Dislikes
I hate slow drivers!
159redbus said:
could some one please tell me
what my average blood test level is dr said long range 10
:shock:
thanks

Hi there!

Not quite sure why your doctor referred to it as a 'long range' reading. I presume he means your HbA1c is 10 %. The HbA1c is a blood test done by your doctor/nurse which measures your average blood sugars over the last 10 weeks or so. This is because your blood is gradually renewed by your body so every 10 weeks or so, it's a different, erm... load of blood. This is why they wait 3 months before redoing the test. :eh:

Don't confuse 10% with 10 mmol/l which is what your blood test meter measures in. They aren't the same. My last HbA1c was 5.5% but that equated to 4.7 mmol/l. Someone on this forum said the other day that diabetes Uk website has some converters to change one to the other, if you want to play about with that. :think:

As for whether 10% is good or bad, that depends on your circumstances. If it had previously been higher, then 10% is good and shows you're gaining control of your sugars. Generally, it's good to have an HbA1c under 7.5%, with under 6.5% being preferred. Mine was 10.8% when diagnosed 13 months ago and has come down to 5.5%. Hopefully, yours will do so too. :D

Finally, it may be worth asking your GP/diabetic nurse if they can send you on a training course to explain all these things to you. I went on the X-PERT diabetes programme which ran over 6 sessions. It covered everything from diagnosis and the disease, weight management, carb awareness, food labels and medical complications to medication. It was packed with handy hints and I learnt a lot from other diabetics in the group too. It was free and part of your NHS entitlement as a diabetic. You can even take a friend with you for free. :thumbup:

All the best, Juliette x :crazy:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
159redbus said:
could some one please tell me
what my average blood test level is dr said long range 10
but i thought that ment like when you did it yourself on a meter
no body has ever said what it means
so i thought 10 was quite good
:shock:
thanks

Ignore the "long range" you need to try and keep your meter score below 8, 2 hours after eating.

Fraddycat

I've never been offered any type of diabetes training ... that would have been brilliant when I was first diagnosed. I just had to get books out of the library and do my own research. Around about the same time I watched my grandmother die of diabetes complications (kidney failure) and I had never felt more lost and alone. Having found this forum and the group support I now realise that the NHS is appalingly bad at looking after us, and we are our own support group. I have learned more in a month from this forum than from 3 years under my GPs care.

159redbus

hi my drs are disqusting wont perscribe testing strips for last 5 years
at first i used to argue about it and got some
now i buy them the odd timeat £28.00
but i know about codefree ones at £5.00 i shall get those
unless i go on insulin?
its awfull when you are alone but cheer up
watch the olympics :D

Juliette40

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
I hate slow drivers!
Fraddycat said:
I've never been offered any type of diabetes training ... that would have been brilliant when I was first diagnosed. I just had to get books out of the library and do my own research. Around about the same time I watched my grandmother die of diabetes complications (kidney failure) and I had never felt more lost and alone. Having found this forum and the group support I now realise that the NHS is appalingly bad at looking after us, and we are our own support group. I have learned more in a month from this forum than from 3 years under my GPs care.

Hey there!

What an absolutely horrendous thing to happen to you. I know something of how you must have felt as my grandfather suffered organ failure too, again due to diabetes. I try to use this as a positive legacy, to provide me with a constant reminder of why I must control my diabetes. :|

Sorry the NHS failed you, as it seems to have failed others, on the education front. I really do see diabetes care as a postcode lottery. :roll: I only hope that others out there, upon reading these posts, will learn what they should be entitled to and insist on getting just that from their own diabetes team.

Finally, I couldn't agree more with your sentiment about this forum. In the main, it has been most supportive and informative. It's good to chat to folk who have first-hand experience of, rather than simply training in, diabetes.

Long may it continue! :thumbup: :clap:

Fraddycat

Thanks Juliette!! I like your motto, very apt. Take control of your diabetes, not the other way round.

I've just been to a party with afternoon tea, cupcakes, sandwiches, chocolate cake, I resisted everything really strongly, and felt very much in control. I did indulge in raspberries with clotted cream with zero guilt :)

Juliette40

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
I hate slow drivers!
Fraddycat said:
I've just been to a party with afternoon tea, cupcakes, sandwiches, chocolate cake, I resisted everything really strongly, and felt very much in control. I did indulge in raspberries with clotted cream with zero guilt :)

WOW! Well done friend! :clap: You know you're in control when you can look and not feel compelled to touch (with tongue). If only you could bottle such self-control. You'd be a rich person indeed.

Take care
Juliette x :wave: