Insulin advice please

Meg2009Arm

Hi

I'm a type 2(ish) who is currently being reviwed by consultants due to loosing too much weight trying to keep my BS levels good (which I did) on the medication I was on (SR metformin and Sitagliptin). This was the medication my doctor prescribed me about three years ago and after some nagging on my part I got to see a consultant after saying my weight keeps falling (BMI 17) and I still get the odd high BS even though I'm not eating much carb.

Consultants are running tests but decided I should try insulin to allow me to eat abit better and sort my weight issue out. To cut a long story short I tried NovoRapid for three weeks then went onto Insuman Rapid. This is because I find it difficult to avoid hypo's. I eat about three snacks a day (usually apples or cereal bars) inbetween my main meals and often one just before bed as night time hypos are frequent too. The latest thing is to try a long acting Insulin.

I aim for a BS level of 5.5-7 after meals but this never sees me through to my next meal. If I do any sort of activity my BS level plumetts quickly.

Am I just not getting the units right or is this normal?

Thanks

Meg :?

Tracey69

Hi and welcome,
Just read your message, i was wondering whether you need to adjust (lower) your insulin by a unit or two, especially if your BS are dropping to quick.
Please make sure you test if you lower the insulin as i wouldn't want your bs level to start rising to much, especially as you have good Control.
Just remember we can only go by own experiences, we are not Doctors.
Take care
Tracey

henrymilathy

This is very serious problem..As you are taking so much precautions But still the Sugar level is so high..How it can be happened..??? You said you have a good control on your diet..But your weight is gradually decreasing...Do one thing just concern with a good doctor who could explain you the proper solution....Otherwise it can be harmful for the complete lifetime..

Meg2009Arm

Thanks for the replies. I'm still struggling abit with the situation. I have told my diabetes care team who seem happy to address the problem at my next meeting with my consultant on 17th Sept. They said I may need a slower release form of insulin.
I'm not doing too badly at keeping my levels OK but am constantly mindfull that I will be having a hypo if I don't have an apple or something before my next meal. I don't go anywhere without fruit and cereal bars close to hand.
The weight issue was just due to my strict diet when i was on pills and diet only. Now I have broadened my food ranges I have gained 3 kilos which I am happy with.

Cheers :)