Broke my diet but - nothing!

Defren

sugarmog said:
Defren said:
Fish and chips on the NHS, isn't that what they give you anyway as dietary advice? :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mind you, I should take some consolation from the fact that an OFTT this time last year had me peaked at 19 5 hours later :sick:

EEK!! That's some spike! My diagnosis BG was only 7.0 :lol:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
sugarmog said:
Defren said:
Fish and chips on the NHS, isn't that what they give you anyway as dietary advice? :wink:

Mind you, I should take some consolation from the fact that an OFTT this time last year had me peaked at 19 5 hours later :sick:

What have you changed Mog? It seems from the unofficial results of your GTT today that you're a best a borderline diabetic. Have you lost weight or changed your diet or something?

SouthernGeneral6512

Defren said:
I am so shocked and for once speechless which isn't me at all. :angel:

Tonight, I broke my ultra low carb rule and - nothing! Ok, I broke it by my rules which means I had a rather large portion of rhubarb and strawberry crumble (low carb home made) with LOADS of single cream... Then I had some (home made low carb) bread and have walloped a couple of bread rolls thickened with butter :oops:

The result? 6.2. Slightly higher than I would normally have, but really? I double checked. Half an hour later 5.8 :shock:

There is not a person alive or dead who could convince me the Newcastle diet doesn't work. I am now certain that a lot if not all the visceral fat I may have had around my pancreas has gone. Before the diet, there is no way I would have got away with that carb fest, as I was (and thought I still was) very carb intolerant. Perhaps I'm not quite so sensitive to carbs as I thought? Not that I would change my ULC approach as it's what I am used to and like, but won't feel bad about a bit of a blow out now. :D

Bet I have got Atkins flu to face to get back into ketosis (boo hiss). :thumbdown:
This could be significant :clap:

sugarmog

borofergie said:
sugarmog said:
Defren said:

What have you changed Mog? It seems from the unofficial results of your GTT today that you're a best a borderline diabetic. Have you lost weight or changed your diet or something?

I modified my diet. Cut out useless calories like chocolate, sweets, biscuits etc (although I still have the occasional treat). Reduced the amount of carbs I was eating, but not to low carb levels, and brought my weight down by about a stone and a half to my ideal weight.

As I mentioned before it is all a bit confusing. If the official result of my GTT does put me just inside the non diabetic limit,( and given that venous readings can apparently be about .3mmol lower than capillery readings, it is going to be close) I will have technically done the impossible and "cured" my diabetes. Although I am aware that I won't really have, it will raise questions about how various measurements are used for diagnosis.

Defren

Topsec said:
An example of hubby's diet:

Tonight we cycled to a restaurant on the beach, about 5 miles there. He had a bottle of cider, we shared a Garlic Bread (ciabatta about the size of a slice of bread but thicker) each and he had liver with mash - he did leave a little mash. Cycled home.

BG after 1.5-2hours was 6.3 so happy with that.

I have to say I think in his case, exercise is the big thing (he had been in the garden most of the day so was active pretty much all day)

I agree Topsec. Exercise does help, as does drinking water. Even when on the Newcastle diet, my figures would show if I hadn't drunk enough water or exercised. It would only be small increases, but they were there. Now I exercise most days, but always drink lots of water (with a green tea bag waved at it or with some no added sugar squash) works for me. :D

Defren

SouthernGeneral6512 said:
Defren said:
I am so shocked and for once speechless which isn't me at all. :angel:

Tonight, I broke my ultra low carb rule and - nothing! Ok, I broke it by my rules which means I had a rather large portion of rhubarb and strawberry crumble (low carb home made) with LOADS of single cream... Then I had some (home made low carb) bread and have walloped a couple of bread rolls thickened with butter :oops:

The result? 6.2. Slightly higher than I would normally have, but really? I double checked. Half an hour later 5.8 :shock:

There is not a person alive or dead who could convince me the Newcastle diet doesn't work. I am now certain that a lot if not all the visceral fat I may have had around my pancreas has gone. Before the diet, there is no way I would have got away with that carb fest, as I was (and thought I still was) very carb intolerant. Perhaps I'm not quite so sensitive to carbs as I thought? Not that I would change my ULC approach as it's what I am used to and like, but won't feel bad about a bit of a blow out now. :D

Bet I have got Atkins flu to face to get back into ketosis (boo hiss). :thumbdown:
This could be significant :clap:

I certainly hope so General.

autumn6464

Defren" said:
Hi Becca, you don't need to test, but you can pick up ketostix from any pharmacy. They are just simple urine sticks, and they change colour if you have ketones. T1's should test especially if they have high BG's as that could be ketoacidosis.
I didnt know this - thanks. Thanks for the info about ketones and Atkins flu, didnt know that either, I'll study what you say when I have more time (bookmarked this thread). I've just had fish and chips today and after two hours my BG was - 5.9mm I've just come off the newcastle diet, and like you I think that's why my BG got back to normal (for me) so fast.

Andrewk Do you mind if I ask, have you been on the newcastle diet?

andrewk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Folks who "know it all" (but don't)
autumn6464 said:

Yes, but I used Tesco shakes most of the time which maybe have too many carbs - and to be honest, I did cheat quite a bit. Things like my daughter's 40th birthday party and holidays kind of got in the way.

I'm in a better place now than I was 12 months ago (HBA1C 6.6 from 8.9) and now on no medication (previously 4mg glimepiride, sitagliptin and 4xmetformin) - but I need to make sure I don't let the BGs creep up again. I'm planning on doing a week each quarter on ND in the hope that I'll get there eventually - might completely re-do the Newcastle diet if I don't get to where I want to be (HBA1C<6) using a step-by-step approach. I've been on Atkins Advantage shakes this week and my fasting BG this morning was 4.9 with 5.9 after breakfast and 5.8 after lunch, which ain't so bad.

Andrew

Defren

autumn6464 said:
I didnt know this - thanks. Thanks for the info about ketones and Atkins flu, didnt know that either, I'll study what you say when I have more time (bookmarked this thread). I've just had fish and chips today and after two hours my BG was - 5.9mm I've just come off the newcastle diet, and like you I think that's why my BG got back to normal (for me) so fast.

Glad it helped, it's to easy to assume that because you (you meant in a general way) know what certain things are other people do to.

Autumn, I am 100% convinced the ND really does do something. I have no idea apart from the defatting of organs, but whatever happens makes a monumental difference. I never see figures that scare me, and believe me my tolerance to high BG numbers is as low as it's possible to be. :lol: I can't remember a time when my BG was above the NICE recommendations.