new carb book

mercury

Just been to the library and found a book called carbs and Cals. Well, it's new to me at least. it gives you a picture of whatever food you want with all the information and portion size. There is also a website with it, not sure if I can put a link to it, still all new to me this forum thinghy, maybe some one can tell me if its allowed?. Anyway if you know of this book I would appreciate your thoughts on it, thanks

Maddiemo1

Yes I think I have that somewhere, is it the one with just all pictures on every page and different sizes of meals? You have just remained me I have it, must find it now. I think it's a good little book

ailsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have this book I think it is good for portion control and for checking the amount of carbs you are eating. Also the Collins Gem Carb Counter is good if you are trying for a low carb diet. I can also recommend Escape the Diet Trap by Dr John Briffa. I always suggest you have a look at them in Waterstones or your local library before you buy. Good luck.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
This book was recommended to me by my dietitian but I've yet to purchase it.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
And I am about to sell mine, brand new, but as I dont eat meat or the trad food its no good to me.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got the app of this book on my Android phone, useful when you are out. Think you can also get it for an iPhone.

dawnb64

I bought the pocket guide which I found useful and then purchased the full size book carbs & cals & protein & fat.

I was disappointed with this, though, as apart from having 6 pictures for each type of food, as opposed to the 2 in the pocket book, there don't seem to be any additional foods shown.

i just started carbohydrate counting and was told to purchase the carbs & cals book its ordered and nearly here but i also got the app on the ipod its amazing! its sooo handy when im out unforchunately theres no coffee in the index? dont know why because even some pictures for foods shoe that there is no carbs for it so i dont know why there are no coffee pictures but sure ah well haha if you got the one with protein and fats you've gotton the wrong one.. the carbs&cals book is specifically for diabetics its amazing ! on the app you can add meals from B L D then there is S1 S2 and S3 (BREAKFAST,LUNCH,DINNER,SNACK 1,2 AND3) So you can just look at it again because your going to eat that food again sometime ! seriously its so handy i was really pleased so i dont know if you guys are just reading the wrong book or being ungreatful that you still have to work out for some foods but its basically handing you the ease of being able to look at a picture and telling you exactly how many carbs is in it AMAZING it has the actual weight of the food under the picture aswell so make sure you still weigh the food because pictures can be misleading sometimes ! hope this helps

dawnb64

Hi Molly
I think the book I have has the identical information to the one you've ordered with the addition of that for proteins and fats.

All I'm saying is don't order the bigger version if you've already got the pocket guide thinking it will contain a wider variety of food - it doesn't. I have found it very useful - that and the nutritional information on supermarket online sites!

Dawn