going to usa soon any advice would help please

tisme

I know they have a lot of breads with high sugar i am wondering if i can get porridge oats i like to make porridge with groundlmonds pecan nuts and blueberries cinnamon and xylitol made from birch tree extract fron finland i am dreading the thought of food shopping over there .

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not been to the USA but I'd imagine you'll find all those ingredients in most big chain stores.

Topsec

We live in Texas part of the year and can confirm you will be able to buy all the products you listed in the Grocery Stores.

You are right, generally their bread is highly sugared, you will find some low carb breads though in the speciality sections, there is a brand called Ezeckial (sp) found in the freezer section (not full of their usual preservatives so has to be sold frozen!) There is also a low carb tortilla bread sold too which I like.

You should actually find it easier to shop there than here in the UK.

Let me know if you want to know anything else

hallii

Just be aware that many foods that over here may not contain sugar probably will over there, somtimes in surprising amounts!

Portions of food when eating out are ENORMOUS compared to what we get in the UK.

I am a vegetarian but the steaks are half a cow size!

Have fun.

H

Fraddycat

I think that's the worst/best thing about the US, the food is amazing and so VERY tempting. My will power is challenged every day. Quite often in restaurants you are presented with lovely low carb options, but the high carb options look so very good and are really strongly marketed. I try to only ever eat half of a meal. Ultimately it will be up to you to make good choices and show determination! Good luck

dawnb64

We went to New York and Washington DC a few weeks ago and I too asked forum members for advice, particularly regarding lunches. We found loads of delis and health food stores in New York where you could either purchase ready made salads (with dressings served separately - often in sachets with nutritional info) or make/order your own. When we stayed just outside Washington we found supermarkets that also did this.

Restaurants were very accomodating and would swap carbs for veg. Be aware that if you order a meal with a side salad this comes first like a starter.

It's probably wise to buy something to eat on the flight as what we were offered was carbohydrate overload!!! -
BA Lunch was Butter chicken with rice or pasta in cheese sauce
with cous cous and a few token leaves, bread roll and a pot of fruit posset (I think) - didn't eat as too many carbs.

Tea was a chicken salad sandwich with a chocolate biscuit.

AA Dinner was Chicken in mushroom sauce with rice and a few token veg, small salad and may have been a bread roll. Then, I think a chocolate brownie type thing and cheese triangle and crackers.

I think breakfast was fruit juice and a Danish pastry.

Dawn