Carbs in a salad

CLP

Hi All

Need help with something, just moved on to Basal Bolus (Levemir and Novorapid) and readings all over the place and trying to get to grips with it all.

My BG reading before lunch was 8.2 :( I know thats bad but since starting this on Saturday its been running high to say the least.)

Then I had lunch of:
1 little gem lettuce heart, 1 med tomato, 2 radishes, few slices cucumber, stick of celery, couple of spring onions and a small portion of egg mayonaise with bacon (sandwich filler) 1 nairn oatbiscuit - 4g carb in this.

I took 3 units of novorapid to cover this. 2 hours later I was 8.9.

Now my DN says not to count carbs in veg (which is rubbish) however I cannot see how what I had amounted to roughly 30g carb (based on the average of 1 unit for 10g carb). From her point of view I had 3 units to cover 1 nairn oatbiscuit :lol: which is ridiculous.

So either I am completely miscalculating the carb content of the salad or ???

Can anyone help me with this. Its doing my head in!! :?

claire

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I can't see any significant carbs in your salad.
Perhaps your insulin to carb ratio is wrong. How about trying a BG test, eating a known amount of carb( a glucose tab perhaps) taking what you think is the right amount of insulin and checking after an hour. If it's not right, try again on another occasion, with either more or less insulin as needed. If you try several times, you should find your personal insulin to carb ratio. It's probably very individual
In the meantime Google Lois Jovanovic and diabetes symposium. she gives some interesting stuff on working out insulin to carb ratios.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
If this was bought egg mayo and bacon filler ,some of them have quite a high carb content.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Protein also raises blood sugar. Don't know if there's an easy way to estimate/calculate carbs for this - maybe fergus knows?

CLP

Thanks hanadr, I'll give the test a go, see what happens.

I did wonder about the shop bought sandwich filler but I could have sworn it was ok, I'll have to check on it.

claire