Broke my diet but - nothing!

Defren

I am so shocked and for once speechless which isn't me at all. :angel:

Tonight, I broke my ultra low carb rule and - nothing! Ok, I broke it by my rules which means I had a rather large portion of rhubarb and strawberry crumble (low carb home made) with LOADS of single cream... Then I had some (home made low carb) bread and have walloped a couple of bread rolls thickened with butter :oops:

The result? 6.2. Slightly higher than I would normally have, but really? I double checked. Half an hour later 5.8 :shock:

There is not a person alive or dead who could convince me the Newcastle diet doesn't work. I am now certain that a lot if not all the visceral fat I may have had around my pancreas has gone. Before the diet, there is no way I would have got away with that carb fest, as I was (and thought I still was) very carb intolerant. Perhaps I'm not quite so sensitive to carbs as I thought? Not that I would change my ULC approach as it's what I am used to and like, but won't feel bad about a bit of a blow out now. :D

Bet I have got Atkins flu to face to get back into ketosis (boo hiss). :thumbdown:

Defren

tree-peony said:
bet it tasted FAB tho ;)

well done!

Thanks, and for all the Newcastle diet support you gave me.

The crumble was to die for TP (I put the recipe on the food forum, it's called caveman crumble). The bread rolls were pure greed, they were so nice, and warm from the oven. Smothered in butter just beyond my powers of resistance.

Defren

tree-peony said:
everyone is entitled to a treat now and again :D

Absolutely we are. Back on track today though, and my blow out seems to have caused no problems other than probably stalling my weight loss this week, but with just a stone to lose now, I can live with that. :D

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I came out of Ketosis a couple of weeks ago when I ate too many of my SIL's delicious home made biscuits and then had a baked potato with baked beans to compound my fall from grace. I am happy to say that I didn't experience Atkin's Flu this time and am back to positive Keytone readings.
So here's hoping you get away with it this time as well.
my_fingers.gif

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Defren said:
I am so shocked and for once speechless which isn't me at all. :angel:

Tonight, I broke my ultra low carb rule and - nothing! Ok, I broke it by my rules which means I had a rather large portion of rhubarb and strawberry crumble (low carb home made) with LOADS of single cream... Then I had some (home made low carb) bread and have walloped a couple of bread rolls thickened with butter :oops:

The result? 6.2. Slightly higher than I would normally have, but really? I double checked. Half an hour later 5.8 :shock:

There is not a person alive or dead who could convince me the Newcastle diet doesn't work. I am now certain that a lot if not all the visceral fat I may have had around my pancreas has gone. Before the diet, there is no way I would have got away with that carb fest, as I was (and thought I still was) very carb intolerant. Perhaps I'm not quite so sensitive to carbs as I thought? Not that I would change my ULC approach as it's what I am used to and like, but won't feel bad about a bit of a blow out now. :D

Bet I have got Atkins flu to face to get back into ketosis (boo hiss). :thumbdown:

Brilliant results :thumbup: after all that yummy food, but your making me feel hungry now, I love crumble and bread so much :( RRB

Topsec

My hubby had really high readings earlier this year, mid teens generally. We discovered LCHF and his readings came down quite quickly. His recent HBA1C was 6.1 - down from 12 last year!

I have noticed though that he seems to be able to tolerate carbs these days, not in quantity but one slice of burgen at breakfast and some porridge (different days!). He generally has two or three new potatoes with dinner and it doesn't seem to spike him like it used to.

He has lost all of his visceral fat so maybe there is something in your theory??

Anyway, well done to you - I know how strict you have been with yourself :)

Defren

Thanks everyone. I really am a coward and I know it :lol: I will overindulge with low carb things, but not anything carby, I am just too afraid. However, the crumble and bread was just amazing. I do have some bread rolls left, and I will eat them, but in a better more controlled way I think. I ended up having three yesterday :oops:

I am back on track today, and when we were in Sainsbury's cafe, my daughters both had cake, I just had a black coffee (I usually just have a black coffee) and I have no carb cravings at all. I really do hope I can skip Atkins flu, it's looking good so far, I ran up the stairs in Sainsbury's to the cafe, so loads of energy which does suggest I have been really lucky this time. :angel:

Topsec; I am 1,000.000% convinced the Newcastle Diet does exactly what Professor Taylor claimed it does, which is rid the body of visceral fat. I am also convinced, that is why I ate the amount of carbs I did yesterday, with barely any rise in my BG and certainly nowhere near the "danger levels" advised by NICE. I am sure if I had not done the diet, my BG would have been sky high last night, in the end the highest reading I got was 6.3 and it came down as quick as went up.

andrewk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Folks who "know it all" (but don't)
Defren said:
Before the diet, there is no way I would have got away with that carb fest

Carb fest? I had fish, chips and mushy peas two weeks back. Now that is a carb fest!!

My BG went up to about 10 and stayed there for quite a while - not really any better than when I tried it 12 months back. I'll accept that my pancreas and liver are fixed if I can do that and have my BG down under 6 a couple of hours later. Until then .....

Andrew

Defren

andrewk said:
Defren said:
Before the diet, there is no way I would have got away with that carb fest

Carb fest? I had fish, chips and mushy peas two weeks back. Now that is a carb fest!!

My BG went up to about 10 and stayed there for quite a while - not really any better than when I tried it 12 months back. I'll accept that my pancreas and liver are fixed if I can do that and have my BG down under 6 a couple of hours later. Until then .....

Andrew

Now just a cottonpickinminute :lol: That IS a carb fest to me :lol: I could do without the chips, but fish shop fish and mushy peas ~~~ drool!

Seriously, if I had a BG of 10 I would panic and drive myself crazy. I know me well enough to know, I just couldn't do it. I eat under 30g of carbs a day, so yesterday was a massive blow out for me. I didn't add the carbs, I stopped counting after 50 odd grams, but kept on eating. :oops:

andrewk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Folks who "know it all" (but don't)
Defren said:
Seriously, if I had a BG of 10 I would panic and drive myself crazy.

I call it my OFTT (Oral Fish & Chip Tolerance Test) - I failed. My BGs were back to "normal" (for me) the following morning. I will try again next year ............

Andrew

Defren

BeccaJaneStClair said:
Could you please explain the following terms to this low carb noob --

Ketosis?
Viscerol?
Atkins Flu?

Hi Becca, I will do my best for you. :D

When you eat carbs, they are broken down and released into the blood quickly and provide your energy needs. If you low carb, or like me ultra low carb, there is not enough carbs to power your body and provide the energy you need. I power my energy needs with fat. When you power your body by fat, a by product of that are ketones, you can either test for ketosis with ketostix and test urine, or ketone meters that you test your blood with, like a BG meter we all have. Actually I was sent a BG and ketone testing meter in one today. Another sign of keotsis, your breath and urine smell of pear drops. A ketogenic body is thought to be much more efficient that a carb powered one. Being in ketosis should not be confused with ketoacidosis that is when a person has ketones in their urine but also high BG. Ketoacidosis is very dangerous, and needs medical attention straight away, being in ketosis is a good way to run your body. Also, because you are burning fat, you lose weight quicker, hence my large weight loss in such a short time.

Visceral fat is the layer of fat that surrounds all of our organs. The problem is, if you have too much visceral fat it can make the organ have to work extra hard to do it's job. One of the benefits of the Newcastle diet, because it is so low calorie (I was taking in 504 calories a day for the first four weeks, then around 700 the last four weeks, ketosis (burning fat to fuel you) burns off the visceral fat from your organs so they work better.

Atkins flu. It is the state where you go from being a carb burner to a fat burner. You have the symptoms of flu. Because Dr. Robert Atkins was the man who brought low carb to the public's attention, the flu like symptoms are often referred to as Atkins flu. It lasts around 5 days, and then you are suddenly hit with a major energy high, that most of us keep. My energy levels are through the roof these days.

Stephen (Borofergie) will be able to give you a more scientific answer than I can as he is more knowledgeable than I. :D Hpe this helps.

Topsec

An example of hubby's diet:

Tonight we cycled to a restaurant on the beach, about 5 miles there. He had a bottle of cider, we shared a Garlic Bread (ciabatta about the size of a slice of bread but thicker) each and he had liver with mash - he did leave a little mash. Cycled home.

BG after 1.5-2hours was 6.3 so happy with that.

I have to say I think in his case, exercise is the big thing (he had been in the garden most of the day so was active pretty much all day)

BeccaJaneStClair

Defren said:
BeccaJaneStClair said:
Could you please explain the following terms to this low carb noob --

Ketosis?
Viscerol?
Atkins Flu?

Hi Becca, I will do my best for you. :D

When you eat carbs, they are broken down and released into the blood quickly and provide your energy needs. If you low carb, or like me ultra low carb, there is not enough carbs to power your body and provide the energy you need. I power my energy needs with fat. When you power your body by fat, a by product of that are ketones, you can either test for ketosis with ketostix and test urine, or ketone meters that you test your blood with, like a BG meter we all have. Actually I was sent a BG and ketone testing meter in one today. Another sign of keotsis, your breath and urine smell of pear drops. A ketogenic body is thought to be much more efficient that a carb powered one. Being in ketosis should not be confused with ketoacidosis that is when a person has ketones in their urine but also high BG. Ketoacidosis is very dangerous, and needs medical attention straight away, being in ketosis is a good way to run your body. Also, because you are burning fat, you lose weight quicker, hence my large weight loss in such a short time.

I don't know if I Low-Carb or Ultra Low Carb....probably ultra as I try not to eat any at all, but in a given day I might have between 0 and 50. So ketones are good. Should I be testing myself for this?

Visceral fat is the layer of fat that surrounds all of our organs. The problem is, if you have too much visceral fat it can make the organ have to work extra hard to do it's job. One of the benefits of the Newcastle diet, because it is so low calorie (I was taking in 504 calories a day for the first four weeks, then around 700 the last four weeks, ketosis (burning fat to fuel you) burns off the visceral fat from your organs so they work better.

Thanks. I never knew the term for this. I guess this is what I had around my liver years ago when I was told I had a "fatty liver" by my (US) GP!

Atkins flu. It is the state where you go from being a carb burner to a fat burner. You have the symptoms of flu. Because Dr. Robert Atkins was the man who brought low carb to the public's attention, the flu like symptoms are often referred to as Atkins flu. It lasts around 5 days, and then you are suddenly hit with a major energy high, that most of us keep. My energy levels are through the roof these days.

Stephen (Borofergie) will be able to give you a more scientific answer than I can as he is more knowledgeable than I. :D Hpe this helps.

OH! Is that why I felt so sick and run down when I started low carb? Learn something new!!

How different is the Newcastle diet from Atkins?

Defren

BeccaJaneStClair said:
I don't know if I Low-Carb or Ultra Low Carb....probably ultra as I try not to eat any at all, but in a given day I might have between 0 and 50. So ketones are good. Should I be testing myself for this?

Thanks. I never knew the term for this. I guess this is what I had around my liver years ago when I was told I had a "fatty liver" by my (US) GP!

OH! Is that why I felt so sick and run down when I started low carb? Learn something new!!

How different is the Newcastle diet from Atkins?

Hi Becca, you don't need to test, but you can pick up ketostix from any pharmacy. They are just simple urine sticks, and they change colour if you have ketones. T1's should test especially if they have high BG's as that could be ketoacidosis.

Yes, fatty liver is the unscientific name for visceral fat around the liver. It can be around any and all organs including our pancreas and heart.

Absolutely, feeling fluey and yuk is Atkins flu and it's 'orrible. Atkins is a low carb diet, the Newcastle diet is a mainly liquid only diet designed for T2 diabetics.

sugarmog

andrewk said:
I call it my OFTT (Oral Fish & Chip Tolerance Test) - I failed. My BGs were back to "normal" (for me) the following morning. I will try again next year ............

Andrew

I did an OFTT (minus mushy peas) last weekend. 8.6 @ 2 hours. 6.4 @ 4 hours
I did a GTT earlier today. 8.1 @ 2hours. 4.7 @ 4 hours

Do you think I can get fish and chips on the NHS next time? But seriously, it shows how lethal slow release carbs can be.

Defren

sugarmog said:
andrewk said:

Andrew

I did an OFTT (minus mushy peas) last weekend. 8.6 @ 2 hours. 6.4 @ 4 hours
I did a GTT earlier today. 8.1 @ 2hours. 4.7 @ 4 hours

Do you think I can get fish and chips on the NHS next time? But seriously, it shows how lethal slow release carbs can be.

That's the problem isn't it, if you have a carby meal, you face the possibility of carbs releasing at different times, which could theoretically push up your BG and keep it high for hours. This is why I am fully paid up member of the cowardice club, far to scared to let that happen.

Fish and chips on the NHS, isn't that what they give you anyway as dietary advice? :wink:

sugarmog

Defren said:
Fish and chips on the NHS, isn't that what they give you anyway as dietary advice? :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mind you, I should take some consolation from the fact that an OFTT this time last year had me peaked at 19 5 hours later :sick: