Worried!

DubDubDo

I had been suffering with a few symptons of type 2 diabetes for a while now. But i think i was in somewhat denial that i could have diabetes due to my age etc.

Anyway, i bit the bullet this morning and had a finger prick blood test that showed a reading of 6.8 - She then asked me if i had ate anything and i said yes, and she said okay come back soon on a day where you havent ate for 12hours prior (not really telling me to rush back lol) and it will be a more accurate reading but i wouldn't worry, doctors don't usually worry about it until its 7.

So after i go back tomorrow is it possible atall that my test will show under 6 since i haven't been eating?

I'm extremely worried.

C

chris lowe

Hi Dubdubdo - Really your readings are not that bad. Some of us would be happy to have a reading of 6.8 or 7. My husband had a bg test at the dentist (of all places) and his reading was 10 but when he went to the GP for a fasting test it was 6.4 so try not to worry too much. Good luck with the test. :)

Topsec

I noticed a sign in our local Tesco that they are doing diabetes tests, I guess it is a bg test with the meter?

I suggest you go somewhere early morning after fasting for 12 hours, so just eat your dinner etc as normal and see what your fasting BG is.

How long after you had eaten was your 6.8 and what had you eaten?

Topsec

Forgot to say you need to eat normally to get a proper reading so make sure you DO eat this evening

DubDubDo

She told me to fast for 12 hours before the second reading.

I had the test about 45-60min after i ate breakfast which was one slice of best of both toast and 2 eggs scrambled with some butter. No coffee or tea or anything like that.

Topsec

I would say that is an OK reading for an hour after eating. The fasting one will give you a better idea though. Let us know what it comes back as.

DubDubDo

Its come back as 4.8 this morning, the nurse told me i hadn;t got it.

but i have been thirsty all the time and needing to go to the toilet all the time recently so i went to the doctors and he said it could be number of things but hes going to do another kind of blood test on me just to double check for diabetes. (and to check for any thyroid issues etc)

But thats going to take upto 6weeks to come back, very annoying! Its one of those things you'd like to know about asap huh.