How does change in temp affect you?

Unbeliever

I am T2 on meds . I am almost sure the ot weather makes nmuy levels rise but it might be the case that I behave differenly re food and exercise when its hot rather han the heat itself. It never lasts long enough for me to be sure!

the cold weather on the other habd really affects me. My levels especially after my daily walk can often be in the 3s and occasionally 2s. I seem to lose my hypo awareness in cold weaher too. I

Obviously the cold weaher uses up more energy. I would like to he warmer weaher to last a litle longer - just so I can experiment wih my level of course!

Juliette40

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
I hate slow drivers!
thetallerpaul said:
In theory extremes of either cold or heat will impact on BG's as your bodies homeostatic mechanisms have to work harder. Its interesting that for some it goes up and others go down though!

Hey there

Just done a search about the affect of hot weather on BG and found your helpful advice. The last 3 days have seen my BG rise by about 2.3mml/l. I've tried to eat my normal diet and number of carbs as I see the readings as skewed. Is this the right thing to do, or should I reduce my carb intake to compensate for the rise. I'm T2 and on slow release metformin so can't adjust insulin.

Oddly, they seem back to normal today. Why? It's just as hot.

Juliette x :?:

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Mine are up a couple of mmol over the last few days but I can cope with that temporarily-It's sweating like a glass blowers Ars@ I can't stand! No breeze at all today! :thumbdown:

Defren

My appetite has shot up and my BG's are slightly up as well. Roll on winter or I'm going to look like a weeble. :lol:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All...
This close muggy weather affects my blood sugar levels a lot.
Am bouncing up and down like a yo-yo , makes it much harder to make sense of
what is going on and what to do !
Haven't changed my eating style or plan either, I have to just up n down my insulin dose
according to my meter readings accordingly.
It's all I can do till it cools and things settle back down.
Diabetes is full of suprises !!! oh and it can be unpredictable too !!! :thumbdown:
This makes things 'harder' to control ...
Anna.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Do you know this forum is an endless source of enlightenment. I have been sat here this last week and pondering why my BG has risen slightly, I have been getting readings in the high 5's to mid 6's all this week; Yet my diet has not changed? I now have the probable cause, the temperature. It has been warmer this last week. I was thinking it was because of a change in my Blood pressure medication. I am now thinking that my BG goes up slightly as the temp rises, I would imagine there is nothing I can do to stop this happening? Thank's Guy's I will watch my readings and the temperature with interest now. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Juliette40

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
I hate slow drivers!
Paul1976 said:
Mine are up a couple of mmol over the last few days but I can cope with that temporarily-It's sweating like a glass blowers Ars@ I can't stand! No breeze at all today! :thumbdown:

Hi Paul!

Thanks for your input. You made me split my sides laughing! I know what you mean though! We went to LLandudno yesterday for our wedding anniversary. I reccommend the sea breeze (hurricane) for the glass blower's **** syndrome!

LOL Juliette x :lol:

Juliette40

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
I hate slow drivers!
RoyG said:
Do you know this forum is an endless source of enlightenment. I have been sat here this last week and pondering why my BG has risen slightly, I have been getting readings in the high 5's to mid 6's all this week; Yet my diet has not changed? I now have the probable cause, the temperature. ...Thank's Guy's I will watch my readings and the temperature with interest now. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hi Roy

I agree...there are a lot of helpful, knowledgeable folks out there. The responses to my post have set my mind at rest too. I'd never tried the search facility before, but it's amazing what's stored in the system. I guess diabetics have pondered the same questions for decades.

Thanks everyone for your help and reassurance.Juliette x :crazy:

375lindyloo

I am type 2 on diet and have to watch my cholesterol also. I have found my bg has been dropping with the warm weather which is resulting in weakness and I've been having to rest after eating something and wait until it goes up again. On odd times it has gone up for no apparent reason and caught me on the hop as same symptoms as low bg. Luckily I have been testing more to find out which foods take it up.

mrawfell

Re: How does change in temp affect you?

Postby catza » May 29th, 2012, 2:21 pm
I'm T2 on Metformin and this hot weather is effecting my levels, I am back up to the high 5 and 6's with exercise making me even higher. It's most disconcerting having no control so it must be even worse for those of you on insulin. I wonder if we would eventually become 'acclimatised' if the hot weather lasted for several weeks rather than just days?

I am T2 am retired and live in the Philippines. Temperature range here in a typical year 35 to 25. I was diagnosed here and have very little ( I won't say any and tempt fate ) trouble maintaining my BG between 5 and 6. Last HbA1c 4.7 So yes you can get used to warm weather.

Juliette40

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
I hate slow drivers!
Hey there, Juliette again.

Thanks for your posts. Glad it's not just me with readings all over the place in the heat. Yesterday, I was positively cold. My BG dipped to 2.4. I do get cold (the only hypo symptom I do get!) when my sugar levels are low but it seemed that the weather was colder anyway. Chicken and egg? :?: