Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Despite being ex-directory, registering with the TPS and my telephone provider blocking withheld numbers we are still getting on average 3 phone calls a day from cold callers selling PPI claims........most are from South Asia I am told, without changing my number has anyone got any suggestions?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
You could try something like this. One of my children got one and reckoned it stopped most calls within a few weeks.

www.t r u e c a l l.co.uk/

Defren

I get them quite often as well. All I do is put the phone down and carry on with my day, leaving them to waffle on to themselves. It's their phone bill not mine, so I don't care!

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I just ignore any number beginning with 0800,0845,witheld or international when they show up on caller display,TPS only seemed to stop a few calls in my case even though it's illegal for these Telesales creeps to ring a TPS registered number. :evil
Xyzzys suggestion sounds worth looking in to.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks everyone for the advice. The Truecall does look interesting although a little pricey at £100, my phone provider say they will now change my number should I choose but would need crime number from the Police, apparently cold-callers fall into nuisance/malicious phone calls and should be reported to the Police, I'll be very wary from here-on to which companies I give my details to!

Craigybus

They get around it by simply using automated dialler devices which are illegal, but as they often call from overseas contries, they do not give 2 tosses.
Give them a load of garbage and pretend to be a loony.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Craigybus said:
They get around it by simply using automated dialler devices which are illegal, but as they often call from overseas contries, they do not give 2 tosses.
Give them a load of garbage and pretend to be a loony.

Thanks Craig, the latest development is the Police don't want to know as the calls aren't classed as abusive so the cold-callers are not breaking the law under the Home Office Regs, they said my phone provider shouldn't have said this and the Police can't give a crime number unless they investigate the calls....which they won't do unless the calls did become abusive :crazy:

Going to change my number anyways!

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I hate these callers. We rarely get them because we are ex-directory and have been for over 25 years now. When we do get them, they are generated by a random dialler. I had to call a patient from work a few weeks ago to confirm an appointment and when she answered she was very hesitant and when she realised it was me, was very apologetic and said that she gets marketing and PPI calls all day and she has reached the point where she cries when she gets a call. This poor lady was over 80 years old. I did what I did with my mum who is a similar age and signed her up for the telephone preference service, warning her that it might not work. Last week she came into work with a huge box of chocolates for me because the calls had stopped. I didn't have the heart the tell her that I don't eat chocolate, but the other staff at the clinic really enjoyed them. I also told her that if anyone else she knew wanted signing up, I'd be happy to do it for them. Lots of elderly people don't have access to the internet to sign up for things like the telephone preference service.

shop

didie said:
I hate these callers. We rarely get them because we are ex-directory and have been for over 25 years now. When we do get them, they are generated by a random dialler. I had to call a patient from work a few weeks ago to confirm an appointment and when she answered she was very hesitant and when she realised it was me, was very apologetic and said that she gets marketing and PPI calls all day and she has reached the point where she cries when she gets a call. This poor lady was over 80 years old. I did what I did with my mum who is a similar age and signed her up for the telephone preference service, warning her that it might not work. Last week she came into work with a huge box of chocolates for me because the calls had stopped. I didn't have the heart the tell her that I don't eat chocolate, but the other staff at the clinic really enjoyed them. I also told her that if anyone else she knew wanted signing up, I'd be happy to do it for them. Lots of elderly people don't have access to the internet to sign up for things like the telephone preference service.

:thumbup: :D

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A good one for unwanted callers is the Eric Morecombe one liner when he answers the phone and says, "There's no phone here!"