
I can sympathise with you, its horrible enough our kids are diabetic without having another complication added to their condition. I've been there,my son Andrew whos 10, was diagnosed T1(3yrs ago), a year later he was diagnosed with coeliac disease which is a gluten intolerance.
Chloes Mum on the forum has an 11 yr old daughter going through puberty, and recently had a rough time of it, perhaps you could PM her, both having girls i'm sure between you's, you'll come up with some ideas to help cheer your daughter up,
Best wishes
Suzi x

bigmamma

thank you both for repling it me. as im new to this site i dnt know how to get intouch with any people so would appriciate any help out there. thanks all

Hayley.clancy

Hiya

My name is Hayley and my daughter, is 8 and she was diagnosed a couple of months ago. I don't know who its harder for her or me. She just gets on with it, and I just stress and worry all the time!
It's really hard, but its great to share are woes and advise on the forum!

Katharine

My son Steven has type one and got it when he was 12. I wonder if making low carb cakes and biscuits with your daughter would cheer her up a bit? Steven doesn't enjoy cooking or baking but his wee brother does and we often do a session in the kitchen together.

By using almonds, whey protein powder, soya flour and sugar substitutes you can make some yummmy stuff with quite low carb counts that doesn't need much insulin to cover it.

Eg: Blueberry Crumble Cake (From Laura Dolson's about low carb site)

Ingredients:

3 cups almond meal
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (1 tsp for topping, 1/2 tsp for cake layer)
1 1/2 cups sugar substitute divided for each layer as indicated below (we used liquid Sweetzfree)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter (4 tablespoons), chilled and cut into small pieces
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons extract or 1 teaspoon each vanilla and almond extracts
2 tablespoons oil
6 ounces cream cheese
Salt
1 cup fresh or frozen (but not thawed) blueberries or raspberries

Preparation:

Preheat over to 350 F. Butter or oil a 9 x 9 inch pan

Coffee cake is prepared in three layers:

1. Streusel Topping: Mix 1 cup of the almond meal, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 cup sweetener (or 12 drops Sweetzfree), a pinch of salt, and the 4 tbsp butter. You want the mixture to stay crumbly - use a pastry blender, knives - whatever works. But if it all clumps together, don't worry - just crumble it over the top when the time comes.

2. Cream Cheese Layer: Mix cream cheese, 1 egg, and 1/4 cup (6 drops Sweetzfree) sweetener.

3. Cake Layer: Mix dry ingredients: 2 cups almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, teaspoon salt, and 3/4 cup sweetener if you're using a powder. Add the sour cream, oil, extracts, liquid Sweetener if that's what you're using, sour cream, and two eggs and mix well.

Assembly:

Spread the cake layer in the pan, and spread the cream cheese on top - don't worry if you can't spread it evenly. Then spread the blueberries on the cream cheese and the streusel on top of that.

Bake for about half an hour or until toothpick not inserted into a berry comes out clean. If you use a thermometer, it should be about 155 F in the center.

This actually took an hour in my oven!

kellyrae

bigmamma said:
hi my daughter got diagnosed two years ago at the age of 12 as been a type 1 diabetic.. she has come to turns slowly about but now is going thru a difficult time with hormones etc.. she has also just been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid gland which she is now on medication for as well as all her insulin. any1 got any ideas how to get her back on her feet?!

Hi, I was 7yrs old when i was diagnosed and remember like it was yesterday going through my teens with diabetes...not easy to say the least.
Trying to fit in and not be different to my friends was hard, I rebelled against the diabetes and used to do things my friends would, not realising or not believing what the consequences would be.

Luckily I havn't suffered any yet but i'm sure the day will come when I wish I had listened to my mums advice about keeping my blood sugars level and staying on the right path.

When i started highschool I was luck to have met a friend who had type one, we became very close friends and we spent most of our time together, we are still close even after 25 years!!

I am not sure what your daughter is struggling with but having another friend in the same boat and age really helped.
Just being able to test our blood and do injections together was easier than having to do it with my other friends, don't get wrong my other friends didn't make me feel different but I think you just automatically feel that way about it.

We used to go on trips away with the BDA....with a group of other kids with diabetes, it was great, we would go camping and trips to blackpool for the day etc.....

Does she have anyone in her boat she can share her diabetes with?
Or maybe a group she can join with others her age?

I think this may help...I hope :) xx

elainechi

hi jane is now 12 nearly 13 and diagnosed at nearly 11. wow we have been through the mill with diabetes. puberty hit early so making last few years painfull!!!!!!.feel read to read any of my posts.

however her hba1c was 8-6% yesterday. hooray. never below 10 before. all of us is clinic inc jane looked at each other and said is the machone broken!!!!!!.

jane went from mdi back to novamix 30.and keeps an eye on her carbs. i have battled with the school who have many well behaved t1!!!!!! but realized she need help as they didn.t know what to do when mega hypo at school leading to 5 weeks school refusal. senco were brilliant
feel fre to pm me but you might think you.re ok after reading this

good luck
elaine x