Controlling multiple conditions - new study: only 1 in 3 can

Cowboyjim

Back from the break with some cheery and obvious to us news of another study... but I think this is worthy of attention since perhaps the approach is try to treat once condition at once when we all know it aint that simple.... 8)

Study finds people have difficulty controlling multiple chronic conditions
"Most people who have diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol have difficultly managing all three conditions; indeed, success is fleeting for those who do manage all three, according to a Kaiser Permanente Institute for Health Research study that appears online in the American Heart Association journal Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes.
"The study of close to 29,000 individuals enrolled at Kaiser Permanente Colorado and Denver Health found that only 30.3 percent at Kaiser Permanente and 16.2 percent of individuals at Denver Health were able to simultaneously control their diabetes, hypertension, and hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol), as measured by risk factor control guidelines defined by the American Diabetes Association. But among those individuals that achieved simultaneous control of their conditions, few were able to maintain it at either institution.
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-07/kp-sfp073112.php

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Controlling multiple conditions - new study: only 1 in 3

pick two out of three to target... for me it's keeping the blood glucose levels down and also trying to get my blood pressure down. If it needs a low carb with plenty of fat in it diet, then so be it...

The dieticians are obsessed with keeping fat intake down as apparently it reduces bad cholesterol... as far as I'm concerned, glucose levels and blood pressure are more immediate threats to my health.

Cowboyjim

That is what I do too... tho they will insist otherwise. But I suspect too few of them suffer like we do. If they did then I might listen and react.
If my LDL/HDL is OK then that is a bonus.
Nowhere have I read about any connection between cholesterol and blood pressure even tho simplistically clogged arteries should have higher pressure much like furred pipes.
And I doubt I have heard any advice let alone a regimen being offered to me officially about how to deal with all three at the same time. Most advice is mutually contradictory... wish someone would study that...
All the best with your efforts Paul.

simply_h

Dear All,

Hope we are all well.

I can only speak from my own experiences, so they may only be right for me.

I don’t know were all these doctors and nurses come to the conclusion that once they get a diagnosis of Diabetes, that Blood Pressure (BP) and cholesterol must be also there.

As when I was told for the 1st time that I was actually a diabetic it was a shock for me, I was still taking it in, and the nurse was putting on the cuff to measure my BP, and then she said “eee that is high as well”.

I have never had a high BP, I have been told by the doctors and nurses there that my BP was always on the lower side in the normal range, but once you become a diabetic everything seems to change.

I have always had elevated cholesterol, for around 10 years that I can remember, but since the diagnoses of Diabetes, they seem to think they are all connected and want to me take a load of pills for it.

My view with my experience that I have got in the last 18months is, keep an eye on my BP and with my cholesterol is to make sure that my HDL’s Trigs are all in range, my only issue is the LDL’s, they are high, but they have always been high, I am currently in the process of trying to convince my G.P to test to see which type of LDL’s I have type A or type B. Not having much luck ect, but we can only hope...

With my diabetes I have just got my HBa1C down to 5.7%, so I still have some way to go…

But my MAIN job is to control the Diabetes 1st, as the rest will start to come right, as I have found to control diabetes, I lost weight, do more exercise, eat a better balanced diet for diabetics (in my case Low carb) which all helps the other 2 aspects.

Only my view that seems to have made my life a little easier, else a person can go mad, as the dreaded D (as I call it) can really take over a person’s life, then there are all the little complications, which lead on to the bigger complications.

I also do understand that the doctors and nurses are only trying to help us but somtimes do have there hands tied by rules etc.

Then once the doctors have finished with you, you are on so many pills; you could forget which pill is what for condition, hence why I took the decision to take no pills at all, but I do ask a lot of questions on our wonderfull forum.

Cheers
Simply

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

According to http://eurheartj.oxfordjournals.org/con ... 4.full.pdf, there are four principal factors that affect life expectancy in diabetics: smoking, cholesterol, blood pressure and blood glucose.

Body mass is not highlighted as a factor, but presumably it is manageable by way of the other factors.

Each can be controlled by a combination of drugs and lifestyle factors.

Very few diabetics who I meet have either the desire or the resolve to control those factors.

Clinical advice leads to diabetics making excuses, e.g. "the doctor told me that it was perfectly ok to eat mash potato", "the nurse told me that I can eat anything that non-diabetics eat". The medical community licenses poor management.

When diabetics achieve good control they stand to get slapped by the diabetic nurse because of the method they used to control it.

The best strategy is to follow the regime that brings about control of all factors and then lie, lie ,lie to the diabetic nurse. That way his/her slap is avoided.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

sterling said:
The best strategy is to follow the regime that brings about control of all factors and then lie, lie ,lie to the diabetic nurse. That way his/her slap is avoided.

please don't lie... then they think their advice is working and perpetuate it on others.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

I eat low-carb to control my blood glucose levels (Viv's Modified Atkins Diet in Sticky Threads).

The side-effects are reduced weight (62lbs so far - very slow now), reduced BP (still take 2.5mg of Lisinopril for my kidneys) and acceptable cholesterol levels.

It works for me! :D

Viv 8)

smitha48

Hi All,

I read this with interest as just over a year ago i was diagnosed T2, some 6 months after being told i have serious CVD, and just before stents 8, 9 and 10 were inserted.

At the time my BP was really low (110/65), but still normal. I'm on a plethora of drugs, all for the CVD, and it seems my BP is worsening (143/87), my kidney function is reducing (now at 80) even though i've lost 12 kg since CVD diagnosis, and am still losing.

Point is it does seem that while you can control 1 or 2 conditions, others seem to creep up on you especially when you are taking a cocktail of drugs.

BTW i do exercise (3 x a week in the gym and also 3 x a week swimming. Plus play golf 2 or 3 times a week).

I have my next multi condition appt in Sep, where they look at all of the above, and no doubt they will say everything is ok BUT we'll keep an eye on !!!!!

TTFN

Tony :)